Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New PRS model

Originally posted by StuTDavis:
    Why does PRS even bother to call these different actual "models"? I mean...in my mind, they have 2 real models--the double cutaway, and the single cutaway. Everything else they do with those 2 guitars is just a series of iterations of slight modifications and options. The creativity of that company is just pathetic. I mean, at least ESP and Ibanez have COPIED other guitar shapes and styles over the years than their basic stratty shapes...at least that's SOMETHING hehehe.

Stu
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because they don't feel the need to have different shapes. Where does it say a company has to be creative to be GOOD? I hope nowhere, because that means that Carvin, Dean, Jackson, Charvel, Hamer, etc. are all fucked. Gibson and Fender did most everything first.

*cough*

Comment

Bc Rich were creative and look it where it got them..They never broke out like Gibson or Fender cause it was just too much for most people. Sure they have a loyal cult following. Even the early radical gibson shapes were put on the backburner for years.

rich

Comment

I've never tried a PRS, but if today's PRS's do suck, it's certainly not because of CNC machines.

Comment

Originally posted by markpb:
          You want handmade? Buy a Driskill or a Melancon or a Suhr or a Baker or a McInturff and see what it costs you. It will always be more, and in most cases significantly more (like double). .
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own several McInturffs, and comparable models always cost me less than PRS. The retail price may be higher but the selling price new is not. TCM's IMHO give some of the best bang for the buck on a new handmade boutique guitar. Also a similarly appointed Hamer goes for less than a PRS, and IMHO the quality is better. I am not dogging PRS, because they do make a fine guitar (although I have not found one that is for me).

Comment

Well I only say it because I looked at an Empress and a Zodiac briefly, and one was $1000 more and the other was $1700 more than a PRS Custom 24,and that was selling price as quoted to me. I'm sure they have lower price models. The PRS in question had a 10 top but no birds. I suppose if you get a PRS custom with all the bells and whistles that would push the price up. I just find it strange that people single PRS out. Right now at the store down the street from me there is: a PRS Custom 24, 10 top no birds, for $3199. There is a Les Paul standard for $2899, and Anderson Cobra for $3999 (!), a Les Paul Custom for $3499, and an Ibanez Pat Metheny for $3699. So I guess I just don't see PRS as sticking out price wise. An exception would be a Hollowbody they had at the same store, that must have been about $4500, which I thought was pretty pricey. Ah, they're all friggin' expensive. There is a DK1 there actually, for $2399, which really isn't that far behind pricewise, but still an improvement.

edit: ps these are canadian prices ( I just realized they must look pretty insane to you) Also I forgot to comment on the fact that you own several McInturffs: ya ratbastard!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nothing says a company has to be creative to be GOOD, and neither did I. If you read my post again--in fact, if you could read everything I've ever written in regards to PRS--I've never said anything about them not being GOOD. I've never played a PRS, myself, because neither of their two models interests me at all. I was just pointing out how completely lame I think they are. Care to bring up some more points against remarks that I never made, genius? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Stu

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
              Because they don't feel the need to have different shapes. Where does it say a company has to be creative to be GOOD? I hope nowhere, because that means that Carvin, Dean, Jackson, Charvel, Hamer, etc. are all fucked. Gibson and Fender did most everything first.

*cough* [/QB]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Nothing says a company has to be creative to be GOOD, and neither did I. If you read my post again--in fact, if you could read everything I've ever written in regards to PRS--I've never said anything about them not being GOOD. I've never played a PRS, myself, because neither of their two models interests me at all. I was just pointing out how completely lame I think they are. Care to bring up some more points against remarks that I never made, genius? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Stu
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, yeah. Your stance on the Jews is appalling. I mean, just coming out in this thread and saying 'they're like the blacks only with a minty fresh smell'... that's OFFENSIVE, and I WON'T TOLERATE IT. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, I have a tendency to quote someone and make a point that's applicable to other things in the thread. I should have quoted you AND Black Mask, then my comments would make more sense. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I curious to see the new neck joint and to hear the new pups.

Comment

I've got a PRS Santana III. It's a fantastic guitar. It sounds great, looks great, and it plays great. What more do you need?

I'm not a fan of the import Santana model but the import Tremonti is a hell of a guitar for the price.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Uhhh yeah, that makes MUCH more sense, since Black Mask, just like me, said nothing about PRS guitars not being GOOD. I think you meant to comment about Toad The Wet Frog's post above, saying "PRS guitars are crap! They suck!" instead.

Stu

Originally posted by Black Mariah:

Seriously, I have a tendency to quote someone and make a point that's applicable to other things in the thread. I should have quoted you AND Black Mask, then my comments would make more sense. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [/QB]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by markpb:
                        Well I only say it because I looked at an Empress and a Zodiac briefly, and one was $1000 more and the other was $1700 more than a PRS Custom 24,and that was selling price as quoted to me. I'm sure they have lower price models. The PRS in question had a 10 top but no birds. I suppose if you get a PRS custom with all the bells and whistles that would push the price up. I just find it strange that people single PRS out. Right now at the store down the street from me there is: a PRS Custom 24, 10 top no birds, for $3199. There is a Les Paul standard for $2899, and Anderson Cobra for $3999 (!), a Les Paul Custom for $3499, and an Ibanez Pat Metheny for $3699. So I guess I just don't see PRS as sticking out price wise. An exception would be a Hollowbody they had at the same store, that must have been about $4500, which I thought was pretty pricey. Ah, they're all friggin' expensive. There is a DK1 there actually, for $2399, which really isn't that far behind pricewise, but still an improvement.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now I understand the price hikes. Here in the states, you can get a TCM for 40% off list which in most cases is less than a comparably equipt PRS (materials/top ect).

Comment

I owned a 91' CE24 with the small heel. It was nothing to write home about but it was very well balanced and played nicely. I recently played a $5600.00 Classic with the 10 top, birds, dragons etc.. It was absolutely a work of art and was way too nice for me to play on a regular basis. The fit and finish were flawless. I think with PRS you have to pay alot to get alot. I'll stick with import Charvels myself.

Comment

i'm interested in the ce soap, i like the black burst off the site..

Dave

Comment

I own 3 PRS guitars, Custom 22 and 2 CE-24's. I feel that they are the best guitars I own. Yes they can be expensive but you can find them pretty cheap if you shop around.

I actually got my Custom 22 new at guitar center. It was a one time offer of $1000, the original price tag was $2579 and LIST was about $3300.

I paid $800 each for my CE-24's. One was in mint condition. It had been played for six months and then put away for five years. The other CE was in good condition with normal dings and scratches, but it had a beatiful faded blue finish that I just loved.

So I paid $2600 for three PRS guitars with is what a brand new one would have cost, and the great thing is that they hold their value pretty well.
                              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Uhhh yeah, that makes MUCH more sense, since Black Mask, just like me, said nothing about PRS guitars not being GOOD. I think you meant to comment about Toad The Wet Frog's post above, saying "PRS guitars are crap! They suck!" instead.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stu - Thank You!

Mariah - I never said a single word about PRS lacking quality. In fact, I believe just the opposite. PRS guitars are very high quality.... my only point is that it's a bit surprising how little innovation they offer when you consider their reputation as industry leaders.

You shouldn't misquote me and then [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] smile about it. I don't think that's fair.

Comment

Working...
                                X