Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Guitar Foums?

Edit: Meant to say forums...sorry-lol!

Does anyone know of any Yamaha guitar forums? I just bought a SE1212A neckthrough and would like to find some info on it. Pretty slim pickens when it comes to any info on these.

Thanks-

pics soon-
    Last edited by Budman68; 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM.
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Hey Dave, there used to be one called Yamahedz dotcom , but it seems to be down now. I've had quite a few SE and RGX's over the years, so I may be able to help you out. I have some sales literature that I can copy for you that has tech info and stuff. I also have a decent amount of parts if you need anything. They don't make replacement parts for these anymore, as I'm sure you've guessed. My computer at home is at the shop, so it'll be a few days before I can send you the info, though. You can PM me with your email address and I'll hook you up as soon as I can.

Chris
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Thanks so much, Chris, PM sent to you sir-
      Dave ->

Comment

Replacement parts, eh? Got any black replacement saddles for a Rockin' Magic II trem? I have a RGX 1220S that I bought cheap because it was missing a saddle. I have a Schaller Floyd on it now but the recess route doesn't let it pull back all the way. I have a 1221S as well and the trem on it is complete and works quite well. Great guitars!

Dave, congrats on your score! They really are sweet guitars and go well with the J/Cs in your collection IMO.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks Rich- it really is a fantastic playing guitar. I actually tried one of these out when I was younger but couldn't afford it when it was new so I got a bolt on, the SE350. Great guitar as well and built like a tank. Here's a shot of the SE1212A:

Dave ->

Comment

There is one very similiar in a pawn shop here in town. Same color. Different inlays, doesn't have the fancy inlay on the 12th fret. I don't think the neck is bound but I can't remember. But it has 3 singles instead of 2 and a hum. Neat guitar and those singles are hotter than hell. Priced a bit high but it looks pretty mint. Same bridge too, which is freakin' huge. No low profile there...

Nice guitar!
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
              Same bridge too, which is freakin' huge. No low profile there...

Nice guitar!
              lol! agreed, but not as large as a wonderbar but quite honestly, this bridge is so stable and sounds great and as an added bonus, it's so smooth and your hand is so comfortable when resting on it as well.

Thanks!
              Dave ->

Comment

I've been kicking the idea of getting it. It's been there a while and I'm sure they would come down. Are these Japanese made?

Comment

Well, some were Japanese made, others were Taiwan. You'll have to look at the back of the headstock just below the serial number to see origin. If its neck thru, you're golden. I've had over 20 of these guitars over the years and never found a bad one.

The bridge is a little big, but its not cumbersome at all. The RM Pro is probably the most comfortable bridge I've ever played. They used them from late '87 to early '89. Before and after, they used a more Floydy bridge. The ones before '88 were blocky and kinda goofy feeling, while the '89 and later bridges were pretty much just like a real Floyd, but you didn't have to cut the balls off your strings.

Hey lerxstcat , what string is it ? There are three string heights for these bridges. I'll see what I have and let you know over the weekend.

And Dave, no sweat !

Chris

Comment

Hawk,
                    Thanks for the info Now that you say Taiwan, I remember it having that stamped into the back of the headstock. I found it strange, I have not run across many guitars made in Taiwan. I assume from this post they are quality...

Comment

Yeah man, they kick ass. I have an RGX that I'll be buried with named Piggy. She's a late '87 and kinda beat up, but I love her like no other.

Just in case the country stamp is unseeable, you can also tell by the serial number. Made in Japan will start with a 5. Taiwans will start with a letter denoting year of manufacture. N is 1987 , O is 1988 , P is 1989 .......

Comment

very cool, Dave. I love that colour. Don't believe I've seen one of those before, but I'm really digging the body shape.

There's a neckthru RGX (1213S?) hanging in a local pawn shop. IIRC, made in Korea, according to the stamp on the neck. It's a solid guitar - bound neck & h/s, S-S-S, some odd sort of locking trem, that sleeker superstrat body they were using in the late 80s. Pretty cool.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

That'd be a 1203 model. S = passive pickups , A = Actives. There were 3 different models in the SE and RGX lines each. the 1203's had 3 single coils, 1212's had a HSS setup and the 1220 had two hums. The SE's were normal strat shaped with a rounded neck profile while the RGX's had a sleek contoured body with a flatter neck profile.

I also just noticed Dave's guitar still has the factory locking strap buttons. Thats really a sharp guitar, man, and its in fantastic shape for a 20 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
                            Well, some were Japanese made, others were Taiwan. You'll have to look at the back of the headstock just below the serial number to see origin. If its neck thru, you're golden. I've had over 20 of these guitars over the years and never found a bad one.

The bridge is a little big, but its not cumbersome at all. The RM Pro is probably the most comfortable bridge I've ever played. They used them from late '87 to early '89. Before and after, they used a more Floydy bridge. The ones before '88 were blocky and kinda goofy feeling, while the '89 and later bridges were pretty much just like a real Floyd, but you didn't have to cut the balls off your strings.

Hey lerxstcat , what string is it ? There are three string heights for these bridges. I'll see what I have and let you know over the weekend.

And Dave, no sweat !

Chris
                            It's the one for the high E string pitchwise. It's the version where each saddle individually has its own fine tuner, not the ones where the fint-tuners are all mounted in the bridge frame. Does that make sense? It's a Taiwan model but is superbly crafted IMO, just beautiful!

I had a 603 once that had the wing inlay at the 12th fret, and it had the bridge that conceals the pivots - or whatever moving parts that bridge used. I don't know if a Floyd would retrofit onto one of those because the area where the pivots normally go is routed deeper on that version. The bridge was complete and worked great on that one so I never checked to see.

I have not played a Japan model, only the Taiwan ones, but the craftsmanship on those is so high it's hard to believe that the Japan models could be that much better. It'd be a pleasant surprise to find that out if it is so, though.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                              Thanks Rich- it really is a fantastic playing guitar. I actually tried one of these out when I was younger but couldn't afford it when it was new so I got a bolt on, the SE350. Great guitar as well and built like a tank. Here's a shot of the SE1212A:

DAYUM, that is sweet!! Same color as my RGXs as well, my favorite color. Mine are the "S" passive series but I like the stock pickups well enough. I'm sure an upgrade would sound even better but I like what I hear already! Yamahas are the real sleepers of 80s shred guitars, great values and sweet guitars!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X