NGD! Les Paul Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! Les Paul Custom

How's this for a $120? It hung on a wall as a piece of art in a guys house and was purchased at an estate sale after his unfortunate demise. Yeah, I know, the pic quality sucks.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

wow!! that IS a killer deal. almost as good as my '62 strat for free!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Looks like a rosewood board in this pic.So I reserve comment.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Looks like a rosewood board in this pic.So I reserve comment.
        It is, and it's ok if you don't like it for that reason.

Comment

Im gonna call fake(not real gibson). Im no expert, but the rosewood, the inlays are too narrow and something doesnt look right about the headstock, but for $120 who the hell cares. Nice score.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Agreed. I saw someone elsewhere post a rosewood LPC. So I proceeded to google. Apparently, there are NO LPCs with rosewood, except for Epiphones and fakes.

But, $120 is a helluva deal either way.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Not really concerned with whether or not it is real or not, but here's a pic of Paul McCartney playing one with rosewood.

Also I did have a close look at the Gibson Log which does have the proper extended part on the G and has the hook on the N as it should. The trussrod cover has the proper shape, like an inverted tulip, with the correct number of screws and the Les Paul Custom script on it matches what I see all over Google. The headstock does not have what I call the "split diamond" inlay that most do but not all of them so it seems. The inlays (with the guitar sitting here beside me for close-up comparison) does seem to match Google photos as well so that may just be the cam distance and angle that makes it look "off". It has chrome instead of the more common gold found on most white ones but that doesn't really prove or disprove. Unfortunately it has been refinished at some point without regard for taping off the serial number on the back of the headstock so I can't really prove if it's real or not but everything I have researched sure points to it being real. If it's not it's a damn well made copy and at only $120 invested in it I wasn't about to pass it up. Even if it doesn't turn out to be real at the price I got it for I can "make it mine" without worrying about destroying a good sized investment of cash.

Comment

What McCartney is playing is a Standard. Those have rosewood. Customs have ebony or maple.
                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Is there anything written between the truss rod cover and the Gibson logo on the headstock?

if it wasn't for the neck inlays I would have said a standard with a swapped truss rod cover

is there a serial number on the back of the headstock?

Either way real or not $120 ... can't really complain!!

Comment

The neck volume knob should be behind the tailpiece - look at Paul McCartney's. It's also missing the diamond inlay on the headstock that should be between the truss rod cover and the Gibson logo. still, like everyone else said, pretty good for $120.

Comment

Seems that according to the Gibson site, some were in fact made with rosewood.
                      http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ic-Custom.aspx
                      http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...struction.aspx
                      From what I'm seeing, there are no "hard and fast" rules over at Gibson. Sure, production models may follow a general set of rules but as some research show, some have the "split diamond" inlay, some don't, some have script between the trussrod cover and the Gibson logo, some don't, and apparently, while most do in fact come with ebony instead of rosewood, it appears that despite popular and common belief, not all do.

Just for those who may think I'm being argumentative in this thread, I want you to know that I'm not. I'm simply doing research, taking what you guys say into account, combining all the knowledge I obtain, and trying to learn about my new aquisition. As I and many above have said, in the end, whether it's real or not isn't going to matter for what I paid, but it's still fun and interesting to find info and learn something.

Comment

Is it possible for more detailed pictures? Perhaps then it may be easier to figure out some of the subtle nuances. Again either way, if it plays well nice score!
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I'll give it a try later on this afternoon. Gonna try and get some better lighting too, these damn indoor lights always throw a yellow tint on everything and glare like hell.

Comment

Your camera sucks choads!
                            sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

It's fake. Like Pete (lhrocker) pointed out... look at the volume knob for the neck pup in relation to the tailpiece.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X