No announcement yet.

Judas Priest Hamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think all of KK's guitars on the new DVD feature scalloped fingerboards.

I have followed Priest on and off since SFV, and was always a big Glen Tipton fan, but KK's playing on this last tour really impressed me.

Comment

KK started scalloping his necks over the last couple of years. They weren't scalloped on the Live In London DVD if I remember correctly.

Here's a link to some awesome Priest pics from when they played here last year. Some nice guitar shots.

http://www.mtscentre.com/press_relea...hp?press_id=88
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I noticed the scalloped V too.
        They get really good sound live. Sounds like Marshalls to me.

Comment

I have read somewhere that they are using a bunch of rocktron rack gear live because they are more durable on the road then the Marshalls they have used in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V
            I have read somewhere that they are using a bunch of rocktron rack gear live because they are more durable on the road then the Marshalls they have used in the past.
            The one thing I notice that is different with the new live Priest as compared to when I used to see them 3 times a year in the early 80's is the difference in volume level between KK and Glen. Back in the 80's they were very even on stage. Actually, KK's solo tone might have even been a little more aggressive and bottom heavy with alot of delay. It seems that the new Priest has Glen more out in front in the mix.
            The first time I saw them was around 1976. They were the opening act for Kiss. They were promoting their Sad Wings of Destiny album if I recall. I remember KK being dressed like a pimp with a big white wide brimmed had on. Halford came out on a Harley. It was awesome. We had never heard of them up until that point.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
              The first time I saw them was around 1976. They were the opening act for Kiss. They were promoting their Sad Wings of Destiny album if I recall. I remember KK being dressed like a pimp with a big white wide brimmed had on. Halford came out on a Harley. It was awesome. We had never heard of them up until that point.
              I think you may have mixed up some of the many Priest shows you've been to. Halford didn't use the Harley until 1978, when they adopted the leather n' studs look for the Killing Machine album. Man, I wish I'd seen Priest back in the really early days like you. First time I saw them was on the SFV tour in 1982. Then the Defenders tour in '84, Painkiller in '91 and last year. Seeing them back before they started the leather thing would have been so cool.
              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Hamer Phantom A5

This is my '83 model, just after the "Prototype". It has a "motherbucker"
                bridge pup. It looks like a triple, but actually it's a double and single
                together. The single is closer to the neck. Reported to have a Honduras
                mahogany body, weighs in at 9 lbs, excellent cross between LP and Strat sounds, selectable. I never have really figured out the "tone" toggle-it
                works on both pups...it gives a "woody" sound to the neck pup, and brightens
                considerably the bridge. Glued in neck. Repainted before I got it.
                Has anyone seen one of these in a natural or 'burst? Is there a good close up
                Of Glenn's?
                He could not have used these prior to '81...they didn't exist. I'm quite sure he used it on the "Defenders" album. It greatly contributed to the clear+distortion sound. I know...I get similar results running through EQ/saturated overdrive/mild EQ and a Fender Deluxe Reveb+Peavey Studio Chorus.
                If the wood is good on this, I'd seriously consider stripping it.

Comment

This thread has been dead for over a year

Comment

Yes, I noticed....
                    I didn't really want to start a new thread on the Phantom.
                    It fit right in though.

That's the danger of using the "search", and not paying attention
                    to the date.

Again...any clue what this thing looks like under the freak blue refin?

Comment

I saw the priest back in the 70's opening for Rush at the Long Beach Arena. Rob rode the Harley on stage at that show. It was a great show, I believe both bands were touring in support of live albums. All the Worlds A Stage and Unleashed in the East. It must have been almost 30 years ago. God I feel old now!

Comment

An old thread with info on Glenns and pics of one of KKs guitars:
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33394

Comment

Working...
                        X