No announcement yet.

help me identify this guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 99% sure that it's a mid 90's PS4, before they started to make them in Japan. I don't think that the serial has any reference to the year built.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
      I'm 99% sure that it's a mid 90's PS4, before they started to make them in Japan. I don't think that the serial has any reference to the year built.

Steve
      The PS-4/JDR-94 are the same guitar.
      H-S-H. This is not a PS-4.
      And the PS-4 was originally MIJ and production went to MIK/I before the line was dropped all together.
      Could very well be part of a MF/GC run or a parts mutt.
      PS-4 neck on a PS-2 body perhaps.
      The VOL/TONE and Selector location all scream late model Performer series or JS series.
      -Rick

Comment

You're right Rick, that 1% of doubt creeps in. The other strange thing is the inlays, PS4's were offset on the bass side. PS2's were in the centre but the head stock was standard, rather than reversed. Regarding country of origin, the last of the performers that I had in my shop were Japanese before they were discontinued. I remember the earlier ones were Korean with wider spaced 12th fret position markers, as this particular guitar has.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
          I don't have a picture, but some of the JS models and "exclusive" Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/etc. versions were made in Indonesia and Taiwan.
          Those late '90s MF models had their blade switches up higher, past the volume knob area, like an Ibanez. I had one of those bodies.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            Fair enough. If two upstanding members are sure about having seen them in person, I'm convinced.
            Someone here also had either a Taiwan or Indonesian Dinky with a sharkfin on the 24th fret!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
              You're right Rick, that 1% of doubt creeps in. The other strange thing is the inlays, PS4's were offset on the bass side. PS2's were in the centre but the head stock was standard, rather than reversed. Regarding country of origin, the last of the performers that I had in my shop were Japanese before they were discontinued. I remember the earlier ones were Korean with wider spaced 12th fret position markers, as this particular guitar has.

Steve
              Easy way to tell where a Performer was made was to look at the electronics cover.
              The really cheap ones have that funky coffin lid, ESP'ish looking thing on it.
              The MIJ ones had the Ontario or SD style cover plate.
              My JDR-94 had an Ontario style route and cover plate and it was MIJ.
              My PS-2 had the wider dot spacing and it was Korean.
              -Rick

Comment

the whole thing is recessed at the bridge.

alright, so now even though we still are kinda unsure as to what exactly i'm dealing with here, anyone have any suggestions as to a reasonable price for it?

Comment

Originally posted by justdave View Post

i'm waiting on more pictures currently, but this is what i've got so far (I bought it as part of a package). I'll post more pictures as I get them. I was also told the seymour duncans are factory.
                  Hate to be the bearer of not-so-good news.........but here it comes..........I had bought one of these from MF in 2000/2001, and now it's long gone. It was on closeout for $150 with free shipping. It was an MF-exclusive price-leader model. It is Made In India. The trem is a non-branded JT-500. Original pickups are unmarked and pretty low quality (appears that yours has an upgraded pickup in the bridge). Tuners are non-branded and made in Korea. The build quality is about the same as the Indian made DX-10 & DX-10D before DX-10D was moved to Japan. I wasn't impressed with its playability or quality or sound. I vaguely recall that the neck heel is narrower on these than on a standard Jackson (probably 2-3/16 as opposed to the Jackson 2-1/4"). Not sure how low a price you have paid....But depending on that this might still have been a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                    Hate to be the bearer of not-so-good news.........but here it comes..........I had bought one of these from MF in 2000/2001, and now it's long gone. It was on closeout for $150 with free shipping. It was an MF-exclusive price-leader model. It is Made In India. The trem is a non-branded JT-500. Original pickups are unmarked and pretty low quality (appears that yours has an upgraded pickup in the bridge). Tuners are non-branded and made in Korea. The build quality is about the same as the Indian made DX-10 & DX-10D before DX-10D was moved to Japan. I wasn't impressed with its playability or quality or sound. I vaguely recall that the neck heel is narrower on these than on a standard Jackson (probably 2-3/16 as opposed to the Jackson 2-1/4"). Not sure how low a price you have paid....But depending on that this might still have been a good deal

bummer. still a pretty good deal but not what I was hoping for. youre 100% sure?

Comment

any ideas on this one? looks like a SLSMG but the inlays are off.

Comment

bummer. still a pretty good deal but not what I was hoping for. youre 100% sure?
                        99.9%..........When you get it in, we can check whether the identifiers such as no logo on trem and on tuners match my description

Comment

any ideas on this one? looks like a SLSMG but the inlays are off.
                          Looks like a DXMGT........Bolt on neck.......SLSMG is a Soloist (neck-thru)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-DXMGT-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

good call. after looking around it's a DXMGT-BCS.

Comment

good call. after looking around it's a DXMGT-BCS.
                              BCS is the color/finish code: Burnt Cherry Sunburst

Comment

Working...
                              X