No announcement yet.

Gibson LP Kahler question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a Kahler on a Les Paul will cut the resaale value in half! I'd look for one that already has a Kahler on it - believe me, it'll be pretty cheap compared to other Les Pauls. A kahler is definitely better than a Floyd for retaining LP tone, less wood out of the body and more contact with the wood.

If you have to have a LP trem, consider finding a Washburn Wonderbar that has the plate adaptor. You can bolt it onto the stop tailpiece and tunomatic bushings, and remove nit without a scratch if you don't like it. Of course locking tunres are a must of you don't want to mount a string clamp. I like the Wonderbar, different than a Floyd or a Kahler, but cool in its own right and stays in tune.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

LERXSTCAT is right!!! It will cost you on value unless it came that way all orig. like mine will keep it's value. The les paul is a costly player - keep it original!!! & go to a Jackson/Charvel w/kahler, 80's model 6 or soloist. If you want a great quality player w/kahler..........stroking my whammy while posting........ha ha........

Last edited by SGplayer; 04-05-2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Think long and hard before you put a Kahler on a Les Paul. I have a Les Paul that I had a Kahler installed on back around 1990. The tone didn't change much and it actually improved the playability. Looked ok too. Shortly after that I purchased my first Jackson with a Floyd. The Les Paul sat unplayed for years and I was kicking myself for modifying it. I finally decided to have the Kahler removed. This involves removing the Kahler route, retopping the guitar, and a complete refinish. Translation= Big $. It's been in the shop about 4 months and I have no idea when I will get it back or how it will look when I get it back. Anyway.........looking back, I would not think about putting a Kahler on a Les Paul again.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr
          Think long and hard before you put a Kahler on a Les Paul. I have a Les Paul that I had a Kahler installed on back around 1990. The tone didn't change much and it actually improved the playability. Looked ok too. Shortly after that I purchased my first Jackson with a Floyd. The Les Paul sat unplayed for years and I was kicking myself for modifying it. I finally decided to have the Kahler removed. This involves removing the Kahler route, retopping the guitar, and a complete refinish. Translation= Big $. It's been in the shop about 4 months and I have no idea when I will get it back or how it will look when I get it back. Anyway.........looking back, I would not think about putting a Kahler on a Les Paul again.
          If you're getting a complete retop than somebody is gouging you.
          I've seen some Flame top Hamers that have had the trem removed.
          Usually, a good tech can get a maple plug that will mostly match your top and then refinish the top to blend it.
          Last edited by Flatpicker; 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

WOW, I haven't checked this post in a while, Thanks for all the feedback...
            I looked into a stetsbar, and I've had guitars with Wonderbars and I kinda like them, I'm not a dive bomb guy really, just for a little bending so I may go that route if anything.
            The more i look into it, i don't think i wanna cut the LP at all, just in case I change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker
              If you're getting a complete retop than somebody is gouging you.
              I've seen some Flame top Hamers that have had the trem removed.
              Usually, a good tech can get a maple plug that will mostly match your top and then refinish the top to blend it.

Actually I'm not sure if it's gonna be a complete retop or just a cap. It hasn't gotten that far yet. I do want to save $, but I certainly don't want the repair to come back years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr
                Actually I'm not sure if it's gonna be a complete retop or just a cap. It hasn't gotten that far yet. I do want to save $, but I certainly don't want the repair to come back years from now.

dannyr. PM sent.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                X