Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thin vs thick neck

[ QUOTE ]
    Xenophobe, how do you order your Jackson Custom Shop necks? Do you order the Speed Neck profile (no extra cost) or a custom profile (extra cost), and if so, how do you specify it? I've been building up the courage and $ to order a JCS, but if I do lay down the big $, I want to be sure the neck will feel THIN and wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to specify a custom backshape. You specify a measurement at the 3rd fret and the 12th fret, and you can also specify the backshape... C, D, triangular, flat etc...

I've ordered my two customs based off the custom KV I owned and my warrior... these are the specs:

.725 @ 3rd .800 @ 12th flat spot "D" shape

It's the standard thinnest profile I've seen from Jackson that dates as far back as 1984, it would be somewhere inbetween a Wizard and Wizard II neck I think...
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

compared WRMG against DXMG. The WR had more sustain but the DX was thinner and easier to play AND sounded sweeter.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I feel that thin necks are better than the baseball bats they use on fenders, if that works for you. I agree that IBZ's can have necks that are little TOO thin...especially odler Wizard I's. The Jackson SD I have is just right...JUST RIGHT.
        You phrased it correctly...pure perfection.

slevy007 [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

To each his own on this kind of stuff.

Myself - I prefer larger necks I have found by having several guitars. I use to get thin necks all of the time. Then I got a PC1 and it feels great. A Strat neck always felt comfy also.

So in time I have learned that a larger neck feels more comfortable to me. I can play just as fast on I can vibrato way better because there is something to grab on to.

I don't know crap about building a guitar nor do I claim to know anything. Logically - given all else is equal - I would think the more wood the better the tone would be.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I use both - really thin oiled necks and really fat painted necks. Normally the sound is brighter on the thin necks and sometimes they sound thin acoustically. The fat necks have a more powerful tone but they can have a dull attack. But there are so many exceptions that the only way to really know is to play with many different ones and find your own favorite.
            When I record I use fat necks for rhythm and thin necks for solos. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I like them thin and fast.

My first guitar was a Peavey T-60, which had a ridiculously thin neck so I got used to very thin from the beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah me too, i loved the T-60 neck, but the body is huge!!!, went to a Vandy, and decided thin 24.75 necks were my preference
              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I used to be all weird about having thin necks, they all had to be that way as well as being 25 1/2" but anymore I don't care I have thin ones medium ones an a real fat 54 LP reissue and I love em all. It's more of a set up issue for me anymore.
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I think it all comes down to what you are use to peeing with.
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think it all comes down to what you are use to peeing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't have a solid preference on thickness so much. I had a Kelly standard back in the day, and the neck was too thin, and made my hand cramp up. However, I used to play my sister's RG550 (one of the original ones with the Wizard neck) and had no problem. Plus, my RR1 seems to have a fairly thin neck, and it feels perfect to me. I can be comfortable playing just about anything as long as it's not too extreme either way. I don't like a huge fat log of a neck, that's for sure.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                    X