New to Jackson - problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65
    You can have a luthier, or yourself if your handy, and you have some clamps, pieces of wood for protection and a glue syringe with a glue like Titebond II to make the repair.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! BAD BENGAL! NO! <G!> Titebond origional is the best glue in guitar construction, followed by elmers carpenter, and "hide glue" if you're into that.... hide glue hocus pocus.... superglue has it's place as well..... but anything structural, titebond origional is what most factories use- FOR A REASON! not titebond 2, the origional.

tb origiona dries harder than all the others including elmers, and because of this, joints dont "creep" as much as other glues (slow loosening or movement in a joint) titebond 2 had been tested by a number of guitar builders, and they all agree that the origional is far superior- ----unless its for "outdoor use" in patio furniture where it lasts better in humidity/rain than the origional but that shouldnt be an issue with a guitar with a good finish on it and INDOORS....

hope you took it with the humor I intended Bengal... for some reason I dont have "emoticons". Just passing on some info I'm 'in the loop' on.

Yes it can be fixed easily- Make a well padded caul for the back of the neck- Yes you should damn well have been informed of the damage from the seller- it *is* possible it was damaged in transit, but others who ship/recieve guitars would know better than I. and the tip looks SHITE, but unless you're prepaired to have it resprayed, you cant do much about it. Hope it helps.

postal!

Comment

Performers were Japanese and Korean were they not? And the JS series made in India? I hadnt heard of the Performers being made in India. So im confused.
      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
        Performers were Japanese and Korean were they not? And the JS series made in India? I hadnt heard of the Performers being made in India. So im confused.
        Gil
        This is correct, the Performers were originally japanese, successor to the Concept line, then moved to the (short lived) korean plant.

IIRC The JS were originally Indian, then problems caused a hiatus with production continuing in Japan, and then they moved back... Though I think the JS30 Dinky was exclusiveley MIJ until recently....

Comment

The MIJ origin on that guitar added some appeal for me, although it may mean little or nothing in the final shake-down (except over the years I’ve generally found Japanese guitars to be pretty good ... older Tokai’s in particular, 1978-79)

Still I quite like the guitar, and I’d like to know a little more about it, eg is it a JT580 trem, is the 1996 date correct, & what are the Jackson labled pups (actually I don't even know what model it is!) … but I realize it’s not a particularly interesting model so I won’t bore you with those questions here.

Just as an update – I exchanged a few emails with the seller, and basically he just replied saying “never saw the crack, must be done in post, I’m very honest, I can’t do anything about it, try a complaint to postal service”.

Well, I’m 99% sure it never happened in the post, and I don’t think his advert was very honest at all. But it was only $300 inc. post (which isn’t expensive for UK), so I’ll quit worrying about it and just fix it (not sure what I can do about sloppy trem arm?).

Only remaining thing is eBay feedback – I’ve never left negative for anyone before … don’t like doing that, but can’t really see any other option (he already left positive for me before sending the guitar) … would you leave a negative?

Thanks for all your help & suggestions on this.

Ian.

Comment

I wouldn't you got a great guitar fix it and play it.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Tiddles...the guitar is a PS-2...the trem is a JT-500.
              You can change out the trem arm with a Floyd collar type.
              -Rick

Comment

Here are a few links for tuning a Floyd Rose equipped guitar.
                http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
                http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm
                http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

Check out Sully's post in the Tech Q&A section about "String gauges and Floyds: how to adjust for them". Good information in there too!
                http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

Comment

OK, guys thanks for all the replies. I’ll keep the guitar…spent Sat. fixing it, seems OK… play’s quite well & really nicely made for an inexpensive model .

Rjohnstone – thanks for that info. – I’ll definitely look for a Floyd collar type arm & see if I can change that. I also found this thread with various suggested solutions, so clearly it’s a common problem http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129&highlight=jt500 .

Razor – thanks for those links, I will check it all.

Straycat – thanks – it makes a difference to hear what others think. No I don’t always do what people say, but I do care what others say & think, otherwise what are we all here for? Yep, maybe I just wont leave any feedback.

OK, that’s more than enough about my Jackson lol.

Ian.

Comment

Leaving a neutral may be an option?

I've never left a negative, almost all my eBay transactions have been good. But once I got a Playstation-game where the seller probably deserved a negative... but I left a neutral. I'm way too kind sometimes I guess! Haha
                    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Yeah, I’ve never left a negative…he deserved it really, but life’s too short huh? More interested in playing than moaning lol!

Ian.

Comment

I see he left you a positive.

Maybe you can neg him now, or neutral?
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hi Racer – yeah he left me a +ve before he even sent the guitar, ie before I’d ever seen the damage … in the end I just didn’t leave any type of feedback for him – I thought that was more than fair, because apart from the damage he was also not apologetic or helpful about it when I emailed him.

But it's water under the bridge, because as I say the guitar was only $300 and in the end I fixed the crack & sorted the trem & tuning issues (it just needed a proper careful setup) - now the guitar plays better than any of my US Gibson’s or Fender’s, & really nicely made for an inexpensive MIJ import.

In fact it’s so good I’ve been on the lookout for another one ever since - when I teach guitar, ie 7 days a week!, I often find I need a spare 24fret/floyd guitar for the students - so I’ll try to buy either another MIJ Performer, or a Professional or a Concept, or alternatively I could buy myself a fancy US Jackson and let the students use the Performer.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                          X