Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a free plywood Explorer copy.. What is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a free plywood Explorer copy.. What is it??

Not that it really matters but I'm wondering if anyone recognizes what brand this plywood body, set neck Explorer might be?? I was awakened to the wife putting it on my chest, saying her sisters boss said to give it to me. It has Schaller tuners and roller bridge that are probably worth more than the guitar. Here's a quick pic and the link to an album with more pics.. Any thoughts? http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...Axes/Explorer/
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Plywood+set neck just doesn't make much sense to me. Why skimp out on wood, and not the neck joint?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I agree. For another piece of info.. The dude is at least 55 and he says he got it in high school. That would put the guitar around 1970 or so.. The headstock seems like it was stripped and rattle canned. Can see wood grain through it..

Comment

Hell, if it plays good, throw a pair of EMGs in that bitch and call it a day
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Cort or Arbor maybe any markings in the cavities? Looks like Gotoh pick ups.
          If it is from the 70's more than likely a MIJ guitar.
          I had an Ibanez Exlplorer a long time ago that was set neck with a plywood body but the rear cavity was different.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is anyone else getting a political ad when you try to click on the photo album?

For me it freezes at the end of the ad and won't let me see the pictures...

Comment

Are you sure it's plywood? You're not just seeing the grain? Plywood will have big ass holes in the layers.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Cort or Arbor maybe any markings in the cavities? Looks like Gotoh pick ups.
                If it is from the 70's more than likely a MIJ guitar.
                I had an Ibanez Exlplorer a long time ago that was set neck with a plywood body but the rear cavity was different.
                No markings anywhere at all. I bet there was something on the HS but if there was, it's long gone.. I did spray out the pots and plug it in. The speed knob pot was an afterthought and is now a volume. The first knob is not hooked up. Middle seems like another volume?? And third may be a tone?? But everything sounds iffy. The If these are Gotohs, I know never to go near Gotohs. lol.. The bridge pup is the worst sounding pup I've ever heard. I hope there's something wrong with it and this isn't how it's supposed to be. The neck pup barely has any sound.. Sooooooo....

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                Hell, if it plays good, throw a pair of EMGs in that bitch and call it a day
                :idea:That's the probable plan.. I have a new 85 with pots sitting here. May just do the bridge only with the 85. EMGs don't care what the body is made of!!

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                Is anyone else getting a political ad when you try to click on the photo album?

For me it freezes at the end of the ad and won't let me see the pictures...
                Just tried without logging in and it still worked fine for me.. :dunno:

Wife-ish's sister texted her boss and got me more info. He's 56, was given the guitar (used) when he was in HS (about 1970 or so) to learn how to play, never touched it except to move it, and it sat in his many houses and garages since then. Probably every state from IL to AZ over the last 40+ years.

I cleaned it up, oiled the rosewood, and restrung for a set up. The frets have no wear. Trussrod works. There is a very very slight twist to the neck that isn't affecting playability as of now. There is an issue with the bridge pins. The holes are too shallow and the pins are bottoming out before any decently low string height. So I'll pull the inserts and drill deeper to fix that.. So I'll mess with it and see where it goes. But for a mess around project that cost me nothing.. Not bad..

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Are you sure it's plywood? You're not just seeing the grain? Plywood will have big ass holes in the layers.
                  Pretty clear in the cavity..

Comment

Actives. imo
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Ok, yeah, plywood. Or "laminated tonewood". If it's an Arbor, it may be neckthrough, but then again I think they didn't start that until the 80s to copy Jackson. Prior to that, they were doing bolt-ons. 70s set-neck should be a Matsumoko "lawsuit" model. Shame about the head refin.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Same with Series 10 - I don't know if they were around back in the 70s under a different name. I have a bass that's plywood.

The interesting thing I take away from this is to be careful of what you are purchasing. Set neck does not mean solid wood.

Comment

I found it.... Hondo Explorer!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerardg...7626532343362/ Maybe a "Revival" but almost positive it's a Hondo. Reading most Hondos were plywood bodies. Or as I read somewhere, "Tone Layered".. And I also read that they were made in the Matsumoko factory.. Nice job Newc..
                          Last edited by warlok; 08-10-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Ha, I was just gonna suggest Hondo. Pretty good for free.

Comment

Same here, but I couldn't remember if it was Hondo or Hondro

Comment

Working...
                              X