X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 model 2 find

Found this today and almost hurled.
    90% all there but needs some help.
    Look at what somebody did to this guitar.
    I did buy it and will get it all apart tonight and get that black paint off and back to the black cherry finish.
    They yanked the Kahler two point trem and put on a Gotoh 105 vintage trem and left the stud anchors so thats a good thing.
    Odd thing being an 86 it has the small pick up ring not the big one like most model series guitas.So I'm hoping the pick up is a J-90 alnico and not the ceramic.It shows no sign of glue on the bobbins so no cover was ever on it.Some of the very early ones had the small rings.
    Has the Kahler string lock as well not the Jackson string lock.
    It looks like shit now so don't puke.

Last edited by straycat; 01-12-2010, 07:54 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I'm surprised it still had the locking nut on it...can't use it since they swapped with a non-fine tune bridge! If the price was right, I'd pick it up too. But yes, it looks like u got your work cut out for ya.

And yes, they used the regular and not oversized humbuckers in 86.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Ugh, my eyes, it burns. The HATE the PAIN. What the f is that writing on the body? Does that say latte? I can't really tell.
      It hurts to see this kind of shit but I'm glad you're taking it on. Keep us posted on the restoration progress. Interesting that he/she/it replaced the kahler with the age correct trem from that era. Those aren't commonly on any of the auction sites. By the way, what did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

The good thing is that the damage looks superficial. The black paint looks thin and luckily the old studs are still there.
        My gear
        87 Charvel Model 6
        86 Charvel Model 4
        93 Jackson RR EX
        93 Jackson Kelly STD
        88 Ibanez RG560
        99 Schecter Diamond C-7
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I got it for $100.00 + a TKL gag bag.
          Yeah the 105 trem is correct so at least I have one for futher use down the road.
          The writing on the body says"HATE" oh wow how brutal huh?
          Its got 11- 56's on it now so its a metal guitar for sure.
          Electronics are toast and lots of bubble gum for soldering so all that mess is coming out.
          Going to go work on it now and see what that pick up is.
          Last edited by straycat; 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Oh....oh, man!
            You'll do fine with it.

Another steal, stray.

Comment

Is that "Hate N' Pain" on the inlays??? ROFL

Comment

Yeah I got all that off fine.I'm having trouble getting the black paint off tho'.
                Tried scraping some off with a credit card then tried some WD-40 which usualy will take off rattle can paint but its not budging this paint.
                Anyone have any ideas I do want to save the original paint.
                So sanding is not an option.
                I do have some 1000 grit wet dry sand paper that might just scuff the original clear but I could buff it out I would think.
                The pick up is a J-80C I would say the sticker says model 3 bridge.11.8k
                Last edited by straycat; 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Try Acetone to remove the black crap paint job. It should work without doing any damage to the origional finish . I did that to an old pawn score bass with the same paint issues, turned out beautifully...use rubber gloves though, acetone is brutal on hands.
                  Good luck!

Comment

Had to resort to 800 grit wet dry sandpaper and mineral spirits but the black is finally coming off. Just have the top to sand BTW got the hate logo off holy shit the guy laid the paint on thick what a douche nozzel.
                    Found a few places where the clear coat has chipped off, one paint chip down to the primer but once I get all the paint off touch up(need to find some fingernail polish close to the color) and block sand it smooth it will get some clear,sand and buff.
                    Tip.mineral sprits is an awesome sanding medium much better than water.
                    Water can get down in the little holes and swell the paint,mineral spirits wont swell the wood and lubes the sand paper and keeps it real clean.
                    If you do get paint build up on the sandpaper just scrape with a razor blade and the paper is good for another round.
                    Last edited by straycat; 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Wow, amazing what some idiots will do!

Best of luck with the restoration...looking forward to AFTER pics!

Comment

You shoulda just hit it with some paint stripper. Would have taken that finish off in about 10 minutes, but it wont even touch the factory finish. Believe me, Ive tried.
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I didn't know that color came on Model 2s in 86. Seen Model 4s with it. Thought 1, 2, & 3 only came in white, red, & black.
                          Do know the clear is thick on them though.

How's the headstock?
                          Models
                          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                          I dont need furniture.
                          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                          And rock that sucker.

Comment

I have seen a few in that color over the years mostly on model 5's tho'.
                            I just have the top to go and some touch ups then a light coat of clear,Should look OK when done.
                            Have thought of stripping and going bubble gum pink with a black bullseye if the original paint doesn't come back to life.
                            I need some Kahler trem posts now I did find some parts to fix the broken string tension piece.
                            Headstock is fine the tip has normal wear.I need to scuff the face of the headstock and buff it back into shape.
                            Last edited by straycat; 01-27-2010, 04:00 AM.

Comment

A lot of Japan guitar makers from the 80s used paint from the Japan auto manufacturers. Toyota being one. Don't know if Charvel/Jackson did it, But if so, You might be able to still get that touch-up color.
                              Models
                              The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                              I dont need furniture.
                              If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                              If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                              And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
                              X