Holy grail/best all time models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jr. View Post
    Why is the "Professional Pro" considered better than other Professional soloists (or other Professional models) that have rosewood boards and (assumingly) flatsawn maple necks (literally the only differences, with ebony vs rosewood being a matter of preference).

Prior to everyone listing their own personal wants, the OP asked a general question and I answered with a general answer.
    Don't let a sale's pitch fool you. Not all MIJ were 'equal to' the USA guitars. It was only the Professional Pro (and Model Series) that can claim that.

Comment

Why is the "Professional Pro" considered better than other Professional soloists (or other Professional models) that have rosewood boards and (assumingly) flatsawn maple necks (literally the only differences, with ebony vs rosewood being a matter of preference).
      the two reasons you listed are definitely considered improvement by, I would expect, most people. you are right, they are subjective, but statically speaking ebony is more desirable. fwiw didn't the soloist xl and std also have quartersawn necks, too?

there is another difference you left out, too: the inlaid MOP logo on the soloist pro.

also there were electronics difference that I don't really care enough about to enumerate

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

the two reasons you listed are definitely considered improvement by, I would expect, most people. you are right, they are subjective, but statically speaking ebony is more desirable. fwiw didn't the soloist xl and std also have quartersawn necks, too?

there is another difference you left out, too: the inlaid MOP logo on the soloist pro.

also there were electronics difference that I don't really care enough about to enumerate
        Not sure about whether the other models had quartersawn necks - I just assumed they didn't because the "standard" JDM model specs don't specifiy (whereas they do for the "custom" models). That probably doesn't mean a great deal though as there are many inconsistencies between JDM and non-JDM models (e.g., "soloist arched-top" JDM models had 25.5" scales while all the others were 24.75").

And yep, re electronics, you had the mid-boost on the Prof. Pro models. Although a premium feature, this is also a matter of preference. I've removed the mid-boosts on the two guitars I have that came with them.

So you add a few minor details together, arguably a matter of preference except the quartersawn neck and the logo inlay, and you get a model that is reputably head and shoulders above all the others. lol. I understand the desirability, but the Prof. Pro's reputation for relative quality goes beyond that. Quality wise, there's no difference to other Professional (or JDM-equivalent) models. But I guess we're not really talking about quality when we're talking about "grail guitars".

Comment

Rare or feature don't mean everyone would love 'em. I've had three Charvel model 88's and the only one with the 95 pickup in it didn't sound like shit and they really were not that great of guitars. The only reason that I've had more than one is because of trade value at the time. I wish I would have kept one to sell now
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

Prior to everyone listing their own personal wants, the OP asked a general question and I answered with a general answer.
            Don't let a sale's pitch fool you. Not all MIJ were 'equal to' the USA guitars. It was only the Professional Pro (and Model Series) that can claim that.
            It's really not that simple.

If Prof Pro series can "claim" to be on par with USA, so can the JDM equivalents (Custom series, as well as virtually any model from the 1990 catalogue as they were all on Custom series level, as well as Professional series [signature models]).
            If the model series can also "claim" it, so can the Charvel "Professional" series including 550/650/750XL. Also, the model series included bolt-ons (models 1-4) that were more basic than Jackson Professional or JDM Custom or Standard series Dinkys.

Comment

Not sure about whether the other models had quartersawn necks - I just assumed they didn't because the "standard" JDM model specs don't specifiy (whereas they do for the "custom" models). That probably doesn't mean a great deal though as there are many inconsistencies between JDM and non-JDM models (e.g., "soloist arched-top" JDM models had 25.5" scales while all the others were 24.75").

And yep, re electronics, you had the mid-boost on the Prof. Pro models. Although a premium feature, this is also a matter of preference. I've removed the mid-boosts on the two guitars I have that came with them.

So you add a few minor details together, arguably a matter of preference except the quartersawn neck and the logo inlay, and you get a model that is reputably head and shoulders above all the others. lol. I understand the desirability, but the Prof. Pro's reputation for relative quality goes beyond that. Quality wise, there's no difference to other Professional (or JDM-equivalent) models. But I guess we're not really talking about quality when we're talking about "grail guitars".
              well those specs, namely the ebony board and mop logo, could otherwise only be had on the usa. that's where the comparison lies I guess

Comment

I find it hilarious that Production guitars are now considered Holy grails. I guess it's because all the Custom shyte is locked away and Jackson (sorry, Fen-duh) isn't making them.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I've said numerous times, that in 2050, no one is going to be talking about the 2020 imports the way we talk about 1990 imports in 2020.
                  There's a difference between a pocket square that you use, wash, and use again. Versus some disposable Kleenex that you use once and throw away.

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                  I find it hilarious that Production guitars are now considered Holy grails.
                  it kind of has to be production models. Otherwise we are sitting thing coveting serial 666 for no reason other than "Am I Evil". I got me 69 and 1313, woohoo.

Comment

Good point. Or artist-ordered guitars...
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                    X