NGD- Grover Jackson BCR 'Slinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markD View Post
    BTW - KILLER BCR!!!! I was really drooling over those when they came out. I remember seeing a natural finished one that really blew me away, but for whatever reason I never grabbed one. I might have to open my eyes again.....
    Likewise! I've been wanting to try one of these for a while- the only thing that held me back was the 22 frets and the price tag. But following a lengthy debate on another forum thread about the merits of the neck p'up position on 22 fret guitars, I was GAS-ing a 22 fret-er. Then seeing a Grover Gunslinger, I threw in a low-ball bid and to my surprise, won it. Yee-fucking-ha!

Comment

very cool, always wanted to try one of them but no place around here had them.

Comment

Just a follow up- after having given it a thorough test ride, I'm now more convinced that this is a Charvel pro mod San Dimas with slightly different (better) cutaways and heel, with a different manufacturer on the headstock. Sadly, I also was reminded of why I don't get along with 22 fret-ers. While the heel and cut aways are better, it still just doesn't play/feel as well as my 24 and 27 fret axes. The neck p'up positioning sounds better but the trade off for reduced upper fret ergonomics/ease of access iMO is not worth it.

Comment

Wow cool photo Vector, nice light and detail. That's one hell of a rock. So I find the 22/24 fret argument interesting. I learned on a 22 fret guitar and played only that for a long time. Then I became a 24 fret snob for a while. Eventually I gravitated back towards 22 fret Jackson Strats. The issue for me was balance, the 22 fretters tend to be perfecly balanced while the 24 fretters tend to have some sort of balance issue going on, either neck dive or forwards tilt. You have to pull the neck out a bit so they tend to dive. I never considered the fact that the neck pup position changes, just another reason to love the 22 fretters! I still own a couple 24 fretters though.

Comment

I have no idea why BC Rich is still calling these "gunslingers" The original BC Rich gunslinger is a single slanted pickup and reverse headstock. they created it to compete with the Kramer Beretta hence the name it was given. all the BC Riches with more pickups where either the ST series or an Assassin. Gunslinger = 1 pickup. Seems nobody at BC rich even knows or understand their brand or model names. would be like Jackson making a tele shape guitar and calling it a Rhoads.

Comment

Not really. Original gunslingers could have been ordered w more than 1 pickup and not always slanted. STs were slightly rounder and had no recess under the trem and assassin had the ASM headstocks but were basically slingers.

Comment

This is badass. I had no idea Grover worked with/at BC Rich.

Photo of the back (please) so we can see the supposedly-better heel (compared to a Charvel Pro-Mod)?

Comment

OK
                  Last edited by vector; 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    This is badass. I had no idea Grover worked with/at BC Rich.

Photo of the back (please) so we can see the supposedly-better heel (compared to a Charvel Pro-Mod)?
                    Note the angle of the plate to the body. Also the deeper cut-away than the more traditional Strat shape of the pro mods.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                      I have no idea why BC Rich is still calling these "gunslingers" The original BC Rich gunslinger is a single slanted pickup and reverse headstock. they created it to compete with the Kramer Beretta hence the name it was given. all the BC Riches with more pickups where either the ST series or an Assassin. Gunslinger = 1 pickup. Seems nobody at BC rich even knows or understand their brand or model names. would be like Jackson making a tele shape guitar and calling it a Rhoads.
                      Yeah, I'd have to disagree with you as well. I bought a 2H Gunslinger released in Japan that was nearly identical to this. Not an ST, definitely not an Assassin.

While the quintessential 'Slinger is 1 slanted hum, it was not limited to that.

Comment

Thanks for the photo of the back! You didn't GTWGITS though.

Interesting trem spring layout! Never seen that one before. Wouldn't there be asymmetrical tension on those two springs? Then again, I'm pretty vanilla with my parallel 1-3-5 layout. Only recently did I start trying the W-shape layout at the suggestion of a Dan Erlewine book, but even then that's a pretty unremarkable layout.

Comment

Thanks for the photo of the back! You didn't GTWGITS though.

Interesting trem spring layout! Never seen that one before. Wouldn't there be asymmetrical tension on those two springs? Then again, I'm pretty vanilla with my parallel 1-3-5 layout. Only recently did I start trying the W-shape layout at the suggestion of a Dan Erlewine book, but even then that's a pretty unremarkable layout.
                          That offset V adds to the blues rock chatter. Little known physics issue which greatly enhances tone and sustain 20 fold. Also being looked into as a possible cure for cancer.

Comment

Just wait until you add the big brass block and red trem springs. I think you might be able to get by on ONE trem spring. Insert the hook into position 1 of the block, and cross the spring diagonally to position 5 of the trem claw. That will bring world peace.

Comment

Just wait until you add the big brass block and red trem springs. I think you might be able to get by on ONE trem spring. Insert the hook into position 1 of the block, and cross the spring diagonally to position 5 of the trem claw. That will bring world peace.

Not sure I'm gonna be able to bring that world peace. No point in putting a brass big block and red springs on if I won't be keeping her.

Comment

Working...
                              X