No announcement yet.

New Custom Strat - Parts by Warmoth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about the top route, guys, but that is the way it came, already finished. That said, I personally think there is enough of the grain showing around the pickguard to still be sharp.

I never really thought about a clear pickguard. True, it would show off more of the grain. However, it would also show the wiring. I personally think that would ultimately detract from the guitar. JMHO.

I'll post some more pics as the construction gets under way.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
      I never really thought about a clear pickguard. True, it would show off more of the grain. However, it would also show the wiring. I personally think that would ultimately detract from the guitar. JMHO.
      Actually, I was thinking that using only part of a black pickguard nearest the bridge would be neat, a la EVH's frankenstein.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        It's a note from Warmoth, as far as I can see from here... kinda tough to make out, but I swear is says something like: "Caution, covering up any of this cool finish with a black pickguard is subject to mattress police-style investigation, as well as fines, penalties, and eyelid removal"

So... looks like a clear pickguard is kinda mandatory.

Unless one wants to be a lawbreaker.

LOL, actually it is just a warning note. The body has a contoured heel so the neck screws have different lengths. The note is a reminder of that so that when assembling it one doesn't put a screw through the fingerboard.
        The Guitars:
        Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
        The Amps:
        Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Did you have to drill the holes yourself for the pickguard? How is the quality of it. I'm really looking at a Warmoth now, but I'm not sure I want to drill the holes.

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/bodi...ge/PS2180A.jpg

That's the one I'm looking at. The finish has pulled me in...

EDIT: Btw, that is a fantastic quilt on yours. The more I look at the stain job, the better it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Did you have to drill the holes yourself for the pickguard? How is the quality of it. I'm really looking at a Warmoth now, but I'm not sure I want to drill the holes.

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/bodi...ge/PS2180A.jpg

That's the one I'm looking at. The finish has pulled me in...

EDIT: Btw, that is a fantastic quilt on yours. The more I look at the stain job, the better it gets.
            That's a pretty cool body. Yes, you have to drill the pickguard holes yourself. Even more scary are the strap button holes, particularly in the upper horn. Check out this site, lots of cool stuff regarding Warmoth: www.unofficalwarmoth.com
            The quality is pretty good. I won't get the neck for a while yet, but from what I've read on the unofficial warmoth site, people are very happy about the quality. Here's a link to a thread I posted on the Warmoth site regarding a couple of other plans I have for the future: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3320.0

Yesterday I did the drilling, wiring, etc. See my post below.

Good luck with yours if you decide to go ahead!
            Last edited by DocNrock; 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM.
            The Guitars:
            The Amps:

Comment

So here is how I spent my Saturday.
              First, I had to black out the trem pocket and put a little piece of foam in there to protect the wood:

Then, there was the wiring, which I may end up redoing with 250K/0.047uf electronics. I also have a copper shield plate on order which I'll have to install later. Shown with RS guitarworks pots and cap:

The front view:

Then came the part that gave me the "willies" It was time to drill on that gorgeous body. OK, I'm glad I read some tips about masking tape where drilling. That worked well and the finish didn't crack. The pickguard and jackplate screw holes were the first. Whew, that went OK. Then it was time for the strap buttons. First, the one at the base of the body. OK, that wasn't so bad. The one in the upper horn scared the bejeesus out of me, though. I kept imagining that I was going to go through the body. Slow and steady...OK, good. Done for now.

Too bad the neck is still a couple of months out!
              Last edited by DocNrock; 05-11-2008, 01:27 PM.
              The Guitars:
              The Amps:

Comment

I feel your pain about the neck. That is a sweet looking guitar man! good job!
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  I feel your pain about the neck. That is a sweet looking guitar man! good job!
                  Thanks, man!
                  The Guitars:
                  The Amps:

Comment

hot damn thats amazing!

I see a bengal burst on thier site damnit I think I'm gunna get one!

it looks so awesome!

good job man! I say keep the pickguard black! looks killer!

C

Comment

With that color it looks like the belly of a pirahna or a an undercover crime scene hehe.
                      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                      custom made Les Paul
                      VOX Tonelab LE
                      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                      ADA MP1
                      BBE 422A
                      Lexicon MPX-G2
                      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                      Support Your Local 81

Comment

man that is sweet.
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

That colour is fantastic. The combo of gold and black with it is beautiful.
                          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect View Post
                            hot damn thats amazing!

I see a bengal burst on thier site damnit I think I'm gunna get one!

it looks so awesome!

good job man! I say keep the pickguard black! looks killer!

C
                            Thanks to all. Glad you all think it's as hot as I do.

SpiralArchitect, check out Warmoth's forum, lots of great pics of completed and under construction projects: www.unofficialwarmoth.com

Here's a bengal burst LP: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3214.0

Is this the one you were talking about? http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_g...lRout_filter=1
                            Last edited by DocNrock; 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM.
                            The Guitars:
                            The Amps:

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                              I'd think about a clear pickguard.
                              Make all the routes black (with shielding paint?)
                              Show off that grain baby!!!!
                              +1000 on that !!

Comment

i think it looks great - much better with the blackened trem route!

Comment

Working...
                                X