Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy grail/best all time models?

Hi guys!

I've recently been getting into the idea of scouring reverb/ebay/stores etc to find used guitars that are considered all-timers/holy grails and the like (whether overall or from a bang for your buck, mega cheap used now but USA/MIJ made quality etc), and figured this place was better than any to be in the know if there's certain particular models or just eras that are considered the best ever? An example with another company, Ibanez, is the American Masters series from 1989-1991 is considered pretty much objectively the best RGs, if not just superstrats ever.

I would not be surprised if that answer is just pre-FMIC, though I'm sure at least with Jackson it helps that Mike Shannon has been there the whole time, so the consistency may be very good through all the years...perhaps also just Grover era?.

I also heard that the Charvel Model 6 is considered really good, as well as the Jackson professional MIJ (pre-Caparison) series.

Thanks!

Originally posted by jco5055 View Post
    I also heard that the Charvel Model 6 is considered really good, as well as the Jackson professional MIJ (pre-Caparison) series.
    The Model Series were nice, with the neck thru models being the better ones (and harder to mix-n-match). But because they were mass produced, they would hardly be considered a holy grail. Great guitars that should be in everyone's collection, but finding one of them is like finding a tree in the woods.
    In terms of hard to find Model models, the 7 8 88 8M are the rarest.

*there's also some odd ball models, like the Model 5fx, that were slightly modified versions of other models. These are slim in numbers making them hard to find.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-15-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

While the other MIJ guitars were nice, don't let sales pitches steer you wrong.
      The best Jackson MIJ guitars were the Professional Pro guitars.

Not the Pro. Not the Professional. Not MIJ in general. The Professional Pro.
      Those are the ones (and the Model Series) that are considered "equal" to the US models.

*Remember, at the time, Jackson were all "custom" guitars. There were no production guitars. In hindsight, the Model Series were so good (close to the original, in both design and quality), that many of us look at them as the original Select line - which is the USA made guitars that conform to a standard design without any of the frills of customization.
      I have said many times; I do not think in 2050, we are going to be talking about the 2020 imports the way we talk about the 1990 imports in 2020.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-15-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

As far as interesting pieces that should belong in everyone's wishlist:
        - The glow in the dark Universal Monsters are always a good find. There's me with Frankenstein and Phil Collen with Dracula.
        - Mick from Slipknot was talking about the design of his recent signature series. He told the story about his first Jackson... It is too long to type. But, there were a few guitars where the neck was so thin, they couldn't take anymore wood from the neck so they had to bore the fretboard to help accommodate the truss rod. It would be cool to own a 'thin neck' Jackson, being that they are known for thin necks. How thin could a thin neck get.
        - Any Vinnie Vincent guitar. Whether it is his personal guitars or his signature guitars.
        - The Doug Aldrich signature was for the Japanese market, making it not readily available in the USA.

Comment

wow, thanks for the responses!

Comment

For me it's the Model series especially the Model 2 and 3DR. I also really like the Predator. The Predator and 3DR's are harder to find so they're more of a grail to me. I've owned several USA made guitars and IMHO the MIJ Charvels are just as good as the USA made ones. I sold all my USA made guitars and kept my MIJ ones.

The Lynch Sub Camo and a Hot Rod Flames would be my USA made Charvel grails. I had a USA Lightning Sky Fusion and it was a bad ass paint job. Couldn't stand the short scale or the middle pickup so I moved it down the road years ago.
            Last edited by Razor; 12-17-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I think seeing one of those USA CS Lynch Sub Camos f/s would really give me GAS. Another would be the Ibanez "Geiger". Not the sticker one but a real etched model Shrg1z.

Comment

A Korina KV1...I wished I'd jumped on one 10 years ago...
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

For me because I'm a big fan of the 24.75" scale fusion series it would be the Charvel 750XL. They were only made for one year IIRC. Maybe a little over if you count when production started and ended. Now with the crazy Covid prices they are close to what Jackson custom shop prices were before the price increase when they do pop up. Beyond that I'd agree with the early '90s MIJ Professional Pro series. Though I haven't played one my Professional series are my favorite guitars so if they are better than them I'd say they're pretty awesome.

Comment

Professional Pros in general are great but everyone knows about them. The first wave of Professional models however are a little more special to me. I would also include the original Warrior USA and Pro for grails I'm personally into. Grover Jacksons and Jackson Stars are full of cool high end imports and even USA models no one talks about, so that qualifies as well.
                    Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                    My collection also there!

Comment

By no means the best ever, as that is so subjective, or a grail guitar, but if you ever see any of the single hum Marty Friedman Kelly's out there, they are pretty limited for a production guitar (only issued for a few particular years in small quantity I believe) and they have that incredible USA workmanship and feel and fast neck.

The green, red and blue quilt tops (see my photo) were seemingly more limited than the black colors based on discussions on here a long time ago.

Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

For the MIJ, the Professional series Collen Arch-top and the Professional Pros are my favorites.
                        For USA, I'm always particular to the PC1. It is the most versatile Jackson I've ever played and the build quality (wood) on these has always been fantastic.
                        The sustainer is a pain in the ass when it breaks, but I find that to be pretty rare that they die. Most cases it's just shitty wiring, which they suffer from frequently, but easily corrected.
                        -Rick

Comment

If I had known back in 1990 what I know now, my first guitar would've been a 1990/1991 Warrior Pro. I have one, but its battered and cost me stupid money because of the exchange rate.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

+1 on the warrior pro. may be a niche thing, but the rarity plus the fact they never did another warrior quite like it gives it the legendary status.

Comment

I also prefer the bevels on the 1990=1991 Warriors compared to later models. Bigger bevels, more comfy on the forearm. Also helps the microwave meal belly too...!
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X