Mustaine Sig History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustaine Sig History

So what exactly was the history of the Mustaine King V? Was it first offered as a Pro series or Custom shop and then a USA series? Anyone...Anyone....
    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Re: Mustaine Sig History

I want to know too.
    Anyone...Anyone....
    [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

KV Pro (Japanese)from 93 up till around 96 or 97 then it was USA select KV1 then around 99 the Y2KV appeared. The Y2KV lasted till 2003 when he demanded that all production of it be stopped. Now we have the DV8 and the ugly ass Axxion from ESP.

Comment

OK, Dave was playing King Vs from late '86 / early '87 til he went to ESP recently. I may be wrong on some details but from what I glean from jacksonmuseum:

The USA King Vs were available as a Custom from '86 til around '90, when they became a Production model. The Made In Japan King V Pros (Dave sig) were available from '93 to '95. USA KV1 (Dave sig) from 1996 - 2000/or 01. USA Select King V became the KV2 in '96 and is still produced. The Y2KVs (Dave sig round horn V) were made from 2000 - early 2003.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Dave had at least one Rhoads model first, where he was working out the details of what he wanted. He had his first KV made custom, modified from the Robbin Crosby guitar. Apparently there was a misunderstanding where Dave thought he had an endorsement deal and was supposed to get the guitar for free. But Jackson made him pay $3000 for it. Danny Spitz told him to put away all his BC Riches and only play the Jackson to get an endorsement. Which he did, and the rest is history.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Theres a picture of his KV work order floating around, which says he only paid around 1200...or is that the 2nd KV cause I know Dave had one of his earlier KVs broken.

Comment

As the question was only for signature series:
              93-95 KV Pro and at the same time US made KV PCS with DMxxxx serial numbering. KV Pros available in black and silver sparkle, later with cherry sunburst. I've only seen black PCS models and all with floyd and 22 frets so hard to connect them with Mustaine. Details are in the catalogs and price lists of that era. These guitars were made from Poplar like Mustaines earlier Custom KVs. Poor bridge pickup choice by Jackson on KV Pros!!! I also don't like how the headstock is shorter on those.
              Then in 1996 KV1 was introduced and went through some changes during it's years. The tuners were LSRs for some time, the neck shape changed a little, frets went from jumbo to thin etc... Alder and Korina body wood options. Almost all KV1s are black or Korina. I don't recall seeing other colors. Same hardware as on KV Pro, but slightly different body shape and longer (regular) headstock.
              I don't know much about Y2KVs other than what is on the catalogs...
              My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Jani beat me to it...the PCS series included the Mustaine sig. KV...but it was equipped with a Floyd...and had the DM serial number....

I did have a KV1 that was white...not a super white, but a sorta off white...it was a '97 or '98 if I recall correctly....it was Korina too.

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

Joel are you sure it wasn't refinned? If not then it was a really rarebird. Of course anyone could order a KV1 with US select colors if they wanted but for some reason there doesn't seem to be many colors around. KV2 is a different story though.

Comment

Yeah I'm positive...I have the original hang tag and all the documentation for the guitar including the LSR instructions etc.
                    I spoke to Tim Wilson regarding it and he mentioned that alot of times any Kornina KV's that had some type of blem in the wood ended up getting painted. I'm thinking it was orig. supposed to be a Korina KV...but when the guitar got stripped I didn't see any blems what so ever in the Korina, so I don't know...there was just some writing in the neck pup cavity in marker...some initials that no one knows anything about.....

Here's a pic:
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

Cool KV Joel - Gongrats!
                      I like the layout of KV1s so it's a shame that there are only so few color options around.

Comment

Thanks All! You guys never cease to amaze me. I had the general information right just not sure on the years.
                        Thanks Again and you guys Rock! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Now to add another element to this thread, does anyone have any ideas on the production numbers for 93-95 KV Pros?

Comment

All I can say is I had 1.

Comment

I saw a natural finished Mustaine V in a pawn shop, if the serial no starts with DM I assume that its a US model, Had a tag of 450 bucks, WHAT CHA THINK?
                              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                              X