Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest score

[ QUOTE ]
    depends on the wood toejam. Some necks they will not send out unless you pay the 30 bucks for the clear satin. Some necks from tropical woods are designed to withstand such problems. Koa for example. Rosewood also makes a good neck. Maccassar Ebony, Padouk. A few others. But maple and mahogany I think they require to be hardfinished.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, good point. And since his is a 3-piece maple neck which makes it stronger, it should be less prone to warpage.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      That is sweet, sell it to me when your done [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude get a pickup and a working toggle for your beat paul before you go buyin' cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh its in the works [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd lose the white pickup rings, but she looks great!
        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Don,
          Figured out how to get it in the house yet? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Lemme know if you need to do the old covert "tag team" shipping trick (Ship to my house, then meet at GC for the hand off)
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

I've got a 79 or 80 that is a twin to that.. same neck, though the guy I got it from repainted it (the neck)poorly. I was thinking about stripping it again. All I know - is when I bought it - the first note I strummed, you could feel the mojo in it.. weird.
            Even Sambencuda was shocked when he played it
            Good luck with it !

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'd lose the white pickup rings, but she looks great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those don't look quite right do they? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Maybe the cream toggle ring as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Don,
                Figured out how to get it in the house yet? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Lemme know if you need to do the old covert "tag team" shipping trick (Ship to my house, then meet at GC for the hand off)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I'm thinking of calling in sick to work the day it is supposed to arrive. This one is going to be tricky [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I must be stupid because I always seem to get caught in the end LOL!

Comment

Nice one. Looks like I'd do a total Refin in Nitro and put on some new Gold hardware (Tone Pros bridge) and she would look like new!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nice one. Looks like I'd do a total Refin in Nitro and put on some new Gold hardware (Tone Pros bridge) and she would look like new!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aahh, but that would take away the charm (and the mojo) LOL! I'm mainly worried about the neck, but I'm well stocked up on black nitro and clear (and sealer as well).

I have TonePros on my Classic Premium Plus - the reason for the exchange was a collapsed bridge. Believe me, that's the first thing I'm checking because I can see the tail is all the way down. I've looked at a 1979 Custom at GC, and the Nashville bridge was making a smiley face. The Nashville bridges were designed to be stronger than the ABR-1 - go figure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Don,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I'm thinking of calling in sick to work the day it is supposed to arrive. This one is going to be tricky [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I must be stupid because I always seem to get caught in the end LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

I took off yesterday so that I'd be there when Fedex arrived. Unfortunately so was the wife (DAMN!). I told her it was a case for a Kelly (I did buy one on ebay for $40 shipped, and showed her the auction) and she "bought it" without me having to open the box. But I've just delayed the inevitable - what happens when the Kelly case arrives in a few days? I'm fucked.

Oh well, this axe is a true Road Warrior. Almost 100% original, just a few plastic items that had been replaced (they fell off and died along the way).

Frets are near death, the paint on the back of the neck had been PLAYED off, not sanded, I am sure. Even the fretboard has digs in it from heavy playing.

The neck is a MONSTER of strength. Rock hard maple and straight as an arrow. It looks like the truss rod has never even been touched.

Tone: Well, I can see why DiMarzio Super Distortions were so popular back then LOL! These original 1970's pickups are way weaker than my other LP's. Even my R0 with Burstbucker 1&2 is a canon next to this axe. BUT, it totally capture Slash's tone. Sweet Child sounds beautiful with the neck humbucker on this axe, and the bridge has the right amount of grind. Definitely not a Heavy Metal axe, more of a blues - hard rock axe.

I have EMG's and a DD Mayhem set, but not for this axe. I'm keeping it original, and need to track down some plastic to finish the job.

The frets are the big let-down on this purchase. The axe is definitely playable, but compared to Super Jumbos on one of my Jacksons, there is a lot to be desired. If you check the auction no one was smart enough (including me) to ask the condition of the frets.

The best thing about this purchase is how little was changed on it. I was really worried it would be hacked up with a bunch of non-original parts. It might be heavily played, but doesn't that tell you it was a killer axe? What musician would play a piece of crap long and hard enough to wear out the frets and paint off the back of the neck?

Comment

Working...
                      X