New PRS model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PRS model

Interesting new pickup combo and a slightly longer scale. I'd like to see the new neck joint. I'm sure it is only 12 grand or so.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...-Rosewood.html

Re: New PRS model

Wow, how innovative. Only about 13 years behind the Jackson Warrior.

Comment

Why does PRS even bother to call these different actual "models"? I mean...in my mind, they have 2 real models--the double cutaway, and the single cutaway. Everything else they do with those 2 guitars is just a series of iterations of slight modifications and options. The creativity of that company is just pathetic. I mean, at least ESP and Ibanez have COPIED other guitar shapes and styles over the years than their basic stratty shapes...at least that's SOMETHING hehehe.

Stu

Comment

Those pickups and switches look like they came off of an old Ibanez Pro-Line!

Comment

I used to work at PRS back in the early days. (it's about a half hour away)Back then, there was a real attention to detail. We were told that if a particular piece of wood looked a little "iffy" to set it to the side...no questions asked. The motto was "If you have to question it, it ain't o.k.". It was a good place to work...everything was cut and sanded by hand, etc. Then, one day, the CNC machines came, on big semi trucks. No word, no warning. Dozens of people got laid off. No more hand cutting anything..just shove a rough block of mahogany into the machine, shut the door, and press the button, and out popped a PRS. We used to make a couple dozen guitars a week, suddenly we were making a couple dozen guitars a day. A few months went by, and then necks became automated. I remember an older guy there saying "next thing you know he'll be cranking them out in China." Sure enough, now there's the overseas line. When Paul came rolling up one day in a Blue Ferrari, we all knew it was over. They were nice guitars once, but now they're just more overpriced garbage. I don't know how they can possibly say the "USA Line" is handmade. Hand assembled maybe, but totally machine made. Even the $10,000 Dragon is a CNC guitar...right down to that dragon inlay. What a shame. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

thats why i havnt bought one, i dont mind paying big$ for a hand made guitar but when they bring in the CNCs they should lower the price. & now the older ones well not even that old what pre-95? are getting really expensive. a place by me has a 89 all mahogany no top custom 24 he's asking $5500. it is awesome tho i think they sounded so much more alive when the used the thinner finish, not these new ones that look like glass.

Comment

I think cnc's are fine for grunt work, like cutting bodies, and rough neck's. It allows for more precise necks and bodies. Where it gets iffy is when they have a freaking robot for buffing out finishes..

I just got a new custom tom anderson, and it's amazing, I know the body and neck were cnc'd, i'm ok with that... the fine detail work, and fretwork are superb, second to none. It took about a month to complete, total wait time was about 4 months (waiting in line for a spot).

prs got greedy.. thats why i dig the andersons so much.. 17 people work there, i can talk to tom or roy anytime i want, they answer my emails too. they also only make 700ish guitars a year.. i bet prs makes that a day now.

if the public is dumb enough to buy it.. so be it.. les pauls have been way overpriced for years.. people still pay big bux for it.

dave

Comment

Not Flamin here, but my Mccarty is without a doubt the most well finished, detailed, well balanced, and smoothest playing instrument I own. That of course doesnt mean that they all are, but mine is without a doubt a fine, fine stringed instrument.

Would I have paid $2700 for it new? HELL NO. Nor would I pay that much for essentially any guitar, and I can afford to.

Was it a great buy used @ $1000? Definitely. I love my LP, and paid about $200 more for it, but the fit and finish is not even remotely close. The Mccarty is a work of art and sounds and plays like butter..

Thats my opinion.
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I like PRS guitars as well. I had a SAS which I really regret selling. The workmanship was excellent, but Anderson and Melancon might even be better. They are overpriced in my opinion, but the market determines sale price. If people wouldn't pay it, PRS certainly wouldn't charge it.

Comment

You guys fucking rule. Finally, a message board where people speak the truth about PRS.

Everything PRS does is an imitation. They charge thousands and thousands of dollars for guitars that, although high in quality, offer NO innovation whatsoever. Flame maple tops don't excite me when everything the company has done over the past twenty years has been done by Fender/Gibson/Jackson/Whoever a dozen times before.

Testify! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My next guitar will most likely be a PRS McCarty.

Comment

They aren't bad, but they are overpriced. I have one, and its pretty nice, but I couldn't get buy with owning just a PRS. I could, however, be content with owning just my Soloist.

From a business standpoint, what PRS pulled off is pretty impressive. They have capitalized on the boutique mystique of the early days at PRS to drive the prices of the new instruments to where they are today.

Mine doesn't leave the house, since I have a reputation to maintain and consequently cannot be seen playing a PRS guitar in public. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've owned three PRS guitars, all pre-95. My CE-24 bolt-ons were pretty cool, actually--I wouldn't mind owning another someday, but it's not a big priority. My old Custom 22 setneck, with birdeyes and 10-top, is probably worth a fortune now to whoever owns it. Personally, I didn't think it was that great--the frets were small and sharp, the neck radius wasn't very good for shredding, and it seemed kind of bland-sounding. I sold it within a few months of getting it.

But I've played other very old PRS's that were totally kick-ass in every way, even for shred. I haven't played many of the newer ones, since they are both expensive and not what I'm looking for in a guitar.

Comment

Thing is though, if someone shoves a PRS in your hands, try and find a fault with it.You wont. The finish, the set up, the intonation, the hardware, tuning stability, balance,playability,the quality of the wood,tonal complexity, fretwork, all of it will be A+. Some complain they use CNC machines and charge handmade prices? That is an Ed Roman regurgitation.You shouldn't be letting him mail you your brains. Fact is, they are hybrid guitars:a lot of the finishing on PRS guitars is done by hand, and the basic structure is done with CNC. And they don't charge handmade prices. You want handmade? Buy a Driskill or a Melancon or a Suhr or a Baker or a McInturff and see what it costs you. It will always be more, and in most cases significantly more (like double). Even Andersons are more, a bolt on strat with little more done by hand than PRS does, CNC's are used for exactly the same purpose there. I have Jacksons (I love 'em) and PRS and they both suit me fine. I think the CE series and the basic Customs are a good value. Some say that Hamers are an example of value, but the high end Hamers are as expensive or more than many PRS and frankly PRS consistently makes better guitars.

Comment

I am a nut for old Charvel's as well a big PRS fan.
                              There are 5 new models coming out in Jan.
                              EG doublecut overseas with 3 singlecoils.
                              SC with 2 P90's overseas.
                              513 Rosewood is a DC with a all rosewood neck and 5 singlecoils, also has a 5 way and a 3 way for a total of 13 Pickup combonations.
                              The Modern Eagle is the guitar that Paul himself is playing. It is a players Private Stock.
                              Last, the is the CU22/12. Its a 12 string electric CU 22 fret.

Gregory

Comment

Working...
                              X