No announcement yet.

gibson 79 "the paul"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find those prices way out of line never have I seen one sell for over $300.00.I bet you couldn't get $150.00 from a Gibson collector.They don't consider these "real" Les Pauls anyway.Hell they shun the Kalamzoo made L.P's which I think are cool.
    L.P collectors are some quirky people way too anal for me.
    To reiterate I wouldn't trade the RR pro for the Paul you would be getting the brown end of the stick.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-12989.htm

There's ya one for $650.
      "POOP"

Comment

I had a "The Paul" back in the 80s. It was a very buttery player. I can't really comment on tone because I played through a little solid state Gorilla at that time. I have no idea what one would be worth today.
        The Guitars:
        Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
        The Amps:
        Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

I had a "The Paul" a few years back and thought it played and sounded good. LP bodies are uncomfortable to me, so I sold it. I also had a Firebrand SG a long time ago and it kicked ass. If it hadn't got stolen, I'd still have it. I bought it new as my first guitar when I was 15. I've yet to find an SG that I like as much.
          I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            IMO are tone turds............I have had 4 of these and was not impressed at all.
            I have to ask, since they were tone turds, what convinced you to keep on buying them?
            "POOP"

Comment

yeah i'll just wait til i have the money to get a nice used studio. doesnt sound like this guitar is worth much and not worth my pro.

Comment

Had one about 15 years ago-traded a 5 dollar yard sale classical made in Spain and 75 bucks for it. Cool guitar-mine had a chrome Kahler a with a Bill Lawrence 500 in the back and a Dimarzio PAF up front. It sounded pretty badass through my 50 watt 800 with a Proco Rat-but then again even my " dump found " Ampeg Stud sounded good with that setup. Traded it for a Model 1 and some pedals- the guy that got it loved it because it looked like Bob Marley's guitar. jdr94-keep your Jackson brother, you'll be glad you did. The Les Paul faded cherry Special is a way better playing and sounding axe-also a better deal.

Comment

Well I bought all 4 at an auction and got them dirt cheap thinking I'd make some money.It took me several years to move them.I'll admit one did sound pretty good but it had classic 57's.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just for shits and giggles and to provide a published reference, here's an estimate of The Paul's worth from The Blue Book of Electric Guitars, 7th Edition. Copyright 2001

Page 382

The Paul (Standard) Mfg. 1978-1982 Value based on condition.

Mint $N/A
                    Near Mint $425
                    EXC+ $375
                    EXC $300
                    VG+ $250
                    VG $225
                    G $200
                    "POOP"

Comment

woah, thats not good.

Comment

My uncle has played an old "The Paul" as his primary guitar for years and years. He's a clean fingerpicker type guy, and gets amazing sounds from it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                          woah, thats not good.
                          Don't forget, those price estimates are 7 years old.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                            I am not trying to convince you one way or another. You have to be happy with what you get. I am merely giving my opinion here and maybe some advice. I would think that for $750 you can get a used SG Standard with some bumps and bruises or you can definitely get a nice used Explorer or V. I would rather even get a used LP Studio for my $750.

And one thing I would never ever do is trade a 90's neck thru RR Pro for a "the Paul".

If you are happy with the trade, go for it.

+1.

You can find a Used SG for that kind of scratch and it will be the real deal. But if this guitar feels and sounds better to you than anything else you have tried iat that price range....then I say great deal and go for it.

Comment

yeah i think my rhoads and i were just meant to be together. a couple weeks ago i was broke as hell and no one bought it. sure i was askin a bit much, but considering what i paid i felt it was a good deal. anyways, i think i'm just gonna stick to jacksons as i have for the past 16 years. i just thought it'd be nice for a change, but i owned two LP studios which i loved and i dont even know why i sold those. i got one as a gift and the other for CHEAP ($200) cause the kid didnt know what he had. doubt i'll ever get a deal like that again

Comment

Working...
                              X