Dean '79's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean '79's...

I'm thinking about these guitars pretty heavily. I'm thinking hardtail ML or V or BOTH!!

Anyone have much experience with these? General impressions? I tried out a couple 30th anniversary models at GC this weekend, and was fairly impressed, except I wasn't wild about how they looked. I didn't get to put a strap on them either - how's the balance on these?

Discuss...

By "looked" I mean the finishes - I'm not big on trans-black. Had to clarify.

Comment

Don't know about the new ones but a pawn shop here in town has a Nancy Wilson Dean model. Looks like an Explorer but alot smaller. It's pink burst. Plays pretty good. But that color. Wow. Screams 80's. I do like the clear speed knobs it has on it. Quite the chick guitar...

I have not played the newer ones though. They look decent...
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I've got a 79 V that I've had in the classifieds. It's really a very nice guitar, they are made very well and are comfortable to play. I say if you're interested then go for it. They are well worth the money. The only reason I've been looking to move mine is because I want a more shred oriented guitar with a bit thinner neck.

Comment

I had a Trans Brazilliaburst ML... it was awesome, felt great, balanced well, was well made... even the stock pickups were pretty decent. In the end I sold it though, cos an ML makes me think Dime, and a Dime guitar without a floyd didn't really work for me.

I eventually bought an import Dean From Hell, and that was pretty cool too Although ultimately too iconic for my taste, so that got sold

Comment

Originally posted by Creepy View Post
            I've got a 79 V that I've had in the classifieds. It's really a very nice guitar, they are made very well and are comfortable to play. I say if you're interested then go for it. They are well worth the money. The only reason I've been looking to move mine is because I want a more shred oriented guitar with a bit thinner neck.
            Yeah, I've been eyeing it up, but I just can't commit to a black guitar unfortunatley - looks nice though...

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
              I had a Trans Brazilliaburst ML... it was awesome, felt great, balanced well, was well made... even the stock pickups were pretty decent. In the end I sold it though, cos an ML makes me think Dime, and a Dime guitar without a floyd didn't really work for me.

I eventually bought an import Dean From Hell, and that was pretty cool too Although ultimately too iconic for my taste, so that got sold
              I played one tonight at GC, but the neck - the "V" profile" - I dunno... That and it's made in China - ouch!!! If it were MIK, I might think about it. I played another Dime ML that was about $400 cheaper, and better in EVERY wat with exception of the pickups, which are far less than $400 to change out... Kinda disappointing overall. That and it was "tuned" TOTAL HORSE SHIT!! Wow, GC - $1000 guitar that was tuned to NO SCALE!!!! You lost a SALE!!!! So did Dean unfortunately...

I'm still quite intrigued with the '79 though...

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'd pay the $1000 new price for it, but I got mine for about $650 with an EMG81/85 set installed so I thought why not?

Once you get used to the V neck, it's cool! I have it on the Washburn Dime V Pro I got, and that's been my most played guitar recently.

It might have been the setup or whatever on the one you played, but on the one I had, I was extremely impressed by the fit and finish... In fact lately I've been GAS-ing for a Razorback V

Comment

if you play your cards right you can get a USA TCml on ebay for about 1400$
                  which is a godamn sTEAL, the V shape is perfect for me, I prefer it, and the ML balances like no other guitar on earth!

It's the perfect balance for me, however I do want a soloist hahaha

C

Comment

I have played a couple of ML's not many. The guitars are nice but not as nice of the Deans of old. I may get in some hot water on this but the 79s I would but it the range near an Epiphone. It is definitely a cool guitar.
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      I have played a couple of ML's not many. The guitars are nice but not as nice of the Deans of old. I may get in some hot water on this but the 79s I would but it the range near an Epiphone. It is definitely a cool guitar.
                      I'd agree to a point - I think the fretwork is better on the Deans. (There's no comparison on the Chinese vs. Korean -- the Koreans were WAYYYY better!!). They seemed more polished. The binding looks nicer too - "more natural" if you will. The hardware seems about the same. They're both using Grovers for the most part, with in-house p'ups and bridges. I like the zebra p'ups that Dean uses over the metal covered ones that Epi uses though. If I get a Caddy, that will be the first thing to change. Probably need bridge p'ups all around, but time will tell.

Hope I can wrangle some deals so I can pick up a couple...

Comment

I have an older ML select, and one of the DOA V's from a few years back that is based on a '79. Both are great players, but neither has a V neck profile. Maybe just the USA and Dime models? Anyway, balance on the V's is ok, but they have fairly thin, light bodies, so they can be a bit neck heavy, but it doesn't bother me at all. Yea, I'd say the Korean ones are better, but comparable to the Epiphone range, but the USA models are supposed to kick ass. They were making a stripped down USA series (flame series, I believe) that were similar to the Gison faded series. Basically a cheaper finish, but top notch electronics and materials. I think they go for under $1000.

Hope some of that helped!
                        Pat

Comment

Here's my 81 E'lite Caddy...
                          I bought it new back in the day and will tell you it kicks ass!
                          The SDs are killer and the v neck is swwweet!
                          It's here to stay

Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Nice guitar xbolt! Thanks for all the replies so far, guys! Scott (scottd23) and I are finishing up a trade deal for a Blueburst Caddy, and then I havve a couple more guitars to trade/sell to get an ML and probably a V. We'll see how far my funding takes me...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              I'd agree to a point - I think the fretwork is better on the Deans. (There's no comparison on the Chinese vs. Korean -- the Koreans were WAYYYY better!!). They seemed more polished. The binding looks nicer too - "more natural" if you will. The hardware seems about the same. They're both using Grovers for the most part, with in-house p'ups and bridges. I like the zebra p'ups that Dean uses over the metal covered ones that Epi uses though. If I get a Caddy, that will be the first thing to change. Probably need bridge p'ups all around, but time will tell.

Hope I can wrangle some deals so I can pick up a couple...
                              It looks like you have done your homework which I figured you had. You have been around these parts longer than me. The Epi's I played I hated the binding and I don't remember that on the Dean. I also like the Zebra pups. I do remember how big the body was and how thin it was. It seamed thinner than a Explorer to me. But I could be wrong. I have been before.
                              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                              X