Gunslinger: Mindcrime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunslinger: Mindcrime

Last summer I found a parts guitar on Craig’s List that had an 80s BCR gunslinger neck matched up with a Charvel body. The prior owner told me he had used the neck on a couple different guitars and at one point had modified the heel so it would fit on some V shaped body. After I got it, I sent it out to Lee at GMW Guitars to see what he could do with it. Lee ended up repairing the heel, cleaning up the neck and fingerboard and refinishing the headstock. Since 80s gunslinger bodies are difficult to find, I ended up having GMW build me an alder gunslinger body and used an Original Floyd Rose bridge. The original tuners came with the neck and I was lucky to get NOS BC Rich parts from Lee to finish off the guitar.

Once I knew I had a complete guitar, the hard part was deciding what graphic to put on it. Being a long-time Queensryche fan, I’ve always had this idea of using the Operation: Mindcrime graphic on a guitar. Both the gunslinger and Mindcrime were released in 1988 so I figured it would be a cool idea to put the two together. The graphic seemed like a good fit with the traditional gunslinger specs since many of the gunslingers had a face only graphic with black sides and back. I ended up sketching out the layout of the graphic using the front and back cover Mindcrime album. I worked with one of GMW’s new graphic artists, Jeff Rich at RCA Guitars, who’s been doing a lot of the complex graphics for GMW lately. Jeff was great to work with. We refined the layout and details of the graphic and he pulled it off in killer fashion. I have a bunch of progress pics from the paint process that I’ll try to post up if I can find them (I recently changed jobs and need to find where I saved the files).

So Lee finished the assembly this week and I’m pretty fired up how this one turned out. It’s being shipped now and should be here in a couple days. Kudos to Lee and Jeff for helping bring this one to life! Here’s a few pics for now. More pics and a review to follow.

Speak the word!

Niiiiiice. Very cool. Dr X the man with the cure
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Looks killer, Johnny. Congrats.

Comment

Looks awesome John - I'm blown away with how good this one looks!
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah baby! That looks amazing....great job on the design and resto!
          "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Very cool!
            John 3:16

Comment

NICE looks great

Comment

Nice!!!
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Sweet! That's my favorite 80's headstock shape.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That is awesome I was lucky enough to meet Whip at a small guitar shop in Phoenix he is a very cool guy. And I was even luckier to be able to buy the proto type Demon guitar ESP sent to the store for his appearance he even signed it for me. The Demon I have has 3 pickups instead of just 2 that the released version had.

Comment

Fuck. Yes. That is awesome all the way around.

Comment

pardon my french but that's fucking badass lol...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

very kool and detailed graphics.. i saw this on the GMW page on FB and without even seing he words I knew this graphics..I Used to be a huge queensreich fan in the late 80's and this is my favorite album by them

ONE DAY.. Ill have a guitar with a custom graphics job.. ONE DAY DAMNITT.. lol
                          GEAR:
                          #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                          #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                          #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                          #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                          #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                          AMPS:
                          1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                          ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

That is awesome! I'm a huge Queensryche fan as well and that guitar is beautiful. Well done!

Comment

Nice.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                              X