gibson 79 "the paul"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibson 79 "the paul"

anybody have any experience with one of these. what are your thoughts on it? i ask cause i found one and was thinkin bout gettin it thru trade.

Not bad little guitars. If I remember correctly, they were constructed (both body and neck) of walnut. I looked at one several years ago and almost pulled the trigger, but it had a slight neck twist.

One other thing, some people say that The Paul was loaded with Dirty Finger humbuckers. I'm pretty sure that the DFs were not installed until about 1983 in the deluxe model of The Paul.

As for price, I wouldn't pay more than about $525 unless it was in pristine condition.
    "POOP"

Comment

yeah this one looks to be in pretty good condition. he's askin 750, but i was thinkin of trading my rhoads pro since no one wanted to buy it. the only concern of mine is the headstock looks wierd to me. it almost looks epiphone like. heres a pic.

looks kinda suspect to me, but i dont know gibsons all that well. also the serial is 7 199500 which is kinda wierd cause thru my research i found that they should have either a 6 or 8 digit and this one has one number,space,six numbers.

Comment

Here's a reference for you. It may just be camera angle on your picture. I'm also not familiar with that serial number designation.
        "POOP"

Comment

I would not do a trade for this reason "The Pauls" were an entry level L.P.and not worth much over $300.00 in mint shape.
          Yes they are made of walnut and IMO are tone turds.Some did come with the DF pickups because thats what was in the pickup bin and thats what they had on hand at the time.
          I have had 4 of these and was not impressed at all.I was able to unload them all at a guitar show a couple of years ago. At shows they sell for around $200-250 at best.
          Keep the RR pro its a way better guitar to offer up in trade for someting better.The Paul will be very hard to sell trust me.
          I set up booths at guitar shows quite a lot and I watch what sells and what dosen't.
          Last edited by straycat; 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Vintage Value For 2008 :
            1978 - 1982 > $800 to $1 200 ( the paul )
            1980 - 1986 > $800 to $950 ( firebrand )
            1996 - 1998 > $550 to $700 ( the paul II )

Found this info at a vintage Gibson website.
            "POOP"

Comment

i talked to the guy and he said it does have an 8 digit serial and that one digit doesnt show up in the pic(i'm guessing where i saw a space)

seegermany- i saw that too and thats what i was basing my trade with.

straycat- i was curious about the walnut. so it sound like crap eh?

Comment

I had a Schecter one piece walnut Tele that was a stinking ship anchor. It was loaded with two vintage Fender Tele humbuckers. Tone was thick and warm. It didn't stay with me long because I loved my shoulder more!
                "POOP"

Comment

Those things were $299 new. I bought "The SG" back when they first came out. $750 is way too much in my opinion.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    Those things were $299 new. I bought "The SG" back when they first came out. $750 is way too much in my opinion.
                    really? i thought they started at $399. i remember seeing the ad somewhere. you got the 1979 "the paul" when it was new in '79? sorry had to ask since your name has 87 at the end, wasnt sure if that was your birthyear or not.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                      really? i thought they started at $399. i remember seeing the ad somewhere. you got the 1979 "the paul" when it was new in '79? sorry had to ask since your name has 87 at the end, wasnt sure if that was your birthyear or not.
                      I distinctly remember paying $318 out the door (no case) and that was with 6% sales tax. That was all my paper route money. I was born in '64 and bought mine when they first came out. I wanted an SG like Blair Thornton. I thought the SG was the coolest thing back then. I still like them and have owned many over the years.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

cool. sorry hope it didnt sound like i was tryin to undermind you. i would have no idea cause i was born in 76 and wasnt playin guitar yet.LOL. was the sg also walnut? if so did you like it. i mean 300 bucks in 79 has gotta be at least 700 by todays standards, right? i'm not tryin to argue or nothin. i was goin by the vintage value as seegermany posted. i appreciate your input.

Comment

"Blair Thornton"

HAHAHAHAHAHA, BTO! I traced his outline off of the Not Fragile album onto one of my school notebooks! Yessir, pretty dorky!
                          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            Vintage Value For 2008 :
                            1978 - 1982 > $800 to $1 200 ( the paul )
                            1980 - 1986 > $800 to $950 ( firebrand )
                            1996 - 1998 > $550 to $700 ( the paul II )

Found this info at a vintage Gibson website.
                            Hah, I had a "The Paul II" a few years ago. I think I got like $475 for it on ebay. My friends band back in the 80's guitar player had a "The Paul". It was a big deal because it was a real Gibson. Everyone else had Univox and carlo Robelli Copies. His parents were "rich".

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                              i mean 300 bucks in 79 has gotta be at least 700 by todays standards, right? i'm not tryin to argue or nothin. i was goin by the vintage value as seegermany posted. i appreciate your input.
                              I am not trying to convince you one way or another. You have to be happy with what you get. I am merely giving my opinion here and maybe some advice. I would think that for $750 you can get a used SG Standard with some bumps and bruises or you can definitely get a nice used Explorer or V. I would rather even get a used LP Studio for my $750.

And one thing I would never ever do is trade a 90's neck thru RR Pro for a "the Paul".

If you are happy with the trade, go for it.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X