Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Les Paul hater gets his (my story inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
    Tonewise they get great heavy tone. But the thing about mahogany guitars is that they don't stick out in the mix compared to an Alder, Ash or Poplar, etc...
    Especially when soloing - they get lost many times. Y & T uses Les Pauls and I saw them live this summer. When it comes to lead work I can get much better tones out of super strat guitars with maple necks.
    I use to think Jimmy Page's lead work always sounded thin when he used the Les Pauls.
    Yup, and that's the reason why I prefer the Epiphones over the Gibsons. They have alder bodies resulting in a much more versatile tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
      Yeah Tim, I deserved that spanking I suppose. I play in a band with CliffClaven (Dave) so I wasn't really being serious, I just like giving him shit because he's such a Les Paul fanboy.

Damn, you Les Paul lovers sure are a sensitive bunch....considering what big strong men I'm sure you must be in order to play those monsters.
      actually, my les pauls aren't bad. you want heavy, come play my '78 Tele - it's a boat anchor.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

my Les Paul is heavy and I like it! haha

Honestly it is the aura around the guitar. For an old guy like me I grew up watching guitar gods making rock history with LP's. Jimmy Page, Joe Perry/Brad Whitford, Ace Frehley, (early) Alex Lifeson, Billy Gibbons, Randy Rhoads and the list goes on and on. I think every 13 year old kid in 1978 wishes he had a Les Paul !! So it took me until 1993 to get one and I will never part with it. Of course I like the way it plays and sounds too

Btw....I am enjoying this thread. Have you ever been on the Gibson forums?? Now that is a cult !

Comment

I don't get the "neck is too fat and fret access is bad" thing, you want good playabilty, then learn to play. If you really want then you can get used to every type of neck. Tone is the most important thing after all. You go to a studio and have to play massive rhythm tracks. NO OTHER guitar sounds like a good LP. You want to sacrifice a good fat tone because it's uncomfortable to play with LP? Or you want the thickest lead tone ever, LP delivers it, some superstrat with wizard neck does not.
          I've heard plenty of guitars that give LP's a run for their money, including a few CS Jackson. Granted most of these were custom models but pricewise a LP isn't gonna be alot cheaper. And for 2 grand+ you better believe people care how comfortable the guitar is to play on. People got every right to complain about the neck shape and fret access without the insinuations, wether its a LP or a Charvel or some boutique guitar. The "learn to play" argument is the biggest load of horseshit I've ever heard.

Comment

load of horseshit? I don't know any session player who whines like a little bitch because the neck is too fat.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              load of horseshit? I don't know any session player who whines like a little bitch because the neck is too fat.
              Maybe because that session player likes fat necks? Not everyone does. I don't know anyone that will spend alot of money on a guitar that they don't like the neck profile on.

Comment

What is a pile of sand and the neck of a Kirk Hammet signature ESP racking out?...

Not enough sand
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                X