Les Paul Pickup Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Pickup Suggestions?

I have a Les Paul Classic with three pickups and I would like to replace the bridge pickup with something higher output. The LP is black with gold hardware so I would like to get something that looks stock with black bobbins and gold pole pieces to match the other two stock pickups. Any suggestions?
    Looking at the SD Custom or Black Winter SH15. If I have to get a pickup with a logo, how can I remove the logo?
    I would consider EMGs but then I would need to replace all three pickups. I may consider this since I have an 85 and 81.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Some have suggested Zippo-style lighter fluid for removing logos. Dunno if Kingsford will do it just as well.

The current bridge pickup will determine whether the Custom is hotter-enough. I'm assuming it's the 498T? Next step up is the 500T, then Dirty Fingers. I liked the 500T in my Standard. Don't think I ever tried a Duncan in it.

Custom might be a bit darker than you want for the bridge (depends how they work for you personally - to me they're a touch darker than say a JB). Black Winter is supposed to be "Distortion meets 59" if I'm not mistaken.

If you go with the EMGs, I'd say put the 81 in the middle and 89 in the neck.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sully has the best trick for removing pickup logos. I have tried it on tons of my pups and it works flawlessly!

Check it out below!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qivgeM65wo

Comment

If you go Duncan, gold poles would have to be a shop floor custom (not much of an upcharge).

As far as pickups recs....would want to know if the guitar's natural tone leans toward being bright, balanced, or dark. And what outcome you are trying to achieve. High output as the only qualifier is rather vague because high output pickups can vary a lot.

Comment

Have you considered a Gibson Burstbucker pro? They have higher output than the regular 490R/498T standard pup set and slightly-better dymnamics than a PAF

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
            Have you considered a Gibson Burstbucker pro? They have higher output than the regular 490R/498T standard pup set and slightly-better dymnamics than a PAF
            I love my BB Pros but they aren't hotter than a 498T. Either are solid metal pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
              I have a Les Paul Classic with three pickups and I would like to replace the bridge pickup with something higher output. The LP is black with gold hardware so I would like to get something that looks stock with black bobbins and gold pole pieces to match the other two stock pickups. Any suggestions?
              Looking at the SD Custom or Black Winter SH15. If I have to get a pickup with a logo, how can I remove the logo?
              I would consider EMGs but then I would need to replace all three pickups. I may consider this since I have an 85 and 81.
              If it's really an LP Classic is should have a 500T in the bridge, a very hot pickup. Were the pickups swapped out?

500T is about 15K and has three ceramic pickups, similar to an Invader.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Yep, it should be the 500T in the bridge. The guitar was purchased new around 2000-2002 so it has the stock pickups. I play a variety of music through a Marshall JVM410H but this Les Paul just seems that it has lower output compared to Jacksons with JBs, Custom, Tone Zone and EMG 81 & 85. Seems to have less out than the neck.
                DonP...thanks for the information on the 500T! Maybe I need to open the cavity up and check the wiring. The pickup height is good but palm mutes are muddy and something is missing in the mid range. Guess it could be something wrong with the pickup?

Comment

Pretty rare that a pick up goes bad try upgrading your pots and caps.
                  Gibson pots are really pretty iffy at best.You might get a 500k pot and you might get a 300k pot.They use whatever is in the bin.
                  http://rsguitarworks.net has the best pot upgrade kits in the business give them a call.
                  I have installed a lot of these kits and have never had a customer that didn't think their guitar sounded a whole lot better.
                  You can go with a vintage style cap (darker tone) or modern style caps for a modern tone ( a bit brighter).
                  The RS pots have brass shafts and a smoother taper plus no drop off at all as you roll the pots up and down.
                  Gibson pots let you go from 10 to 8 then the taper starts to drop quickly by the time you get to 5 the vol will drop to 0.
                  An RS kit is the best thing you can do to improve your LP's tone and actually have control of your tone.
                  Ask Jon Shaffer,Buddy Guy,J.D.Simo,Tom Peterson,Rick Neilson,Greg Martin and a bunch of other big name players.
                  P.S. try the kit first and you might find you like the pick ups that are in it.
                  Last edited by straycat; 02-10-2014, 09:43 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for suggesting the pots and caps. Never considered this as a limiting factor.

Comment

I just dropped in a Seymour Duncan custom and a 59 in a 2013 les paul signature T. It comes with the 57 classic and classic plus. I prefer the 57 over the SD 59 but an liking the custom over the 57 classic plus. I just did this today and have only tried it thru headphones and a peavey viper amp.

Comment

I agree with several items on here- the SD Custom sounds kick ass in a mahogany bodied guitar. Pots and caps DEFINITELY will alter tone and output. I swapped all of the pots (it had a shitty 25k push/pull pot in it, fercryinoutloud!) and caps in my LP Axcess, using Alpha 500K pots and Orange Drop caps, plus swapped out the shit MIC toggle for a CTS toggle and lastly, put in a WCR Murkat Floyd Special in the bridge (my Axcess has an OFR) That thing sounds killer! Beefy and full bodied as hell without being too muddy (I play thru a JVM 205H) and responds well to some of the more shreddy techniques and whammy bar manipulations.

Comment

I'm using 520K CTS pots in my Classic Premium Plus. I also have push pull tone pots to split the 496R or 500T. And a .015 neck and .022 Orange Drop caps. Sounds bad ass. The 500T is a well respected high output pickup. If it isn't sounding great, something else is wrong.

Comment

Quality pots and caps make all the difference in the world when it comes to a Les Paul or most any Gibson guitar.
                            Every now and then you find one that is pretty good as is.
                            The 05 Std I picked up has the BB 1&2 and its a monster and I'm not a BB fan at all but these are tasty sounding.
                            Just weighed it and its a 10.2 pound log.
                            I need to try it thru my 68 Fender Bassman head and Basson 4X12 cab.
                            Last edited by straycat; 02-12-2014, 01:48 AM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Bare Knuckle mules sound great in LP's ...

Comment

Working...
                              X