My Carvin has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. Maybe it's the less "extreme" hotness that gives it the nice definition. Either way, I'm actually loving the sound even though I was a bit skeptical based on things I've heard.
    Yeah, it seems the one thing people do to their Carvins as soon as they get them is rip the stock pickups out in favor of something else. When I got mine I decided I would play a little while and resist that in the beginning even if they sounded meh. But I liked them and they're definetly a bit different than my other guitars with Duncan's, Dimarzios, EMG, etc...
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
      Yeah, it seems the one thing people do to their Carvins as soon as they get them is rip the stock pickups out in favor of something else. When I got mine I decided I would play a little while and resist that in the beginning even if they sounded meh. But I liked them and they're definetly a bit different than my other guitars with Duncan's, Dimarzios, EMG, etc...
      To me, they sound about 98% as hot as my Soloists with Duncan JB's in the bridge. And honestly, there are times when I think JB's might be just a tad TOO hot. So this works very well for me.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Okay, so I'm REALLY in love with this guitar now! I just posted this on the Carvin board:

I got my DC600 in last Monday.

When I got it, I liked the sound overall but there was something that wasn't quite right. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something sounded slightly "lifeless" for lack of a better term. The guitar felt fantastic in the hands but it was missing a certain "oomph." I started thinking, "Maybe this is why I hear criticism of Carvin pickups."

But today, I changed strings. I took off the Elixirs and put on my standard of many years, Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings in 9-42 (same gauge as the Elixirs).

Holy cow! That's all I can say. the magic is now there in abundance! There were certain pinch harmonics I struggled to hit before and now they're present in truckloads! It has the same "bite" as my Jacksons and some others. To my ears, it's just pure sweetness.

So now I'm wondering.... since Elixirs last a really long time, and since, in my case, I thought the sound was a bit "meh......"......

....could it be that some of the criticism we hear about Carvin pickups is actually just criticism of the stock Elixir strings? Since Elixirs last so long, and a lot of people don't change their strings until they go dead or start rusting, are they blaming the pickups for the lack of (whatever it is) when it's really the strings?

Several years ago I tried acoustic Elixirs on one of my acoustic guitars because of all the glorious reviews I kept reading. I replace them in short order because I thought they sounded lifeless. And now this experience has taught me to avoid them for electric, also. In my mind, I don't care if a set of strings will last 20 years if they don't have the sound I like.

Comment

love carvin guitars never played one rarely see them ove here in britain they build some pretty sweet guitars congrats

Comment

I use the same strings and know what you mean about harmonics.

Comment

I posted in that thread also.

I remembered having the same critique of a guys Carvin a few years back. I had borrowed the guitar but wasn't really happy with how it sounded. I took the Elixers off and put on the Boomers that I normally use and the guitar sounded much more lively.
              My Toys:
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
              '94 Dinky HX in Black
              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Looks a bit like mine...you should buy it!

Comment

Sweet Carvin, I love the quilt top!!! Only thing I would have added is a scrape binding to show of the thickness of that nice Maple Cap.

Chrisolson - your flame top is sick as well!

Comment

That top just made me cum a little. wow.

Comment

That is awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                        Sweet Carvin, I love the quilt top!!! Only thing I would have added is a scrape binding to show of the thickness of that nice Maple Cap.

Chrisolson - your flame top is sick as well!
                        Thanks. I considered getting the natural body binding, but decided to go seamless instead.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Looks a bit like mine...you should buy it!

Man, I LOVE those white pickups and my next Carvin build has a 99% chance of getting them. Their online builder forces you to get bezels with white pups instead of direct mount, and I didn't want to have to call it in.

Comment

Wow what an amazing Guitar congratz. I see the Bat under the Floyd and raise you a Manta Ray under the Floyd.

Comment

Update: Now that I've had this guitar for a while, I went ahead and ordered another one. No kidding. I love it that much. I went with a DC600 again, and the specs are:

Floyd with Locking Nut
                              Translucent Crimson Red over a White Limba top (and I very recently learned that White Limba is the same as Korina)
                              Zebrawood fingerboard
                              Abalone diamond inlays
                              White pickups (C22B and C22J again. I REALLY like these pickups, contrary to popular opinion)

I don't think I've seen Translucent Crimson over White Limba before, but I think it'll look killer.

Comment

if that was a gibson with that flame imagine the cost..... sick guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X