Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainsong Acoustics

Howdy JCFers.

Has anyone played one of these models? If so, what do you think?
    I saw an ad in Guitar World for them and wondered what all the hype was about. Looked them up here:

Rainsong

They're made of carbon/graphite! Interesting.

Em

Re: Rainsong Acoustics

I always thought they were cool looking guitars, but because of the high price I never bothered to try one out. I was afraid it would play as good as it looked and I just couldn't justify that price at my current skill level.

Comment

I played a few at Mandollin Bros in NY back in December. They are awesome instruments, incredibly responsive. Very light, too. They are very, very good guitars, very high end. Not as warm as a wooden acoustic obviously, but you'd have to get a crazy high end guitar to get the response they have. The highs and upper mids are just fantastic. And, you can blow on the strings and hear them resonate, but the sound makes you want to stand up and strum it hard. I wouldn't trade my D'Angelico for one, but they put the Martin D-45 I had been playing right out of my head.
      I guess another nice thing about them is that if you like they way they sound (and they sound really good!), they'll always sound that way, they won't change with age. They also are incredibly easy to play, with great necks and action. What you'd expect from a 2 grand acoustic, I suppose.
      If you're looking to spend 2 grand on an acoustic I'd say get a D'angelico NL-2 used myself, but the Rainsongs are the real deal.

jim
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Thanks so much Nuno and Jim!

I don't have a dealer right here, but there is one in San Antonio and I wanted to check them out.
        I figured they would be pricey suckers! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

That is an incredible review, Jim, and just what I was wanting to hear. Thank You.
        The one thing I really love about acoustics is their smell, I know, that may be weird... but if I fall in love with a Rainsong I could get over that.

One question... what do you mean by "the sound makes you want to stand up and strum it hard" ? You mean it sounds so fantastic that you just can't help yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I do a lot of fingerpicking, and I don't like to have to pluck at the strings too hard. Some acoustics I feel like I have to literally draaaag the sound out of it, if you know what I mean.

Yes, I am looking at upgrading my acoustic... Takamine, Seagull and Taylor are the main three I'm looking into. I already own a Takamine. But this Rainsong caught my eye! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I've noted the D'Angelico to try out too, are their headstocks as huge as they seem in the pictures?

Sorry for the long winded post! Haha!
        I appreciate the feedback. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

I played one when I was shopping around. I played the Rainsong, Alvarez Yairi, Martins, and Taylors. The Rainsong is definitely cool and unique. You can play it on/in the lake.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's waterproof, afterall. I ended up buying a Marin HD35 and a Taylor 814ce over the Rainson and the Yairi. The Rainsong just had too much of a unique sound..... Imagine an Ovation to the 100th power. But very cool, nonetheless.

Comment

Ovation to the 100th power! Yeah, that's about it! The attack is very quick, and it's bright. They are very loud instruments, too.
            What I really like in an acoustic guitar is an arched top, F holes, and flatwound strings. The Rainsong is the exact polar opposite of that jazz sound. They are fun to play, absolutely. It might be great for fingerpicking, but I don't know if it would be better than a Collings or a Larrivee or any of a dozen others. Take yourself over to Mandolin Brothers web site and look around at what they've got. They're at mandoweb.com They carry Rainsongs, but they carry almost all of the other top line acoustics also. Nothing else gets the sound the Rainsong gets, and it's a great sound, but it isn't for everybody. You won't get a deep woody sound out of it, no matter what strings you put on it. You really do have to play one yourself. Luckily for you, almost everything at the Rainsong's price point is wonderful. The new Gibsons coming out of Montana, like the new L7's, are just amazing to play.
            Takamines I dislike, Seagulls are the best you can get for the price, and Taylors are lovely (IMHO). There's a reason so many people play a Taylor.
            And yeah, the D's headstock is gigantic ;-)

jim

Comment

I wanna get my hands on some graphite acoustics and try them. I've tried out Garrison guitars (Canadian brand) which have the entire bracing/binding/neckheel made out of a single piece of carbon fiber (or was it fiberglass, I can't remember) and then has solid wood sides/back/neck. But to try out a purely non-wood acoustic guitar would be awesome since I've never been about sticking with traditional ways.

From browsing on www.acousticguitarforum.com, I've read that the forum members generally don't feel that Rainsongs and other non-wood guitars have that big wood tone/warmth and sometimes describe them as sterile. Hell, what do they know, they're old geezer couch-based purists... and that makes me want to try everything I can get my hands on even more!

But they're consistent-sounding and are supposedly very climate-resistant. Downside is that they probably won't "age" like an all-solid-wood acoustic does and get better tone as you play it. But that's just a guess.

If you do get a Taylor, I wanna see pics. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm... excellent discussion here! I just have a minute, am heading out but will return tomorrow.

Jim- I think you and I may be opposite in our acoustic tastes! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Welcome to the JCF, btw! Great to have you here.
                From the info you've given me I have a better idea about these Rainsongs and am anxious to try one out. I will probably either love it or hate it then. I like a loud acoustic, bright on the treble strings but with a nice warm low-end as well.
                The fact that this is a non-wood guitar peaked my interest, but I'm a bit of a purist so I'd really have to be sold on this guitar when put up to a Taylor especially.
                Thank you for the link, I will visit definitely.

Alex,
                Yeah, I wondered if these would have a sterile sound like the forum geezers said. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I will have to judge that for myself.
                What caught my eye in the ad was the word "kickass" describing these guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm all for that as you know! Rock on. And they look like they're wearing tuxedos. I dunno.. that's just how they look to me. Pretty fancy dancy.

I requested a Taylor catalog and it came last week in the mail. Holy sh!t. I am in so much freakin' trouble. Of course the one I immediately drooled over is just shy of 11k!!!! Omigod! (the PS10ce). Gotta love that Brazilian Rosewood. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I gotta jet. Thanks people!

Em

Comment

You can also request the free Taylor DVDs on their website too! The current one describes the Taylor Expression System which is a MUST for all live/plug-in acoustic players!

http://taylorguitars.com/global/video.html

Yeah, those Taylor catalogs are killer. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] And the PS10ce is a primo choice. It may only increase in value due to the scarcity of the Brazilian!

Used on Ebay or used online is the way to go for a Taylor in my opinion. I typically watch for the maple 600 Series and Indian rosewood 800 Series on Ebay and they typically go for anywhere between $1400 and $2000. I originally wanted to buy a limited edition 810B (Brazilian rosewood) but those were obviously too expensive for me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

EM, if you do decide to go with a Taylor, take NOTP's advice and look around for one on ebay. I bought my 2003 814ce NOS in 2004 for under 2k. Of course, if you have the pennies, grab a Presentation series. Full review expected, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

A friend of mine has a 400 series Taylor with Koa back and sides, and man is she sweet. It's the only Koa acoustic I've ever played, and it really puts a knot into your thinking about how an acoustic should or can sound. My Guild D55 is Indian rosewood, and I love it, but I think I'd go with the Koa Taylor if I was buying today. (But then, I'm trying to get a Soloist from the classifieds today!)
                      Thanks for the Welcome!
                      jim

Comment

hmmm, interesting. I have seen these Rainsongs on the net and I like the idea of them. But there
                        aren't any dealers in my town. And I'm not thrilled with the 1 3/4" nut, I prefer a 1 11/16" nut.
                        However, I do like the "loud, loud, loud" part, even if it is on the sterile side. I just got my Collings SJ
                        a few weeks ago and can't put the thing down. I would like to get another acoustic and these graphite guitars
                        sound like they would be completely opposite of my Collings, which is fine with me. The Collings has got the
                        whole "woody" thing covered, and then some.

Anyone familiar with CA Guitars? They seem to be the same thing as the Rainsongs, but the CA's have
                        the 1 11/16" nut. But again, no dealers near me.

http://www.caguitars.com/

Comment

I have small hands and slim fingers, and I don't find my 1 3/4 inch nut on my Taylor K14c (koa series) to be too much of a hassle. Yes, it's a little bit wider than the 1 11/16th inch nuts I typically play, but the extra width reminded me of my 12-string's nut spacing which I sold.

Still haven't played a 1 5/8ths inch nut yet... I wanna try. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Em, as an alternative, sign up at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (linked above in a previous reply) and buy a used Taylor from a reputed forum member there if you're wanting a Taylor instead. That's where I got mine. I don't have the time to post there much anymore, but they're great people who really know their stuff.

EDIT: Included the Taylor category on Ebay:

http://instruments.listings.ebay.com/Aco...ListingItemList

And here's a 910 Brazilian if you don't mind the lack of cutaway/electronics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...80977&rd=1

Comment

I was recently flipping through the TV channels and it's very common for me to stop on GAC or CMT and watch the country pickers in action. There was a young lady playing a blue acoustic and after a minute or so, I recognized it to be a Rainsong.

Granted, I was mesmerized by her tight jeans and lovely voice, but I also noticed that her guitar "boomed" above the mix. It may have been that the sound guy was looking at her and not paying attention, but her sound was loud and bright.

I suggest finding one and giving it a try. I wouldn't worry about the fact that it's made of graphite. There are several brands with graphite, fiberglass bracing or construction. Hell, step outside the norm and give the middle finger to anyone that snickers. Experimentation is what music is all about. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            "POOP"

Comment

I would be really leery of purchasing an acoustic guitar over the net or ebay, since they are going to vary so much. When I taught guitar at a Taylor dealer, I played all the guitars that came in for 6 months and ended up buying a lowly 410E - it sounded better to me than any of them, including four presentation models.

Acoustic guitars vary by so much... the Taylors all had close to the same feel, but wood makes a huge difference in guitar tones. I'd recommend finding your acoustic in person and getting it that way if at all possible. This wouldn't be as big a deal with the Rainsong if it's completely made of carbon fiber/graphite/whatever, but on a wooden guitar... I'd buy in person.

FYI, I have a simon and patrick (seagull with normal headstock) 12 string and a guild 6 string - both of them sound and play GREAT and were under $600 each used. Acoustics vary so much that unless you have to have a certain brand, it pays to play as many as you can find in your price range.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X