ESP Eclipse II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP Eclipse II

I have the opportunity to buy an Eclipse II at a decent price.

But, doing a google search for information is a confusing pain in the tukus because the model has changed over time. Apparently, another change has taken place for the 2014 year as well, so I can't even visit their web page to get 2013 information. And, of course, all of the various options

I see things pop up that say EII instead of Eclipse. It looks like some may be made in Japan and some in the USA. I see letters like DB (not the color), and words like Distressed. Headstock emblems. Standard Series. And then to add to it, is the fact that the LTD Ec series (short for eclipse) has things like the T models. And those things always get included in ESP searches because everyone always wants to call it ESP LTD.

Can someone cut through the clutter and explain all of the Jibber Jabber quickly and painlessly.

If it helps any, this is the headstock.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM.

If that isn't confusing enough, the original Eclipse model in the '80s was a Telecaster shape!

Anyway, the ESP forum may be better able to help... maybe not.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Eclipse II means 3 knob version. The 4 knobbers were sold for a couple years in the US around 2004 (they also had a different cutaway shape).

What's the serial start with? SS means Standard Series. Custom Shop versions will usually start with a "K" (signifying the Kiso Custom Shop).....those don't come up for sale very often.

The 2013 models were a transition year and had a different style logo on the headstock that said ESP Standard Series. For the USA, starting in 2014, they have the E-II brand.

LTD models will clearly say LTD on the headstock.

That's most likely a 2005 to 2012 model Standard Series, Made in Japan. More pics would help.
      Last edited by Chad; 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        If that isn't confusing enough, the original Eclipse model in the '80s was a Telecaster shape!
        I had one of those for a short bit. It was pearl white just like the one that Izzy played in the Sweet Child O Mine video. I had to return it because it had a twist in the neck. Shame because it looked and sounded great.

Comment

I remember there being an old tele.

I know they would probably know more, but I really hate signing up for new places all the damn time. So I thought I would try here first.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            Eclipse II means 3 knob version. The 4 knobbers were sold for a couple years in the US around 2004 (they also had a different cutaway shape).
            What's the serial start with? SS means Standard Series. Custom Shop versions will usually start with a "K" (signifying the Kiso Custom Shop).....those don't come up for sale very often.
            The 2013 models were a transition year and had a different style logo on the headstock that said ESP Standard Series. For the USA, starting in 2014, they have the E-II brand.
            LTD models will clearly say LTD on the headstock.
            That's most likely a 2005 to 2012 model Standard Series, Made in Japan. More pics would help.

http://images.craigslist.org/00909_k...ad_600x450.jpg
            http://images.craigslist.org/00505_h...KI_600x450.jpg
            http://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_1...U4_600x450.jpg
            http://images.craigslist.org/00w0w_l...YK_600x450.jpg

I didn't ask for a serial number.
            As you can see, 3 knobs, vintage black with yellow body and headstock binding but white neck binding. Headstock just says ESP Eclipse, nothing on truss cover, no mention of Eclipse II.

Comment

I had one of those for a short bit. It was pearl white just like the one that Izzy played in the Sweet Child O Mine video. I had to return it because it had a twist in the neck. Shame because it looked and sounded great.
              I almost bought a black one similar to Izzy's (with the Jackson-type headstock) from GC about 10 years ago, but it was too much money. I recently saw another black one (a few months back) on GC's site with their traditional headstock, but it had a V trem which I didn't want.

Comment

@chad
                Thank you. That is the kind of simplistic answers that we need once in awhile.

Once I know that stuff, a lot of the other stuff makes more sense.

Comment

The 4 knobbers were sold for a couple years in the US around 2004 (they also had a different cutaway shape).
                  I thought the version with 4 knobs was Japan only. Interesting.

Comment

I thought the version with 4 knobs was Japan only. Interesting.
                    If what I just read is right, it was too close to a Gibson design for American lawyers to let slide. So, they ARE available in Japan, but they WERE available here.

Comment

I almost bought a black one similar to Izzy's (with the Jackson-type headstock) from GC about 10 years ago, but it was too much money. I recently saw another black one (a few months back) on GC's site with their traditional headstock, but it had a V trem which I didn't want.
                      Mine had a Synclair/ESP Floyd. Those are pretty nice for a licensed Floyd. Bummed the guitar didn't work out. I got a great deal on it too.

Comment

Yeah, the 4 knob versions can still be bought in Japan. They indeed were here in the US, but it was for a short time. Since the PRS lawsuit set precedent and opened the doors on Les Paul shapes, I'd say ESP could probably get away with going back too the 4 knob version, but I reckon they don't want to push it for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                          If what I just read is right, it was too close to a Gibson design for American lawyers to let slide. So, they ARE available in Japan, but they WERE available here.
                          Cool. I had no idea they were even available here.

Comment

That indeed looks like a run of the mill, vintage black, MIJ, Standard Series Eclipse II.

Comment

Mine had a Synclair/ESP Floyd. Those are pretty nice for a licensed Floyd. Bummed the guitar didn't work out. I got a great deal on it too.
                              I think the one I saw in GC might have been a stoptail/TOM but it's been so long I can't even remember. I'm kinda bummed I didn't jump on it, but I thought the price was a little steep at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X