Alternative to GMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to GMW?

I've been toying with the idea to have a super strat built and want to keep it to $1500 or less if possible. Because of price, Suhr and Anderson type stuff is out.

GMW is close to perfect for what I'm looking for but sadly I can't get past their headstocks. They also don't offer stainless steel frets which is a big deal to me.

I just saw something about Atlas guitars which is a Thailand based custom builder. Their guitars look unreal but there isn't a lot of info out there. Although the few things I've seen seem really positive. I emailed them about pricing and frets so we'll see how that goes.

I've also been looking at Warmoth but damn it's expensive when you factor in paint and all the parts plus assembly.

Can anyone recommend any other GMW type shops? There has to be other stuff out there.

Mike E

There's no other 'established' builder that I know of that'll do a custom made superstrat for $1500 or less.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Have you tried Ran? http://www.ranguitars.com/ I don't know how currency valuations affect your target price though. Ran used to be quite reasonable...
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.atomicguitarworks.com/Home_Page.php

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ar_Review.aspx
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

What about carvin?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
            What about carvin?
            +1, Check out Carvin.

Comment

You can build a pretty nice Warmoth for a lot less than $1500 if you go with the Showcase stuff.

Add a Floyd, couple of pickups, knobs, electronics, tuners, miscellaneous stuff and you could come out under $1500 easy.

I'm really happy with my Warmoth, it has a black Korina neck with ebony board/MOP inlays and 61GD frets, so it's no "stripper" and I'm sure I paid less than $1500 for it. Great playing guitar!

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies.

I want to be able to spec the neck backshape or at least have a bunch of options. Carvin necks are too thin for me but outside of that they look awesome and the prices are unreal.

The Atomic stuff looks promising; I need to contact them to find out what fret and neck shape options they offer. Same for Ran...

For some anal idiot like me who wants to spec everything, Warmoth might be the way to go but I would rather have a shop take care of the whole build process.

Comment

order a GMW to you specs as far as body, paint, electronics and cheap neck. The order a Musikraft neck to you exact specs, then flea-bay the fugly GMW neck
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
                    For some anal idiot like me who wants to spec everything, Warmoth might be the way to go but I would rather have a shop take care of the whole build process.
                    I had to drill the tuners, the pickup mounting rings, rear cover, and strap buttons, and install the Floyd bushings. The rest was just like putting a guitar together that you took apart. It was pretty easy...

If you're not a DIY guy at all then it's not for you but don't think it's anything that you need to be afraid of if you've got a little skill with basic hand tools.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post

The Atomic stuff looks promising; I need to contact them to find out what fret and neck shape options they offer. Same for Ran...

Im that same anal idiot. Im currently having my 3rd atomic being built. Contact them, you wont be sorry......
                      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Good Lord!

Shockingly shit.
                        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

This all sounds like looking for hens teeth. I'm probably wrong but if you want a custom to your specs guitar you will end up paying more than your budget if you want something that is of great quality. Do some shopping and go with what feels the best in your budget on a stock guitar.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Bulls, a ghost lady and dog-shaped mountains. That's a recipe for infamy.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              Bulls, a ghost lady and dog-shaped mountains. That's a recipe for infamy.

Comment

Working...
                              X