No announcement yet.

Les Paul Pickup Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just threw a Duncan Custom-Custom in the bridge position of my BB8 LPC and it kicks much ass. I bought mine with a gold cover so it has the gold screws...not sure what color the bobbins are underneath and didnt think to try to see when I installed it
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've experimented with a lot of different brands of pots including RS. I am mostly an "on 10 all the time" player, so taper isn't all that important. In that situation, the only things that matter are the pot value and that it works properly. That can be achieved with about anything that's available.

In other words, if you are a person who adjusts volume/tone a lot, then the RS kits might be a good investment (provided you like the taper they use....some don't). If you don't adjust much, then they are a waste of money IMO.

Comment

I have fiddled with caps too. IMO, all that matters is the actual measured value of a cap. With the same values, the difference between cheap vs boutique or vintage caps is so minute that it really doesn't matter IMO. It is pretty much minutia and upgrade-itis spawned from the internet...and a waste of time.

Comment

I don't know what mahogany sounds like. I don't even know what a Les Paul sounds like. I have heard very bright, very dark, and in between examples. What I do know is that every guitar is different and pickups have to be picked on a one-by-one basis to match the instrument.

With that said, the Duncan Custom variants are quite versatile and sound good in a lot of different guitars.

Comment

I tend to push the amp harder with my LP and roll the vol down to clean it up and use the tone controls a lot so the RS kits work fine for me.
            Vintage caps sometimes lose their value so I use new paper and oil caps Luxe bees are pretty decent and I've used them a lot.
            RS has a new line of RS branded caps so I will try them next.I loved their PIO caps in the past but will try the new stuff next time.
            When it comes to 80' shredder guitars I build I go with 540 up to 570k on the vol pot and the RS/CTS super pots work really well and they don't roll down if you accidentally bump the vol knob.
            Last edited by straycat; 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Don't shoot me, but I've always liked the JB in mahogany.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                I've experimented with a lot of different brands of pots including RS. I am mostly an "on 10 all the time" player, so taper isn't all that important. In that situation, the only things that matter are the pot value and that it works properly. That can be achieved with about anything that's available.

In other words, if you are a person who adjusts volume/tone a lot, then the RS kits might be a good investment (provided you like the taper they use....some don't). If you don't adjust much, then they are a waste of money IMO.
                I am also one that stays on "10" all of the time. Might be worth the time changing out the pots for the bridge just to be sure I know what value they are. Does it really matter if it is a 500k or a 250k if it is fully open?
                No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Yes 500k should be used for a humbucker and 250k for single coils.
                  Gibson was bad for using various pots from 100k to 500k on a vol control.Just need to check them.
                  If you have a seriously bright humbucker you can use a 250k or 300k and be fine.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

500K works for humbuckers most of the time. However, as mentioned by straycat, 250K or 300K can work well with a bright pickup....and/or guitar. I also like 250K on single volume knob guitars to help compensate for the loss in loading from not having a tone pot.

Comment

Working...
                    X