Dean '79's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
    Little question - were the inlays on the white gold V pearl or -loid? I'm sure they say Pearl Block on the Dean website, but in most of the pics I've seen they look suspiciously like pearloid...
    I think the blocks in my '79's are pearloid.

Comment

The inlays in the white gold V were very nice lots of pop so I would think pearl.I know where a blue burst V is right now 2006 model I think(Korean)I'll go check this weekend.The have a black and white Schenker too.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just got a call from my "guitar guy" - my '79 Blueburst Dean Z (Explorer) has arrived!! Good times! Once this is paid off, I'll have the V left and then my Blueburst collection will be complete!

Comment

I own mainly Deans

The 79's (Korean) are topnotch quality guitars

If you want better, take a look at this pair:

These are the Czech European Custom Selects in solid Korina (African Limba) which are very close in build quality as the USA made Deans sans pickups and have a C profile neck versus the V profile. The natural one weighs in at about 9lbs and the amber is just over 7lbs. These are all handmade so the necks can have a slight difference in feel

A few more of my herd:

The first (ML FBD Tribute), second (DOA V ltd to 50) and fourth (Deep Purple Z ltd to 24) are based on the '79 series line

For the money, you get a killer guitar and plenty of stage presence. Balance is perfect for me on all models

Hope the images are welcome, I probably should have checked the rules first so Mods, if I am in err, feel free to delete this post
          2001 Les Paul Standard
          2010 Explorer '76 RI
          1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Images ALWAYS welcome - except I can't see them at work...

Just a side note - the "Z" (Explorer) I got is the best balanced and sounding of the three Deans I have. I'm still looking at getting the 79 Bluburst V as well though. I'll probably wait until after Christmas though. These are GREAt guitars for the money. The pickups are passable, but if I keep all of them around, they will all be getting better bridge p'ups.

I may pick up a Chinese CFH/DFH at some point as well. We'll see.

Comment

they're killer guitars and built well, but the neck profile is a little deep for my taste....kinda similar to a gibby.....if you can get a V-neck dean though they're a little more comfy imo
              ----------
              Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Yeah - the DFH/CFH has the V-neck, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that profile yet. You're right though - the others are very Gibson-esque.

Comment

I remember playing a 79 ML a while back and was really surprised. I had never played a V neck before and it was pretty comfortable, but the frets weren't as big as I am used to playing. It was surprisingly lightweight too. I had heard that the guitars were heavy since they were so big but it was lighter than a les paul. Great tone too, surprising to me with the stock pickups.
                  I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                    I remember playing a 79 ML a while back and was really surprised. I had never played a V neck before and it was pretty comfortable, but the frets weren't as big as I am used to playing. It was surprisingly lightweight too. I had heard that the guitars were heavy since they were so big but it was lighter than a les paul. Great tone too, surprising to me with the stock pickups.

The '79s don't have V-necks...

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                      The '79s don't have V-necks...
                      None of mine do, but I've heard of an odd one escaping the factory before. I think most of the USA ML's have V neck profiles, right? Mine are all Korean.

Comment

Working...
                      X