Gibson LP Kahler question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson LP Kahler question...

I have 2 Gib LPs and I'm thinking of putting a Kahler Trem on one of them, but i'm a little gun shy to go ahead and do it because i'm not sure how it will affect the overall tone and feel...
    Has anyone here done anything like this and if so what's your opinion good or bad?

(As always, if this has been covered before in early posts, sorry about that)

I may be in the minority but I don't think Kahlers belong on Les Pauls. Even the ones that need no modifications.
    Its just wrong.
    It will ABSOLUTELY 100% affect the tone and feel of your LP.
    Especially the feel. 24.75 hardtails like a Les Paul REALLY feel slinky with a Kahler on them. I also think they kill the look of a Les Paul and they make them fairly uncomfortable to play.
    Also, you have that whole locking nut issue to deal with. You can use locking Sperzels and a graphite nut but it still won't stay in tune as good as a double locking trem.
    I wouldn't do it.

Comment

I agree. If you want a guitar with a trem, buy one with a trem. Buy an Agile AL2000, they are available with a Floyd.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I would never do that to a Les Paul. That's just me though.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

OK, I was leaning against anyway, but you guys (or girls) confirmed it for me, thanks

Comment

Hey I'm with Zeegler I didn't want to buy a LP & put a Kahler on it so I got an Agile I just finished putting my Kahler on it & I don't hear a tone differince but playability is different, I feel better playing it now than when it had the traditional bridge/stop tail bar. This is what I was going for & I put a Kahler lock behind the graphite nut also. I would do all this to an actual Les Paul though , kinda might ruin the value of the Gibson who knows.
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

Had a friend in Highschool that had a factory Kahler'd Les Paul. Seemed darn nice to me.
              It's your guitar, do whatever you feel will make you enjoy playing it more.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

the story I've seen in many comments on this subject over in the LP forum is that it doesn't turn out well for most people. It seems to really kill the LP tone. The factory Kahler'd ones have a better reputation.

Comment

Just for note wasn't sure if you were gonna use a Kahler or the Gibson stamped Kahler? I have the Gibson Stamped Kahler on my Agile.

Comment

You could go in search of one of those Floyd Les Paul thingies, but they're extremely rare and they aren't cheap.

Comment

I wouldn't hack up a Les Paul, here's a pic of my orig. Gibson 84 SG Std. that came from the factory with a Gibson/Kahler. I does take quite a route on the body though. I had a 79 SG std. and the tones were pretty equal, except the kahler one was a lil brighter sounding. But I found you have to use lighter strings to stay in tune like 9's to 42's as opposed to fixed bridged you can choose to use 10's & thicker or detuning. But then again you said you have two LP's what's better than having two great guitars with completely different playability, I enjoy my SG ever since new. I do recommend though the Gibson/Kahler 2200 model, you can intonate it much better. & you'll also need a kahler stringlock.

Last edited by SGplayer; 04-05-2006, 01:23 AM.

Comment

get a stetsbar...they fit round the stoptail bridge saddles and just replace the tailpiece with no rouring whatsoever..get some locking tunbers and you'd be away i reckon

Comment

SGplayer thats the exact model I put on my Agile, & it's great I have zero complaints about it.

Comment

I to prefer the Gibson model, seen the Agiles how do they play & sound??

Comment

I used to have a "the paul" that I had a kahler pro put on it. I didn't want to do it to my main one so I bought another used and put it on that one. For what it was it worked quite well, I had the nut installed as well. I use heavy strings to offset the short scale slinkyness. With the trem I used there was no going back and it does change the sound and feel. You can't block a kahler like a floyd so you always have some movement. You lose sustain, tone, and feel from the stock gibson. I liked it as a guitar, but wouldn't do it again. I sold that a long time ago and replaced it with a strat style with a blocked floyd and replaced that one with a fusion with a tremsetter.

Comment

Working...
                              X