No announcement yet.

NGD... G&L Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally prefer rear-loaded, but the pickguard look never bothered me, so I thought it would be cool to have something more traditional looking now.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Joe. I just lower the mid pup flush to the body on my strats. I always used to hit them too. They're clear of striking distance and even the most buried floppy-string dive-bomb. Then you still have the luxury to use it you wanna. I like it from time to time. It sounds even "jazzier" lowered flush..I think.

I love the NECKS..I never concerned myself about numbers and radiuses..C shape.. If it feels good , it is good. If it sounds good , it is good.

My old "friend" never liked the pup too..but I think he was just copying anything Eddie did really. He carved it out and tried every humbucker imaginable at that time. He was commited then, and prolly commited now in the psyche ward. GOD BLESS HIM !!!

I think the PUPs on the Swamp (heavy fuggin' ash) ash body were the selling point on those L-2000 basses..I knew how to get all the goods from it without thinking. I think Boxcar bought one long ago because I always go on about them. He went on to say.."what's all these switches for"..So I walked him thru Bassically. I think his bud bought a tribute model (nice) ..and then sold it. If I remember right.
      Yeah, I'll just lower the middle pup eventually. The neck is really sweet, what G&L calls Classic C... slight edge roll, medium taper from 0.830" to 0.960", starts off fairly slim and gets beefier up the neck. I never really concerned myself with the numbers either. It's also an alder body, not too heavy.

I'm not going to carve it out for a full-size humbucker, just maybe get a Little '59 or Cool Rail, Little Screamin Demon so it's a little more output and beef that will come somewhat close to matching the other pups without being too over-powering. The G&L CLF-100 single coils are actually pretty nice, though.

Comment

sweet axe, Joe. Are they your pics? They look real perfessional n' shit
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          i was never really a fan of G&L but never disliked them either. Build quality is great, now I understand why you bought it, $775 is a damn good price for an excellent guitar! Grats!
          Thanks. It was on ebay, advertised for $815, and they had it as a "demo", but it's really brand new, still had the plastic on the guard and backplate. They had to advertise it as slightly used as to get the suggested normal price of like $1300 or so down. It said make offer, so I lowballed them with $500, they came back with $799. My wife told me to go for it, but then I asked if they'd do $775 and they took it no problem. Guy even said they paid more for it from G&L than I did, so score for me!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            sweet axe, Joe. Are they your pics? They look real perfessional n' shit
            Gary, only the second pic is mine. The rest are from the ebay auction.

Comment

Nice one Joe! Any guitar that out strats a Strat is OK with me ��.
              "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I'm not going to carve it out for a full-size humbucker, just maybe get a Little '59 or Cool Rail, Little Screamin Demon so it's a little more output and beef that will come somewhat close to matching the other pups without being too over-powering.
                Don't know if you like DiMarzio's, but the Billy Corgan DP-226 are savage lil humbuckers and the DP-218 Super Distortion is insanity in a single coil size; lol.

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
                  Nice one Joe! Any guitar that out strats a Strat is OK with me ��.
                  Thanks, Mark. I agree! Leo did a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                    Don't know if you like DiMarzio's, but the Billy Corgan DP-226 are savage lil humbuckers and the DP-218 Super Distortion is insanity in a single coil size; lol.
                    I do like DiMarzios, especially the regular Super Distortion, but I'm not sure I want something too high output compared to the bridge and middle singles.

Comment

Great score! Loving the quarter-sawn neck!

Comment

How can you tell it's quarter-sawn? The spec sheet just says it's hard rock maple. It makes no mention if it's flatsawn or quartersawn. I just assumed it was flat since that's what is usually standard on G&Ls.

Comment

I was going by the headstock pic. At the tip, the grain looks perpendicular. But now that I look at it again,
                          it's hard to tell! Maybe a REAL woodworker will chip in?

Comment

Awesome score Joe! Looks great, and for what it s worth I don't see anything in those pics that would make me think its quarter-sawn. Looks exactly like flat-sawn should look. The only real way to tell is to look at the end grain. If the grain is running horizontal, or parallel to the face, its flat-sawn, if its running vertical/near vertical, or perpendicular to the face, its quarter-sawn. Either way it looks awesome!
                            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys! Plays very well, I just gotta put some new strings on later, as it's not staying in tune that great now when using the trem. They must have got a monkey to put on new strings quickly before shipping it out. They apparently don't know how to string vintage-type tuners, because there's gaps between the string wraps. I was able to fix a couple by loosening the string and pushing the wraps closer with a pick, but it's still not all that great. They're G&L-logoed Schaller tuners, so maybe I'll get some Schaller locking tuners to swap in later down the road. I just got a set of Fender Bullets strings I'll throw on later today and give it a whirl.

Comment

Looks flatsawn to me, too.

Cool grab, TJ. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X