thin vs thick neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thin vs thick neck

Do you think there are any differences in sound, attack and stuff like that?

Re: thin vs thick neck

Yeah. Better attack on a thicker neck for me. Chordal stuff is easier on a somewhat thicker neck, to me, also 1-11/16" nutwidth, in addition to a thicker neck is important to me, together with Jumbo frets, that makes the perfect neck, for me, personally.

Most Ibanez necks are too thin for me, I had a '97 SL2, that neck was pure perfection. The recent SL's have been getting beefier necks, so I might even like it a bit more now!

Difference in sound would be there, but I think almost undetectable by the human ear, more wood = more wood to resonate through = more/beefier sound.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

See, I find the opposite to be true... Faster fingering, easier chords on a thinner neck. I prefer a thin neck with jumbo frets. Most Jackson necks are thicker than I find comfortable... perhaps the reason that the last dozen or so Jacksons I owned were custom shop pieces.

Sound difference between a thinner and thicker neck? Perhaps accoustically, but amplified? Most likely not.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've always preferred fat necks over thin ones, from the time where I could tell a difference. My favorites include the 50s Gibson profile, wide-fat PRS, and Hamer's fat neck.

Comment

I used to prefer thin necks, but lately I've grown to like medium thick necks. When I got my Model 6, it was like a revelation - the best neck I've ever laid hands on! Soon I found that the thin neck on my bolt-on Rhoads didn't support my hand enough, and that I could play more effortlessly and for longer durations on the Charvel. I can't handle the super beefy necks though - my fingers are too short for them, and they make my hand cramp up.

Comment

I like the medium of the road necks.

My Model 5fx is just the right thickness to be comfortable for both chords and a fast attack.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I like them thin and fast.

My first guitar was a Peavey T-60, which had a ridiculously thin neck so I got used to very thin from the beginning.
              Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I love fat basepall pat necks. I like when there is a lot of wood to grab on. Wide Jackson necks are very good, SD Charvels and Wofgangs feel a little bit better but my absolute favs. are those huge vintage fender's necks.

Ibanez wizard neck are my least favourite, they suck.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Obviously, this is totally subjective. Wizards are my favorite necks.

Xenophobe, how do you order your Jackson Custom Shop necks? Do you order the Speed Neck profile (no extra cost) or a custom profile (extra cost), and if so, how do you specify it? I've been building up the courage and $ to order a JCS, but if I do lay down the big $, I want to be sure the neck will feel THIN and wide.

Comment

imho it depends on your hands

i'm huge (6'7") and i have huge hands - so no thin necks for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm only 5'5" and have smaller hands, but I can't stand thinner necks any more. You definitely get a better, more natural grip and less hand fatigue when playing a neck that's thicker and rounder. I'll take a '59 Les Paul profile, thank you! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I prefer my necks to have a little meat on them. I used to have an rg a few years ago and my hands would always hurt after playing that thing. My hands are huge, so when I played it, my thumb always went over the top of the fret board.

Comment

I can't stand the Wizard profile - too thin for me. But I can play on pretty much anything from a soloist carve up to a beefy LP neck, though probably better on the soloist neck.

Comment

Neck wood probably has a bigger effect on tone than the thickness of it, though I'm sure a thicker neck will have a slightly beefier tone.

Comment

depends thinner wider i have a jackson soloist its really thin front to back but its 1 3/4" nut & it plays awesome. now i also have some 1 9/16 nut widths & rounder fatter necks also really comfortable to me. i tried a 1 3/4 round neck hated it, way too big for me, same thing with gibby 60's slim taper way too small.

Comment

Working...
                              X