No announcement yet.

My home built guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Than's a pretty damn fine job man, neck and all, What tools did you use/have available? Did you make up your own jigs and stuff?

Comment

Wow! That's just simply amazing. Great job.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        Than's a pretty damn fine job man, neck and all, What tools did you use/have available? Did you make up your own jigs and stuff?

I used mostly a benchtop bandsaw, a router table and a drill press. I painstakingly made jigs and templates for everything and did all the final cuts with a template cutting bit on the router table. I bought the fingerboard blank preslotted from Luthier's Mercantile.

After laminating the body, neck and top, I had to have them planed to thickness at a local saw mill. Other than that I did everything with simple tools at home.

It's not actually a neck thru, the body is just laminated with three thin strips down the center. (Couldn't find a large enough piece of mahogony)The neck is set deeply, the tenon goes all the way past the bridge. I copied that design from some builders I'd been researching online.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Comment

I'm building one too at the moment, it's no where near as complete as yours, but it's getting there slowly.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...erous_dave321/

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
            I'm building one too at the moment, it's no where near as complete as yours, but it's getting there slowly.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...erous_dave321/

Cool, so what sort of body is that thing getting?

Comment

metalhead28 - that's a very cool-looking project! Congrats on it and please be sure to post pictures as soon as she's complete.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Metalhead28 - beautiful work! I began dabbling with building 10 years ago when I wanted a Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V. The only place I knew of making them was Ed Roman - he wanted $3600.00 (ten years ago!!!). So I leanred on my own. I now do about 10 customs a year.http://www.dobermanguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                  Metalhead28 - beautiful work! I began dabbling with building 10 years ago when I wanted a Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V. The only place I knew of making them was Ed Roman - he wanted $3600.00 (ten years ago!!!). So I leanred on my own. I now do about 10 customs a year.http://www.dobermanguitars.com
                  Cool. Those are some pretty wild looking V's!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhead28 View Post
                    Cool, so what sort of body is that thing getting?

It will be a King V shape, wings are getting glued on next.

Comment

Well, I decided to invest in some more tools so that I could do the fretwork / nut myself. I'm glad I did, it's been pretty enjoyable.

Got it strung up for the first time last night, it's not set up yet, but enough to play it a bit. This thing really sings. Notes ring out like a bell, I'm really excited about the tone I should get out of it when it's wired!

Comment

Looks great. I would like to see you playing this little monster.

Comment

Originally posted by destructin_od View Post
                          Looks great. I would like to see you playing this little monster.

I'll play your little monster

Comment

Originally posted by metalhead28 View Post
                            I guess it does look a little Deanish, doesn't it? I wasn't really going for that, I was actually thinking somewhere between a PRS and a David Mcnaught guitar. I copied the construction somewhat from a Mcnaught.

Thanks for the compliments!
                            Wow!! If a Dean looked that good I would be all over it!!

Comment

I guess you need to change your name now to..."PaulReedSmithMetalhead28" !!!!! Great job! As nice
                              as a custom Hamer imo! Your a Luthier!

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the response.

Got a decent preliminary set up going on and finished the electronics last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X