New Custom Strat - Parts by Warmoth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Custom Strat - Parts by Warmoth

I've never really liked Fender Strats as a whole, but they've got some good features. I don't have a Strat in my collection, so a Warmoth Custom was my answer.

The pieces/parts finally arrived! Below, you'll see a picture of the body itself. Wild maple top on an alder strat body; the finish is black cherry burst. I was originally just going to get a black body, but I saw this in the showcase and I just had to have it. I personally thought this finish on this grain looked badass!

To me, the cherry blending to the wood just screamed gold hardware, a touch of class, if you will, imparting "sleeper" status. But I wanted tonality ranging from metal to blues, so I went with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, Vintage Rails, and Cool Rails (bridge to neck). I chose these again for "sleeper status," as there is no big humbucker in the bridge. The trem is an original Floyd. Not shown are the screws for the pickguard; they're gold too. The output jack is a Planet Waves shielded jack. The switch is a 5 way Switchcraft and the pots are RS guitarworks, as is the tone cap. I plan to initially stay simple with the wiring, so I'm going to wire it with the "Fralin blender" modification.

The neck I've ordered for it is a maple angled strat style with abalone dots and gold frets. Unforunately, the neck is still a couple of months out.

More pics to follow as the assembly proceeds.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Doc,
    That wood/finish is totally badass.
    Never seen anything like it B 4
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Holy Smokes,what Killer grain you have there.Can't wait to see the gold frets w/that. I love Blk Cherry and Gold Hdwr too.
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

thats a really unique and quite stunning finish..its a shame they just left the recess natural tho..i think it should be black... or stained like the other holes

Comment

I'd think about a clear pickguard.
          Make all the routes black (with shielding paint?)
          Show off that grain baby!!!!
          --floydkramer

Comment

That's going to be a great-looking ax when you get it finished, especially with a maple neck.

What sort of headstock will the neck have? I saw your comment about it being an "angled strat style" neck but I didn't know what that meant.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
              thats a really unique and quite stunning finish..its a shame they just left the recess natural tho..i think it should be black... or stained like the other holes
              That route was probably done after the fact and I agree black it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                That route was probably done after the fact and I agree black it out.
                Bingo!
                The Guitars:
                Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                The Amps:
                Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                  That's going to be a great-looking ax when you get it finished, especially with a maple neck.

What sort of headstock will the neck have? I saw your comment about it being an "angled strat style" neck but I didn't know what that meant.
                  The headstock is the standard strat shape, but angles backwards from the nut at 13 degrees.
                  The Guitars:
                  The Amps:

Comment

Looks super cool! Can't wait to see the final product.
                    BTW, what's that white note in the neck pocket? It looks like something Warmoth placed in there.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It's a note from Warmoth, as far as I can see from here... kinda tough to make out, but I swear is says something like: "Caution, covering up any of this cool finish with a black pickguard is subject to mattress police-style investigation, as well as fines, penalties, and eyelid removal"

So... looks like a clear pickguard is kinda mandatory.

Unless one wants to be a lawbreaker.

--floydkramer

Comment

Very, very nice!
                        "POOP"

Comment

I have to agree with Spike. I'd put a clear pickguard on that one. Too much of that sweet grain is covered with the black one.

Love that body.
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Yeah, the center section is too cool to cover up
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

It looks killer. I don't think I could do a top rout on such a nice piece of wood. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X