Bought my first tele...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bought my first tele...

Pete, as your friend I really feel like it's my duty to tell you that's just about the gayest guitar I've ever seen [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

I think I need to come over and apply a Sully nutnoose while bashing you repeatedly with a pointy headstock.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

THAT coming from a DEAN collector? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

At least my Dean's don't have pink and yellow flowers all over them.

A $1500 1981 Dean kills, destroy, laughs at and spits out a $1000-$5000 1981 Charvel every single time. It's like comparing a Les Paul to a Fender Strat(with the Dean and Charvel being much better than the Les Paul and Strat).

Comment

Originally posted by The Eristic:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jsullysix:
          so um, how do you like it? i've always liked that shape...

sully
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hasn't made it's way to me just yet. I tried one out at a local music store and dug it, so I'm sure it will be about the same. The only thing I'm really worried about are the shared intonation/bridge pieces... E/A, D/G, and B/E share the same 'saddle/barrel'. So if I really like it, a bridge change will be in order.

It's totally different from everything else I have, which is why I got it. Besides, for the price, I don't think you can beat a japanese strat or tele.

Pete
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man, the barrel bridge is what MAKES the tele sound! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You're dead on with your comment about MIJ Fenders, though. You can get an MIJ '52 RI with EXACTLY the same specs as the US Vintage '52 for about half the price from Ishibashi, and it's likely higher quality, too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I actually would get a brass 'barrel' bridge set and bend em to improve the intonation... it's an old trick. That way I can leave the old bridge alone. Plus brass barrels sound better, or so I've heard.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
            At least my Dean's don't have pink and yellow flowers all over them.

A $1500 1981 Dean kills, destroy, laughs at and spits out a $1000-$5000 1981 Charvel every single time. It's like comparing a Les Paul to a Fender Strat(with the Dean and Charvel being much better than the Les Paul and Strat).
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, maybe I can just have karen paint a bullseye in black over the flowers... a tele floral bullseye guitar. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              Hey, maybe I can just have karen paint a bullseye in black over the flowers... a tele floral bullseye guitar. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's an idea BUT.......... have you ever seen an EVHII black/yellow telecaster? We know Karen can do it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Pete, when you get the Tele, post a video clip of you ripping the solo from Comfortably Numb! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I think teles are cool but I don't care for that particular wussieish paint scheme...I like a bound tele with dual hums and a floyd...they play good and sound alright...need better P/U's in my mind but if you are going for the tele twang then they are cool [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Tele body styles are my all time fave guitar body. Love 'em and think they rock.

The Fenders are great and don't be fooled by the single in the bridge...they can really rip it up..if you ever get a chance try and play an original Fender Esquire (Esquire is like the Tele but only has a bridge pku), very cool sounding guitar.

I also have a few Charvel tele styles with humbuckers and locking trems that are real nice. And I always loved the Mick Mars Tele shaped Kramers w/Floyds.

To answer the Deans vs Charvel comparsion from Gregs post...tough one. Personal preference I suppose. I liked Deans and was lucky enough to acquire some early ones..sound and looked great but the neck shape/feel varied a lot from one Dean to the next. I don't think Deans kills Charvels...both are great. Hell on Christmas vacation I even fell in love with a cheap Ibanez my niece had gotten for Christmas..cheap guitars have come a long way in quality and especially playability..that thing kicked ass....
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Pete-

Teles are COOL. I've had many, and they are probably one of my favorite guitars. As a matter of fact, I had THAT one. I also had the matching pink paisley one as well. I ended up selling them to get some Gunslingers. Justin (jcguitars) still has one of them I think. It's in new condition, so if you need a nice one... You can probably get one that's unplayed cheaper though. To make it into a real MONSTER, get a Dimarzio Chopper T for the bridge! Very cool, loud, nasty pickup. I think they also make the Tone Zone for teles, but I'd also like to try the SD Little '59 for teles. Once I get my mouth paid off, I'll probably buy another one. But not those GAY flowery blue ones... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Not making that mistake twice! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding! Tell me - what do you think about the neck? that was the one thing I didn't like due to the finish, which looked like you could dive into it cuz it was so thick! I did like the board and fret feel though!

Comment

I recently got the Tele itch too. I never liked Tele's up until about a year ago and now they're my main guitars. Here are mine:

American Standard Tele with Dimarzio Fast Track T and Twang King in the neck. Added the pearloid pickguard too.

Richie Kotzen Signature Tele made for Japan Market only. I don't have a pic of mine handy, but this is the exact one I've got. Dimarzio Chopper T and Twang King in the neck. The neck is 50's style super fat profile. Instead of a tone control its actually a parallel/series switch.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                          Pete-

Teles are COOL. I've had many, and they are probably one of my favorite guitars. As a matter of fact, I had THAT one. I also had the matching pink paisley one as well. I ended up selling them to get some Gunslingers. Justin (jcguitars) still has one of them I think. It's in new condition, so if you need a nice one... You can probably get one that's unplayed cheaper though. To make it into a real MONSTER, get a Dimarzio Chopper T for the bridge! Very cool, loud, nasty pickup. I think they also make the Tone Zone for teles, but I'd also like to try the SD Little '59 for teles. Once I get my mouth paid off, I'll probably buy another one. But not those GAY flowery blue ones... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Not making that mistake twice! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding! Tell me - what do you think about the neck? that was the one thing I didn't like due to the finish, which looked like you could dive into it cuz it was so thick! I did like the board and fret feel though!
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think once I'm done figuring out which guitars are keepers and which are 'short timers' - the keepers are getting the necks sanded down and then oiled. I hate gloss finishes on the back of necks.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X