Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caparison....

[ QUOTE ]
    anybody know what Model the guys from EverGrey use by chance?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe they use Horus models that are customized with the EG logo at the 12th fret and the push/push pickup selector/volume knob moved down further.

http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparis...son-horus.html
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Oh and the guys from Killswitch Engage (Adam D. and Joel) use the stock pups in theirs as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
      At least one of them has EMGs in one of their models, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        There was just recently a butchered TAT-HH on ebay recently (it still may be up there...not sure)
        They guy wanted way too much for it for what was changed on it. It had quite a bit of player rash on it as well.
        But they pop up on ebay for a decent price every once in a blue moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was lookin' at that one, too. In addition to the butchery, it looked to me like the finish on that one had been "user-modified." If it had been a bit more reasonably priced, I might have been willing to take a risk on it.

Comment

I saw that one - think that color was deep sea or blue sea... look like the regular sponge pattern they use (unless i missed something that you saw?)

Comment

Maybe I was wrong about that--what I noticed was that the purple 'sponge pattern' thing wasn't really present in the trem-spring cavity and on a couple of other 'hidden' areas, leaving me to believe that it had been applied later. But that could just reflect my ignorance. I do like that finish, regardless.

Comment

I emailed back and forth with a guy who works at Guitar Asylum, one of the US distributers for the guitars. He said that generally the preorders are selling out and they never actually have any in the store. Interesting to say the least. I'd definitely like to play one at some point.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                Oh and the guys from Killswitch Engage (Adam D. and Joel) use the stock pups in theirs as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]they use emg 85's in the bridge. not sure on the neck. probably another 85

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]they use emg 85's in the bridge. not sure on the neck. probably another 85

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yeah, the 85 in the bridge sounds familiar. I remember reading a question to the guys in Shadows Fall in GW if Jon really used the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, he said yes, and I remember him mentioning about the Killswitch guys using the 85 in the bridge, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Damn, I forget who it was, but someone else on the boards had one too. He said it was great, but it wasen't the end all and be all of guitars as people make em out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took some backtracking, but here is my post:
                    Old Caparison Thread

With over a year of playing the guitar under my belt, here is an update... The neck still feels great, thicker than my EBMM-JPM, thinner than my WR1, back of the neck is unfinished and smooth as can be. The guitar itself is light, probably the lightest of all of the guitars I have.

I changed the neck pickup to a Dimarzio Chopper because the stock single coil kind of sucked (thin and bright to my ears). The result was much more output and bass, decent for very dirty blues and heavier stuff, but now the clean tone for the guitar really sucks. I thought the increased output/bass would be a decent fit because the pickup is farther back compared to a 22 or 24 fret neck, but I can't say I'm super satisfied with the results. The bridge pickup is decent, but I'll probably eventually throw in a X2N or APC and see how it sounds.

Overall, my opinion is still the same. Its a nice guitar, but not the end all of all Japanese imports. I would say the reputation has been built up by the fact they are so hard to find and the acumen of their marketing department in choosing good endorsees (I don't think any of those guys have bought their Caparisons on their own and play them for free). For the coin these guitars are getting, there are a lot of high quality options available.

-Mike

PS - Try to see the sponge paint jobs in person before you buy, I saw some that were very unimpressive while some looke pretty cool.

Comment

i think that they are very overpriced for what they offer, but i can be wrong, never played one, and i'll never play one because here in italy...nobody knows about them.

Comment

The Angelus models also make me curious - 24 fret, 24.75" scale guitar with a mahogany body and neck, shaped much like a PRS. Maybe a trip to Guitar Asylum is in the works.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          Damn, I forget who it was, but someone else on the boards had one too. He said it was great, but it wasen't the end all and be all of guitars as people make em out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took some backtracking, but here is my post:
                          Old Caparison Thread

With over a year of playing the guitar under my belt, here is an update... The neck still feels great, thicker than my EBMM-JPM, thinner than my WR1, back of the neck is unfinished and smooth as can be. The guitar itself is light, probably the lightest of all of the guitars I have.

I changed the neck pickup to a Dimarzio Chopper because the stock single coil kind of sucked (thin and bright to my ears). The result was much more output and bass, decent for very dirty blues and heavier stuff, but now the clean tone for the guitar really sucks. I thought the increased output/bass would be a decent fit because the pickup is farther back compared to a 22 or 24 fret neck, but I can't say I'm super satisfied with the results. The bridge pickup is decent, but I'll probably eventually throw in a X2N or APC and see how it sounds.

Overall, my opinion is still the same. Its a nice guitar, but not the end all of all Japanese imports. I would say the reputation has been built up by the fact they are so hard to find and the acumen of their marketing department in choosing good endorsees (I don't think any of those guys have bought their Caparisons on their own and play them for free). For the coin these guitars are getting, there are a lot of high quality options available.

-Mike

PS - Try to see the sponge paint jobs in person before you buy, I saw some that were very unimpressive while some looke pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, where ya been? You seem to pop up once in a blue moon these days [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i think that they are very overpriced for what they offer, but i can be wrong, never played one, and i'll never play one because here in italy...nobody knows about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that WOULD be reason to play one...because nobody knows about them. You could make your mark with one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Caparison makes a good guitar...not Jackson quality but...good.
                            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yeah, the 85 in the bridge sounds familiar. I remember reading a question to the guys in Shadows Fall in GW if Jon really used the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, he said yes, and I remember him mentioning about the Killswitch guys using the 85 in the bridge, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I emailed Joel (from Killswitch) and he did in fact correct me. He uses the Zakk Wylde set in his, while Adam D uses a pair of 85's

Jon from SF uses the Zakk set as well...so yeah...what Joe said...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Dude, where ya been? You seem to pop up once in a blue moon these days [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Irfaan. Hope ya had a good New Year. I lurk around here a lot but don't post too much... I guess I mainly try to absorb as much as I can while I'm lurking around.

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

-Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X