Gibson Explorer dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Explorer dilemna

I just got a Yellow Gibson X-plorer in a multi-guitar deal. I love the explorer shape and the guitar plays, looks and feels great, but the tone doesn't do anything for me. It has mini-hums, and while the neck tone is actually warm (kinda has a P-90 feel to it), the bridge is thin and bright. I was looking at Dimarzio and Duncan replacements, but I really like full sized humbuckers in the bridge.

S0... should I route the guitar and put a full hum in the bridge, or should I just sell it, because it isn't what I need/want tonally?

The guitar is in mint condition with original Gibson case and case candy. I want to love it, but....

Thanx - Pete

Re: Gibson Explorer dilemna

Try the Duncans. I have 'em in my SLATQM and the absolutely rip!
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Which model do you have? I think they have a 2 and a 3. I guess I would look for the hottest they have? Which model do you have?

Comment

Pete, you won't like any of the versions. The hottest mini-hum that Duncan makes is certainly hot but not as powerful as a standard hum. The biggest problem I had with mini-hums was EQ'ing my amp when switching from standard hums to mini's. I thought the mini's sounded good and recorded very good but the bridge model was a little thin sounding. Sell the Gibby and get what you want. Gibby buyers hate when you route out a body.

Comment

John - yeah, the thin sounding bridge really sucks. I guess I have to weigh my options and find out its worth.

Comment

Besides the Duncan SM-2 custom mini-humbucker or SM-3 Seymourized mini-humbucker, DiMarzio has a Hot Minibucker DP198.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry Pete, I don't know what Jackson used in the SLATQMs and I've never pulled them to check.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Just a thought, maybe add an onboard active EQ like an EMG Afterburner or a Bartolini, to give that pickup a bit of a hand. You could switch to master volume and master tone, and have the free pot space.
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Just a thought, maybe add an onboard active EQ like an EMG Afterburner or a Bartolini, to give that pickup a bit of a hand. You could switch to master volume and master tone, and have the free pot space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried that. A preamp only adds noise. It makes the slightly thin mini hum only sound like a louder slightly thin mini hum. My thoughts are if you are looking for the power and output of a full size hot humbucker, nothing will suffice except a full size hot humbucker. Mini hums are cool and they sound great but they ain't no Custom Custom or Evolution.

Comment

Well I guess that means it's off to the chopping block with this one and look for a double hum model.

Comment

I think you should sell it cheap to me!
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I think you should sell it cheap to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

All that set up and finally somebody got it. Nice Tim. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I'll take that thin sounding anemic Explorer off your hands too Pete. JK...

Comment

Well.... hmmmm... how about this... if you have an x-tra regular Gibby Explorer w/in line controls in any color but black, lets talk. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

what is the purpose of mini-hum pickups? anyone know?

I mean why not just put a regular humbucker in there to start with? I notice the classic Firebird V's all have the mini-hums too.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

To have a different tone, I guess skorb. Just like a P90 or single coil or whatever. It just so happened that the mini-hums came on the guitar that I bought.

Comment

Working...
                              X