Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Les Paul hater gets his (my story inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul hater gets his (my story inside)

Last Monday I'm in GC looking for a new amp. Well I'm trying them out. I tell the guy that my guitars at home have EMGs in them. So he grabs me an Epi Zakk Wylde bullseye LP with EMG HZs.

Now to set the record straight. I don't like Les Pauls. Don't like the look. Don't like the weight. Don't like the feel in my hands or up against my body. Never did.

So anyway I plug in and start playing. Sounds awesome. I am floored. The guy then finds me a used ESP Kirk Hammett model (the top of the line KH) with EMGs. So I plug it in.

Yikes!

A great deal of the "meat" of the tone is gone. kaput. Dried up. Zilch. So I grab the LP again and plug in. There's the beef!

So I want to formally apologize here today to all the LP owners and lovers whom I have slighted and wronged over the years. Even though I still have no plans to own a LP, I now understand their significance and their appeal, at least from a tone standpoint.

Anybody wanna sing Kum Ba Yah with me around the campfire?

I think that the above post is a true indication of how much that ESP Kirk Hammett model SUCKS.

Comment

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I think that the above post is a true indication of how much that ESP Kirk Hammett model SUCKS.
        No. It just needs to be behind a huge WAH pedal.:ROTF:
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

The Kh's didn't impress me much, kind of a blah tone.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

<3 my LPC

Comment

I don't like LPs, never have. I certainly don't consider them the end-all in the tone dept. either.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've never really cared much for KH's tone (no matter what kind of guitar he's playing).

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                  I don't like LPs, never have. I certainly don't consider them the end-all in the tone dept. either.
                  i take back every nice thing i ever said about you.

:ROTF:
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Ew, the KH is terrible no matter what you compare it to!

Comment

Bottom Line...ya can't beat a Les Paul for tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                        Bottom Line...ya can't beat a Les Paul for tone.
                        Or it doesn't take much to beat a KH ESP :ROTF:

-a

Comment

And that ws only the Epi Zakk Wylde. Imagine what a Gibson Les Paul would do in comparison. But yeah the KH sucks donkeys in inapropriate places.
                          Gil
                          Not that there really is an appropriate place to suck a donkey. just clearifying cus i know how you guys are.
                          Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 11-24-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I´ve had similar experiences from time to time, but not as severe. A good LP has some seriously beefy tone, but not enough to make me buy one.

Comment

Uh, the Epi had passives, and the KH had actives, right?

There's the difference. A crappy import is a crappy import, but passive pickups always sound better :ROTF:
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X