NGD + pics: 1998 Ibanez RG550 Desert Sun Yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    I haven't spent enough time for the X2N-B to really make an impression on me yet, beyond the fact that I realize it is super hot. It's kind of "flat" (ie - bass/mid/treble are all pretty balanced) so it doesn't really shine in any one area or have a distinct "personality" or "voice", but the one distinguishing feature you notice immediately is its sheer power. Time will tell whether I keep that pickup in there. I feel like if I were to sell it, I could command top dollar for it, since it's currently only "readily" available through the DiMarzio Custom Shop (http://www.dimarzio.com/faq/do-you-still-make).

As for the JB in the neck... you know how it has a "singing" sort of quality in the bridge position when playing leads? That carries over to the neck position too. The Seymour Duncan forum has a few fans of the JB in the neck, but it's very much an unorthodox choice.

I should really record a demo or video to showcase this unusual pickup combination. If you think about how a typical "high output" setup might have an 8k pickup in the neck and a 16k pickup in the bridge, basically this guitar has DOUBLE resistance - there is a 16k JB in the neck and a 37k X2N-B in the bridge. I'm aware that resistance doesn't perfectly translate into output, but still, it's one hot guitar.

Is this the pickup??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DiMarzio-X2N...qH-QypX14jCmEw
    A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Yes that's the one! Hmm I was imagining it having a Buy It Now price of well over $100. Guess I was wrong about it being rare and valuable.

kamanda that's awesome!

Comment

Yep... Desert Yellow RG550 with the maple neck. The definitive shredders tool. It does everything and anything you ask of it. The X2N is a monster of a pickup. I can't have one in my guitar because of my defibrillator! lol...... Too much magnetic pull could get me in major trouble. Just kidding of course.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Thx.

The original humbucker died a few years back. Not sure how, but it got real thin and twangy sounding. Turned out to be an internal short.
          I replaced it with a Screamin' Demon at first, but then I got an Evo and wow, that really opened up the guitar.

I still need to find a decent 5 way selector that's not a plastic hunk of crap. The original wore out 10+ years ago.
          I got an original off of eBay, but they really aren't built that well. I actually change pickups a lot when I play. I kill selectors all the time.
          Any recommendations for the Ibby?
          the dimarzio super 5 way switch should work...i put one in one of mine...much better quality than the ym-50...but wiring it is a nightmare (so many options)...they run about 29 bucks...d.m.

https://reverb.com/item/6933808-dima...pi_D_BwE&pla=1
          Last edited by diablomozart; 10-29-2017, 12:13 AM.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
            the dimarzio super 5 way switch should work...i put one in one of mine...much better quality than the ym-50...but wiring it is a nightmare (so many options)...they run about 29 bucks...d.m.

https://reverb.com/item/6933808-dima...pi_D_BwE&pla=1
            I went with the standard DiMarzio 5 way (EP1104).
            Feels great and no more scratchy noises and dead spots.

Bad lighting... makes the guitar look purple. It's really Jewel Blue.

Last edited by rjohnstone; 11-01-2017, 03:43 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

Holy shitballs that's an amazing RG560. Glad the switch worked out well!

I know you mentioned you have an Evolution in the bridge, but what are the neck and middle pickups?

SKB case?

Comment

Holy shitballs that's an amazing RG560. Glad the switch worked out well!

I know you mentioned you have an Evolution in the bridge, but what are the neck and middle pickups?

SKB case?
                Thanks... she's got a lot of miles on her.

I put a set of HS-2s in neck and middle position.
                Nice and clean, and I can tap them later if I want. (They're 4 wire stacked humbuckers).
                That's where an EP1112 would come in handy.
                I like them in full humbucker mode as they have a great clean tone to them. Not twangy like regular single coils.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                  Sorry for the terrible distorted image:

It's not yet on their website, but our favorite local consignment store recently received a 1991 RG550 in the same Laser Blue color as yours, all stock. I think it was CAD$350 + taxes and includes a case, but it's in worse condition than yours.

A large chunk of blue paint was missing from the front face of the upper horn. The weird thing was that underneath the chunk of missing blue paint was something like hard white plastic, and nor bare basswood. I didn't know what to think.

There is also a developing M-shaped crack on the back of the neck at the locking nut screw holes that seems to be endemic among RGs. I know I've avoided buying two previous RGs that had this neck crack.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  Thanks... she's got a lot of miles on her.

I put a set of HS-2s in neck and middle position.
                  Nice and clean, and I can tap them later if I want. (They're 4 wire stacked humbuckers).
                  That's where an EP1112 would come in handy.
                  I like them in full humbucker mode as they have a great clean tone to them. Not twangy like regular single coils.
                  The age certainly doesn't show!

I just listened to some HS-2 clips on Youtube. Nice fat sound in series, and exactly what I would expect when split. According to http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2122, 15k resistance... whoa!

Comment

The age certainly doesn't show!

I just listened to some HS-2 clips on Youtube. Nice fat sound in series, and exactly what I would expect when split. According to http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2122, 15k resistance... whoa!
                    That's why I like the pickups. They're pretty versatile.
                    It's the same pickup Jackson uses in the middle position on the PC1.

Oh and the case is from my old JDR-94. (Mid 90s Jackson Case)
                    I had to mod it a bit as the neck heel on the Ibanez is very different from a Jackson.
                    -Rick

Comment

Love the Desert Yellow! Had the same one and really liked the AANJ...........
                      "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Working...
                      X