NGD + pics: 1998 Ibanez RG550 Desert Sun Yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD + pics: 1998 Ibanez RG550 Desert Sun Yellow

Specifications: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG550_(1997%E2%80%932002)

In mid-September 2017, I bought a 1998 Ibanez RG550 Desert Sun Yellow (DSY) for CAD$400 (USD$330). It was neglected and grimy, but was otherwise in very good condition and looks great after cleaning and setup. Plays awesome.

I've heard that Ibanez uses DayGlo paint in their neon guitars (and if not, DayGlo is basically a perfect color match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJFPCjdMLk). I've seen photos where the neon guitars have lost their brightness over time when exposed to light, and the obscene brilliance of DSY fades into more of a muted, banana yellow. Checking under my pickguard, I can tell there is very slight fading, but not significant. I keep my guitars in their cases anyway, so hopefully that will help to preserve the vibrant tint for as long as I own it.

When I got it, a standard spaced Seymour Duncan JB was installed in the bridge. To my surprise, the neck pickup was a DiMarzio DP125 X2N-B (a bass version of the X2N), which I've heard to be absolutely insane in a guitar application. During my cleaning and setup, I switched them around, so that the "cooler" 16k JB was in the neck and the "hotter" 37k X2N-B was in the bridge, which made more sense to me. Output in both positions is extremely hot; dare I say, maybe too hot, as most of my other "high output" bridge humbuckers are rated around 16k resistance. The only Youtube video demonstrating the X2N-B in a guitar application is linked below, and coincidentally compares it to a JB, which reflects my scenario exactly, so this video gives an accurate comparison.

Full sized images on my Imgur account: http://notp1.imgur.com

It joins my two RG570s from the same era so they are basically all "the same guitar". I suppose if I had a wife, she'd kill me for so many duplicate guitars. It seems like lightning strikes thrice and I can't seem to score more diverse Ibanez guitars. (I sold the 1986 RG600 back to its original owner since I didn't have time for it: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...nsparent-Black)

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM.

Nice addition. Those maple boards are awesome.
    I'm particular to the 560 myself.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks. I would love another RG560. A 1990 RG560 was my first electric guitar which I got in 2000. It wasn't until I got my hands on other guitars (of various brands) that I realized that particular RG560 was probably a lemon. It was a solid, well-built guitar from Ibanez's "golden era", but no matter what, it sounded dull compared to other guitars, and I couldn't get the action where I wanted, and even my tech's setups didn't seem to help.

After I sold it, that sour impression of Ibanez remained with me for a very long time. This was in the 2000s when we JCFers were really bashing Ibanez ("Ibeenhad") and by then I had already moved on to Jacksons which outplayed my RG560. I left Ibanez in the dust and never looked back.

Then in 2016, I became more open-minded and lifted the grudge against the Ibanez brand. Thankfully the "dud syndrome" was isolated to just that first RG560 because every Ibanez I've played and owned since then were/are faultless guitars. I'm a born-again Ibanez owner.

In retrospect, I'm glad I had a "lousy" guitar as my first electric guitar. It made me learn how to dissect and diagnose it. While unsuccessful, those skills were invaluable going forward in evaluating what made a guitar a great candidate for ownership.

I hope whoever owns that RG560 was able to make it work for them, but holy crap, I never want to see that clunker again. I'll happily own another RG560 that doesn't have a curse on it though.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Sweet! Love that color. Congrats.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Thanks. I would love another RG560. A 1990 RG560 was my first electric guitar which I got in 2000.
            Mine is a 1987 RG560. My wife bought it for herself new back in 87. She had to custom order it as the color and maple board combo were not available at the time. She gave up playing shortly after and I started using it. Fantastic guitar. These were pre-V series pickups. They were actual DiMarzios from the factory.

Still have both.

CJ.jpg
            -Rick

Comment

Great pic. Two keepers. Those maple-boarded RG560s are rather uncommon! Awesome jewel blue finish. Yup, those first RGs had IBZ/USA F (humbuckers) and C (single coils) pickups made for Ibanez by DiMarzio! The Ibanez guys on Facebook love those pickups.

Comment

So you like that pickup? its for a bass?? hmmmm... Eventually I want to find something a little hotter for an olp benji madden I have, well a lot hotter, I use it to tune down for slipknot type stuff and need the squeals...
                A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Great pic. Two keepers. Those maple-boarded RG560s are rather uncommon! Awesome jewel blue finish. Yup, those first RGs had IBZ/USA F (humbuckers) and C (single coils) pickups made for Ibanez by DiMarzio! The Ibanez guys on Facebook love those pickups.
                  Thx.

The original humbucker died a few years back. Not sure how, but it got real thin and twangy sounding. Turned out to be an internal short.
                  I replaced it with a Screamin' Demon at first, but then I got an Evo and wow, that really opened up the guitar.

I still need to find a decent 5 way selector that's not a plastic hunk of crap. The original wore out 10+ years ago.
                  I got an original off of eBay, but they really aren't built that well. I actually change pickups a lot when I play. I kill selectors all the time.
                  Any recommendations for the Ibby?
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by phragle View Post
                    So you like that pickup? its for a bass?? hmmmm... Eventually I want to find something a little hotter for an olp benji madden I have, well a lot hotter, I use it to tune down for slipknot type stuff and need the squeals...
                    I haven't spent enough time for the X2N-B to really make an impression on me yet, beyond the fact that I realize it is super hot. It's kind of "flat" (ie - bass/mid/treble are all pretty balanced) so it doesn't really shine in any one area or have a distinct "personality" or "voice", but the one distinguishing feature you notice immediately is its sheer power. Time will tell whether I keep that pickup in there. I feel like if I were to sell it, I could command top dollar for it, since it's currently only "readily" available through the DiMarzio Custom Shop (http://www.dimarzio.com/faq/do-you-still-make).

As for the JB in the neck... you know how it has a "singing" sort of quality in the bridge position when playing leads? That carries over to the neck position too. The Seymour Duncan forum has a few fans of the JB in the neck, but it's very much an unorthodox choice.

I should really record a demo or video to showcase this unusual pickup combination. If you think about how a typical "high output" setup might have an 8k pickup in the neck and a 16k pickup in the bridge, basically this guitar has DOUBLE resistance - there is a 16k JB in the neck and a 37k X2N-B in the bridge. I'm aware that resistance doesn't perfectly translate into output, but still, it's one hot guitar.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    Thx.

The original humbucker died a few years back. Not sure how, but it got real thin and twangy sounding. Turned out to be an internal short.
                    I replaced it with a Screamin' Demon at first, but then I got an Evo and wow, that really opened up the guitar.

I still need to find a decent 5 way selector that's not a plastic hunk of crap. The original wore out 10+ years ago.
                    I got an original off of eBay, but they really aren't built that well. I actually change pickups a lot when I play. I kill selectors all the time.
                    Any recommendations for the Ibby?
                    None of my switches have failed me so far, but in the below video (same video I linked in my OP regarding DayGlo colors matching the original Ibanez neon colors), there is mention of a DiMarzio multipole switch (DiMarzio part number EP1112) which allows flexible switching options, but I guess even if you go with conventional switching, it should still be a good American-made switch. Start watching around 10:57.

Comment

Good call on the X2N's. I used them on almost everything.

Comment

None of my switches have failed me so far, but in the below video (same video I linked in my OP regarding DayGlo colors matching the original Ibanez neon colors), there is mention of a DiMarzio multipole switch (DiMarzio part number EP1112) which allows flexible switching options, but I guess even if you go with conventional switching, it should still be a good American-made switch. Start watching around 10:57.
                        Thx... I'll check it out.

I found it! DiMarzio EP1104 is a direct swap for the plastic 5-way switch in Ibanez guitars. Same dimensions.

ep1104_01.jpg
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM.
                        -Rick

Comment

Nice! It's quite amazing how we walk the same line for guitars haha I have a '91 550

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Thx... I'll check it out.

I found it! DiMarzio EP1104 is a direct swap for the plastic 5-way switch in Ibanez guitars. Same dimensions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9686[/ATTACH]
                            Excellent! The EP1104 must be the "standard" 5-way switch, if you don't need complex wiring. Probably cheaper than the EP1112 multipole switch too!

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                            Nice! It's quite amazing how we walk the same line for guitars haha I have a '91 550
                            Pics please!

Comment

Sorry for the terrible distorted image:

Comment

Working...
                              X