Gibson Explorer dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Explorer dilemna

Yeah, the Xplorer Pros I don't think will be too much of a collector, since they're newer and have a slightly smaller body anyway, so just route the bridge for a humbucker and be happy! I think it's cool to have a full humbucker in the bridge with either a P-90 or minibucker in the neck anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you can do a trade of some sort and get the axe you want, go for it, but I think Toe is right here. The explorer pro just isn't a super collectible axe. Screw the Gibby purests on this one, route it out and put a nice full sized hum in there.

Chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Just get the p90 sized EMGs they make a 60, 81, and 85 that will fit that route.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I agree, if they fit, get the EMG P-90 sized 81-85-60. If not, rout it out. Jack.

Comment

I doubt they'll fit, my mini-hums look smaller than P90s.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

mini-hums with the gibson pickup rings fit a p-90 route.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I found out that there is a dual hum studio model, so routing may not be such a bad idea. I can also do one at a time - bridge first. I've seen the Pros go for abut $1200 - $1300. The studios probably go between $650 - $800.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  mini-hums with the gibson pickup rings fit a p-90 route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep but I think the question was whether P90s would fit in the mini-hum routes. Every time I think about modding a guitar I realize that it's cheaper to just sell it and buy what I'm wanting to make it into. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

You can sell it and look for a better Hamer USA Stnadard or Standard Mahogany, much nicer than the Gibson. Jack.

Comment

That's true Jack, but a USA Hamer Standard will cost more, even used for what I can sell the X-plorer for. A Gibson, on the other hand, would work out almost even. Anyway, I won't know until I try.

Comment

this entire thread and NO PICS?? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Sorry about that...

Comment

Hmm...the min-hums in those are unlike the Firebird mini-hums...they are more like the LP Deluxe minis with the pole pieces.

Try the Duncan SM3's...I've used those to beef up my Firebirds in the past, nice and chunky while still cutting through!

Comment

That would be awsome with just 1 humbucker in the bridge. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X