Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a free plywood Explorer copy.. What is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never a bad deal when the guitar is free. Looks kinda cool. I had an old kramer striker that was plywood and didn't sound THAT bad....when it was plugged in.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I trimmed the bridge pins to get decent string height and it seems pretty playable. Broke the high E so waiting till I rewire before I restring again and set up. Neck is thicker but haven't done much messing with yet as I'm ripping out all the electronics and putting in EMGs. But sounds not bad acoustically. We'll see.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Cool keep us posted Hondo's aren't bad guitars at all.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Some Hondos weren't bad. Others were painted firewood, or Termite Chow.

The main difference between plywood and laminated tonewood is the composition. Plywood is generally made of various types of wood chips and pulp (could be any type of wood - pine, oak, ash, all mixed up) soaked in a glue bath and pressed together under a press to form sheets. Laminated tonewood is tone-grade wood (mahogany, maple, ash, etc) that is shaved in veneers - possibly the outer layers that weren't good enough for tops or acoustic sides - and laminated onto each other. They still retain decent tonal properties, and sound better than plywood but not as good as solid tonewood.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X