Rainsong Acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rainsong Acoustics

I've played several RainSongs - there's a dealer here in the D.C. area - and if you like the bright, chimey acoustic sound, you'll love them. If you want a traditional, Martin/Taylor type sound, it's probably not for you. The only other acoustic I've heard that had that sort of high-end response was hand built by a luthier here in VA, and it was around $9000. (!) It was also 000-sized, and lacked half the volume of the RainSong.

I would think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread for playing in a band situation, however, since there's no way they'd get swallowed up.

If you want an acoustic that sounds like people think an acoustic should sound, they're probably not your bag. If you want something that sounds great, even if it's a little different, they're worth a listen. Plus, you can back your car over it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Hey Em, I have a 7 week old Taylor 110 I'll sell you. I picked it from 6 different 110's. It has killer bass response for a Taylor along with the Taylor highs.

Brian

Comment

Thanks for the replies, you guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, I like Guild too... played a couple of those. Bright guitars, just like I like. I mix in acoustic quite a bit with my music, which overall tends to have a darker and moody edge to it. So I need something that will cut through my JJ2 and Ibanez'. My low-end Takamine is nice to play, she's my baby, but I need something with more punch now.
        I'm not totally sold on on-board electronics, I think they kinda sound "tinny" sometimes. I dunno... that's just been my experience so far. I prefer to use a mic.

I was NOT impressed by Martin. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] I was in a shop last year and the guitar guy in there told me to sit down for a REAL treat! Then he handed me a Martin, I played it for a few minutes, shook my head and said
        "Nu-Ugh. Hand me a Seagull!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ah well.

Fretboard radius is not a factor for me, so that's not really something I'm concerned about size wise. I have very long fingers, thankfully.
        But I like ebony and rosewood. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete,
        I agree with you on trying acoustics out personally rather than buying sight-unseen if possible. Good advice.

Michael,
        I am very excited to try one of these Rainsongs! I'm heading down to San Antonio sometime here in the near future to do just that. I could care less what people expect an acoustic to sound like, if it has a sound that I love and I enjoy playing it- then that's fantabulous!
        Back my car over it? Woah. I'm not sure I'd want a demonstration, but that is pretty killer! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I'm still thinking about that Seagull Portrait I played a few months ago though, I fell in love with it but I freakin' HATE the headstock! UGH. It is so ugly IMO.

Brian,
        You're getting rid of your Taylor 110? Or are you willing to let me borrow it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Long post, sorry 'bout that! I think I touched on just about everything. Again, thanks for the replies. I've read them all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

True about the Seagull headstocks. Lovely guitars, really punchy and bright tone, but the headstock looks so disproportionate in size compared to the dreadnought body! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Em, I prefer non-electric acoustics as well, but for playing high volumes on stage, there is no substitute for plugging in. Mics on stage will feedback. But, if you're just jamming at home and doing low-volume recording, no problemo!

But I'd still be intrigued by the non-wood acoustics. Take it camping, take it to the lake, have it thrown in said lake, defend yourself and your food from a grizzly bear with it... whatever! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If you like the Seagulls, look for a Simon and Patrick luthier guitar. Same company, regular headstock. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Inexpensive guitars too... I think the seagulls/S&Ps are about the best buy out there.

Pete

Comment

Yup, Canadian company Godin owns a whole bunch of other Canadian brands:

http://www.godinguitars.com/

Comment

Working...
              X