Carvin #3 has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
    I got the "standard" neck profile on both of my builds which are very comfortable for me. But I've been trending toward thicker neck profiles over the last few years so I'll have to give the thicker neck a try.
    Others may disagree, but I've believed for years that a thicker neck gives better sustain, with all other things being equal (which, or course, they never are).

Personally, I can't handle a super thin neck like you find on some Ibanez models. I also got rid of a USA Fusion once for that reason.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      Others may disagree, but I've believed for years that a thicker neck gives better sustain, with all other things being equal (which, or course, they never are).

Personally, I can't handle a super thin neck like you find on some Ibanez models. I also got rid of a USA Fusion once for that reason.
      The EXACT reason my 90 USA Fusion Warbird is l o n g gone.....

Full Front.jpg
      "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

I don't have it in front of me, but the Thicker or Thinner options equate to something like .03mm in either direction. That doesn't seem like much but I can tell a difference. My DC600's have the standard profile. They feel good, but I've played Jacksons for a long time and this feels more like a Soloist.
        Thanks. I was hoping for a bit more difference, but i may still give it a try, since they have that 10 return policy.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom's door View Post
          Thanks. I was hoping for a bit more difference, but i may still give it a try, since they have that 10 return policy.
          Just keep in mind that if you order your guitar with an "Option 50" modification - I deleted the neck pup on my TL60 and had custom switching on my DC127 builds - then there is no returns allowed. Always good to know going in .
          Last edited by msaint65; 04-09-2016, 10:53 AM.
          "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
            Just keep in mind that if you order your guitar with an "Option 50" modification - I deleted the bridge pup on my TL60 and had custom switching on my DC127 builds - then there is no returns allowed. Always good to know going in .
            Yep. Great catch. On occasion, there are even options in the standard builder that negate returns. I can't think of an example at the moment, but that has to be watched.

Comment

Great looking guitar. As far as the neck profile, how will they compare to my MIJ Charvel pro mod? I have been looking at Carvins for a while, leaning toward a JB200 or ST300.

Comment

Originally posted by Kempo Bulldog View Post
                Great looking guitar. As far as the neck profile, how will they compare to my MIJ Charvel pro mod? I have been looking at Carvins for a while, leaning toward a JB200 or ST300.
                I haven't played one of those, so I can't comment. It does feel similar to my old Model 2, though. Just remember that I got the "Thicker Neck Profile" option.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Nah, they don't offer that pointy one any longer. The standard inline or reverse inline is like on my SC90.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]8775[/ATTACH]
                  Nice amp stand!!!
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                    Nice amp stand!!!
                    Yeah, it has that patented "baffle network" for the best in acoustical properties.

Comment

Lol That pic was taken a long time ago in Ken (WarriorX7)'s garage.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Love the RAD green with the gold hardware. I bet that thing screams!
                        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                          Love the RAD green with the gold hardware. I bet that thing screams!
                          Thanks. And yeah, it screams! I'm quite impressed with the Lithium pups, too. I was a little hesitant to order them because I kept hearing that they're voiced for "modern" tones, i.e. Dgent or whatnot. But no worries; they're great for shred and classic sounds. Very warm and balanced, but really hot.

Comment

that's easily the nicest Carvin I've ever seen.

Sweet!!
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Others may disagree, but I've believed for years that a thicker neck gives better sustain, with all other things being equal (which, of course, they never are).

I agree. I've still got my Dinky HX that I bought new in '94 or '95, but I haven't been crazy about the thin neck in quite some time.

Hamer did a study in the '90s about how thicker necks are better and more natural for your grip than thinner ones.
                              The only other Jackson I've got now is the Mark Morton Dominion, and the fat neck on that is awesome, thicker apparently than the PC1, just not that rounded. The shape kinda reminds me of the King V Dave Mustaine "speed neck" profile, just fatter. And the speed neck profile is about the thinnest neck I can take without being too thin, better than those old Jackson and Ibanez Wizard-type necks.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                I agree. I've still got my Dinky HX that I bought new in '94 or '95, but I haven't been crazy about the thin neck in quite some time.

Hamer did a study in the '90s about how thicker necks are better and more natural for your grip than thinner ones.
                                The only other Jackson I've got now is the Mark Morton Dominion, and the fat neck on that is awesome, thicker apparently than the PC1, just not that rounded. The shape kinda reminds me of the King V Dave Mustaine "speed neck" profile, just fatter. And the speed neck profile is about the thinnest neck I can take without being too thin, better than those old Jackson and Ibanez Wizard-type necks.
                                That sounds like an interesting study, for sure. Granted, the ability to reach around is ever so slightly hampered on a thicker neck, but to me, it just "feels" more solid in the hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X