help me identify this guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me identify this guitar!

alright so recently I purchased a guitar on ebay for an absurdly low price, I haven't gotten it yet but from pictures I can tell you this about it:

- it has a superstrat body (which leads me to believe it's a dinky or a soloist
    - it has a rosewood fingerboard with what i'm assuming is a maple neck (based on color)
    - it has a reversed headstock (like most dinkys)
    - it has dot inlays, not sharkfins
    - it has a recessed floyd rose tremolo
    - it has a seymour duncan doublehumbucker in the bridge and two single coils

initially I thought it was a DK2 because of the pickups, but the inlays don't match. the other thing that was suggested to me is a SL3 or SL1 custom job. Apparently the Serial Number is 00010612, which the seller says he was told traces back to their ontario factory.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by justdave; 11-20-2007, 12:23 PM. Reason: text not visible

Too many digits in the serial number to be a USA guitar. Serial makes it either Korean or Indonesian.
    Sounds like a JS 30DK, but those only have dual humbuckers.
    Could be a parts guitar or a non-US market import.
    Post a pic
    -Rick

Comment

i'm waiting on more pictures currently, but this is what i've got so far (I bought it as part of a package). I'll post more pictures as I get them. I was also told the seymour duncans are factory.
      Last edited by justdave; 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Ontario my ass. With that serial # and those dots, it's definitely an import Dinky of some kind.

Comment

that's what I said, I assumed it was japanese. I honestly think the guy just made a typo and there should be one less zero, but who knows. it cost next to nothing though so I'm not really sweating it. my main concern is just knowing what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Serial makes it either Korean or Indonesian.
            INDIAN, for fugger's sake!

I agree though; it's made in either India or Korea. I have no idea what it is, but the serial may indicate 2000 as its production year.

If it was me, I'd pass on it and save up for a MIJ model.

Comment

Originally posted by justdave View Post
              Apparently the Serial Number is 00010612, which the seller says he was told traces back to their ontario factory.

Sellers lie

What Sunbane said, except it sounds like you already ordered it.

Welcome newb
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

eh, it was more to buy that telecaster for my little brother as a gift and get myself something to play around with (I'm a bassist). considering the price I pretty much got the telecaster at a discount and the jackson for free so i'm pretty alright with that. I still can't figure out the specific model though, because all of the super lowlevel indian and korean ones i've seen either have different pickups, different headstocks, or don't have a FR tremolo. More pics in a bit hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  INDIAN, for fugger's sake!
                  Really?
                  Then I guess the ones that say "Made in Indonesia" are typos.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    Really?
                    Then I guess the ones that say "Made in Indonesia" are typos.
                    I have personally never seen a Jackson saying 'Made in Indonesia', and the circumstances around their mention in these boards have made me suspect they're a myth. I'd be happy to change my mind if someone could produce a picture of one with a "Made in Indonesia" text on it.

Comment

I don't have a picture, but some of the JS models and "exclusive" Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/etc. versions were made in Indonesia and Taiwan. I can't remember which was the origin of my old JS1, but it was one of those. That looks an awful lot like the "JD-R" sold in MF catalogs several years ago. There was a so-called "Pro" version that had MOTO sharkfins instead of the dots.
                      Last edited by Inazone; 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Superstrats are the large strat bodies not the dinky or soloist bodies.
                        Soloists are neck thru BTW,Dinky is the bolt on with the same body shape.
                        If the cavity covers are not recessd into the body my guess its a made in India guitar.The 12th fret dots are far apart that is another indication made in India.
                        Last edited by straycat; 11-20-2007, 03:58 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                          I don't have a picture, but some of the JS models and "exclusive" Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/etc. versions were made in Indonesia and Taiwan. I can't remember which was the origin of my old JS1, but it was one of those. That looks an awful lot like the "JD-R" sold in MF catalogs several years ago. There was a so-called "Pro" version that had MOTO sharkfins instead of the dots.
                          +1
                          I know I've seen them, just don't have any pics.
                          -Rick

Comment

Fair enough. If two upstanding members are sure about having seen them in person, I'm convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                              i'm fairly sure JD-R's have a single coil pickup in the middle, and humbuckers at the bridge and neck, which would mean that again, no match. This is difficult!

Comment

Working...
                              X