What would you change????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you change????

Inazone: Like the FT-6's that come standard on Carvin's? I LOVE those bridges as well!

Comment

Close, but imagine if the bridge "enclosed" the bridge pickup, like if a Tele had a humbucker. Here is a crappy pic of the Concept I recently grabbed on eBay. It's not easy to see, but you should get the idea...

sigpic

Comment

1. Mike Shannon and Pat McGary back at the Custom Shop

2. The guy who did the fretwork in the early 90's back in the Custom Shop.

3. Floyds done like the 89 models, not recessed but with the pullup route.

4. Star bodies dammit!!!.... neck-thru!

Comment

The non-recessed thing is a playing style thing for me. When the Floyd is not recessed, there is more room between the strings and the body of the guitar. Depending on what kind of pickup configuration you have also has an effect on this space. I like a lot of space for 'digging in', pinch harmonics, heavy rythyms etc. I just learned to play on old school guitars with non-recessed Floyds namely Charvels and Kramers. I had one of those non-recessed Floyds, WITH the back route, like Greg mentioned. The route was completely unnecessary in my guitar as you could not even pull up the Floyd into that space. The strings would fret out on the last couple of frets before that space was utilized, at least on my guitar. But at least on those guitars, that space I am referring to was present. I also briefly had a 98 Soloist SL2H. I could not play that thing, my style just would not allow me to play well, since there was almost no space between the strings and body/pickups. Usually only bolt-on guitars have the Floyd truly flush mounted against the guitar body. Most neck-throughts with non-recessed Floyds do allow for some pull up, due to the necesssary neck angle allowing for this. My Shannon Soloist and my SD era Soloist are both like this, if I didn't have the Floyd blocked, I would get a lot of upwards travel in the Floyd. BTW, the Floyd on my brand new King Kelly is much closer to the body and would allow for much less upwards travel.

Comment

I still don't get it, though. If the pickups are too close on a recessed, then move them lower. They're roughly the same distance from the strings on a non-recessed guitar, right?
            There's more distance between the wood and the strings, but how deep you diggin'? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the hardtail Strat-type bridge, those are ok, but I'd rather have a tunamatic with *stopbar*.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The neck angle makes a lot of difference. Thats the one thing I'd change with my XTRR as well. I like some pitch to my neck. I always shim my bolt ons a bit for that reason.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'd add two frets and binding to my KV3, and add Binding to my KE3. Other than that I'd like to see armstrong pickups as a choice for Jackson guitars.

Just my two cents.

Rodrigo

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Matt - The space between the strings and the body is greater on a non-recessed guitar. The pickups don't get in the way on a recessed guitar, the body does. That is why on a recessed guitar the pickup bezels are 3/16" and on a non-recessed they are 3/8" (at the bridge). I play in between the pickups. If the guitar is the ever present hum-single-single (which I hate) I lower the middle single coil as low as it will possibly go. I prefer a two hum or single hum configuration. Does that finally make sense?

Comment

Well, on my Warrior, my EMGS are completely bottomed out... and are getting groves in the pickups from rubbing. If it were non-recessed, there'd be an extra 1/4" of clearance...

It plays well, but I wish there were more room between the strings and the body.

It's much easier to play with a non-recessed, IMO... getting nuances, artifical harmonics and palm muting are all much easier.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Very well said!
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X