Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakeskin! Even better score!

Comment

yes the early ST-3s didnt not say USA on the headstock had ibanez edge trems & IMHO were slightly better than the later versions. unfortunately the neck/headstock transition was very thin on the earlier necks ,especially w the thru neck bolts for the lock nut & were very prone to cracking. ive snapped a few of them over the years. ive had many over the years right now the only one i own is a "missing link" transitional ST-3. its got some features of the early handmades and some features of the ST-3, but differs from the production model.

NOTE the 5-way slide switch, active preamp, kahler, the headstock has the rosewood headstock veneer that was painted black, the logo is larger and has no made in usa, the back of the headstock has the gold handmade in USA sticker, and the neck has a finish, serial# is stamped into the headstock ala the handmade neckthrus.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
        yes the early ST-3s didnt not say USA on the headstock had ibanez edge trems & IMHO were slightly better than the later versions. unfortunately the neck/headstock transition was very thin on the earlier necks ,especially w the thru neck bolts for the lock nut & were very prone to cracking. ive snapped a few of them over the years. ive had many over the years right now the only one i own is a "missing link" transitional ST-3. its got some features of the early handmades and some features of the ST-3, but differs from the production model.

NOTE the 5-way slide switch, active preamp, kahler, the headstock has the rosewood headstock veneer that was painted black, the logo is larger and has no made in usa, the back of the headstock has the gold handmade in USA sticker, and the neck has a finish, serial# is stamped into the headstock ala the handmade neckthrus.
        Did you buy that here a few years ago? I remember an axe like that and I loved the gold/rosewood/blck combination so much that I'm doing the same to a 1986 Model 4. The thing that stuck me is an early Kahler in gold that needs additional wood removed from the Model 4's trem pocket.

Maybe the one for sale here had 3 mini switches - I can't remember.

Comment

Don yes i bought it here a few years back, i was the original owner, sold it to a JCFer then bought it back, a yr or 2 later.

Comment

I've owned four different STIII's, and they are killer. I'd stay with the Edge because it is a great trem, and who knows if an OFR will intonate correctly on there.

Comment

I love my stIII as well, great tone and they still go for pretty much no money!
              Last edited by Gartron; 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Great story man. Love it.

BTW, leave that Edge in there because its probably the best trem ever but if you do want to swap just go on Jemsite and you'll probably get no end of offers to trade for an OFR.
                I wouldn't but it's your call.
                All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Working...
                X