No announcement yet.

ESP M-1, help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw it on sale in an old newspaper (april) and the hockey stick got me GAS venom flowing

Could possibly still be for sale. I wonder what an old ESP from that era is worth.

I'm going to bed now (it's 02:24 like NIGHT here) so when i wake up i expect you two to have sorted it all out
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Joe, interesting if you find that magazine. If it's an LTD it's a SHOWSTOPPER.
      Henrik

Comment

Well, EBay's been awfully strange about ESP's from that era...people have no idea what they're worth and miss out on kickass gear.

For example, i picked up a custom made M three weeks ago, totally custom, absolutely cool (but rough shape), for 520 bucks.

the last M-1 to hit the Bay went for around $400.

so anywhere from $400-650 is where i've been seeing them hit. from M-I and M-IIs, to those old school horizons.

keep us posted, i really really love those older ESPs (dodges flames)!

Comment

the original M1's had strat heads followed by the psuedo strathead ala lynch M1. that may have been a custom or just an m1 logo. funny thing the M1 custom looked nothing like the M1 or M1 deluxe. ESP is wierd they use the same names but change the guitars. eclipse- mirage- M2's

Comment

Okay, just found the 1995 20th Anniversary ESP catalog. I was wrong about the LTD... it's got a reverse banana headstock, but it's H/S configuration, and the model is an L-2, not an M-1 like I thought.
            The only other ESP in the catalog with the standard banana headstock is the H/S Lynch Sunburst Tiger, and the Lynch Kamikaze 1 has the reverse banana headstock. I'm not sure when the M-1 was actually discontinued.

The catalog also features the M-II Deluxe which is H/S (slanted single coil), with reverse pointy headstock, and the KH-2 which is basically the same except for two EMG 81s and the skull and crossbone inlays.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379
              ESP is wierd they use the same names but change the guitars. eclipse- mirage- M2's
              What did they change about the Mirage? The Mirage is also in my catalog... it's a Strat body, H/S/S, 22 frets, pseudo reverse Strat headstock.
              I know they Eclipse used to be a Tele shape and Scott Ian as well as Izzy Stradlin played them, and then ESP went and changed it to the Les Paul shape.

Comment

the mirage was at first the N/T soloist copy H/s/s almost M1 custom but no scoop in the horn & singles. mirage deluxe was bolton version, later the M2

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                    I wonder if the gold logo "say" anything about the guitar. Could it be from around 1985-1988? Same quality as the Mirage? Hmmm... i'm an ESP noob.
                    Is the logo entirely gold on that one Henrik? Almost looks like it in the pics.
                    I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to ESP as well, but I thought
                    I'd take the opportunity to post (hrrmm, hijack? ) pics of my Mirage Custom. As you see, my logo is more silver with gold edges... hmmm.

Anyway, if it isn't gone, pick it up!!!
                    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Anders, hijacking WITH pictures are much welcomed! Very nice metal axe you got there. Entirely gold logo you ask... i only have the pictures in this thread to work with, so i don't know. It could be the lighting - the logo's could be the same, silver front, gold shadow.

What trem is on that Deluxe? Some copy of a copy of copy of a Floyd or?
                      Henrik

Comment

btw, thank you guys for all the input, but i'm still confused.
                        Henrik

Comment

basic esp logo...silver with gold shadow...looks like a copy of an 84 baretta headstock (which really isnt a "copy" as esp made those guitars for kramer anyway)...the guitar you are looking at could be dated anywhere from late 84 to probably late 88...but esp is bad about changing their name designations ie: the eclipse used to be a tele shape...now its a les paul shape...same name...different guitar completely...what it boils down to is this tho...what you are looking at is more than likely a very nice guitar...however what it's worth in today's marketplace is iffy (as most people assume that an m1 is a one humbucker guitar) and shouldnt be a factor in if you buy it or not...you sghould ask yourself is it worth it to you what the asking price is?...if it is...buy it...if not...let someone else buy it...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                            Anders, hijacking WITH pictures are much welcomed! Very nice metal axe you got there. Entirely gold logo you ask... i only have the pictures in this thread to work with, so i don't know. It could be the lighting - the logo's could be the same, silver front, gold shadow.

What trem is on that Deluxe? Some copy of a copy of copy of a Floyd or?
                            Hehe, so I don't have to feel too bad then...

It's ESP's old Floyd version, kickass trem actually, works perfect!
                            Seems like the baseplate is made out of hardened steel.
                            However, it has a pretty odd way of holding the strings...
                            I'll see if I can shoot a good pic of it, so you can see for yourself!

Comment

Alrighty, went out in the sun and shot a pic right away.

It's quite big (244 KB), so I'll link it rather than posting the image in the thread.

http://web.telia.com/~u19223373/esptrem.jpg

You'll see what I meant, you screw the strings in... but not in the regular way!

Comment

Btw, sorry for the dusty trem... hehe

And notice the black coated strings... metal!!

Comment

Working...
                                X