Country of manufacture of 2021 SL3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country of manufacture of 2021 SL3R

Hey everyone, new user here. I’m considering purchasing the new Soloist SL3R in mirror finish and I notice it doesn’t state where it’s being made.

I wanted to know if the experts knew where they’re making them or at least where these models are usually made.

linky:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...l3r/2910000501

Thanks all!

I think most of the pro series neck thrus are made in indonesia these days

edit: if these are legit pics, that would indicate china: https://reverb.com/item/38127228-new...nish-pre-order
    Last edited by metalhobo; 02-14-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I did find it suspicious that the photos didn’t have the serial and COM on the back.

Thanks for the find.

Comment

I have long suspected omitting the country of manufacture is a strategy of plausible deniability for the Jackson and Charvel brand, or possibly being "ashamed" to proudly display the decal of a non-American manufacturer on the website. (You'll see, in the first link at the bottom of this post, where I noticed Charvel started hiding their country of manufacture from the headstock face for the Mexican Pro-Mods, where it was previously prominent on the headstock face for the American and Japanese versions from 2008-11.)

Don't forget these were once exclusively custom-made American instruments. There was a prestige about them.

Fast forward to 1986 and the guitars became mass produced, starting with the Charvel Model Series which were made in Japan, and 1990 for the Jackson Professional Series (also made in Japan) and whatever "series name" the American-made production models were called. An elitist might have derided these moves as "cheapening the brand" but I doubt they would have foreseen the trend summarized in the next paragraph...

Over the years, Korean, Indian, Taiwanese, Chinese, and Mexican (am I missing any?) made Jacksons and Charvels gradually appeared. There is a general trend towards "fishing down the food chain" in manufacturing due to less expensive labor.

More reading here:

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...a-recent-thing

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...59#post2538459

Comment

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna wait until they release it this Friday and see if I can find any reviews. I want to see how Jackson is handling QC.

Comment

Just read/watch any reviews of Chinese-made Jacksons. They should paint a general picture of any Jackson coming out of China. That is, unless you wanted a review specifically about the SL3R.

Then again, it's prudent to evaluate every instrument on its own merits. There can be some flawless instruments coming out of developing countries, and lemons made in first world countries.

I had a good experience with a Chinese 2013 JS32T Rhoads that I wouldn't hesitate acquiring another Chinese-made Jackson for the right price, and if the quality in the fit and finish were the same or better. My opinion could have been very different if the guitar was terrible. I always try to be open-minded.
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-14-2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I have a China made Jackson Gus G San Dimas, retails for $1299, (neck through, so you could say similar to a soloist). As a point of reference I have a Jackson Pro SL2 in metallic purple made in Indonesia (retails for $899), a Pro SL2M, Indonesia, $899, a Jackson Pro Shadowcaster, Indonesia, $899, and some Mexico made Charvel Pro Mods (again around $899 retail). The Gus G is nice, but not $1299 nice, the Shadowcaster, the SL2’s, and the Pro Mods are better, especially for the $400 less in retail price.

As mentioned above, you can get a good one (or a bad one sometimes), and China production is getting better, but in comparison to the ones mentioned above, the Gus G should be priced (to me) more like $799 based on quality, how well it can be set up, fret ends, etc.

in my case, where else was I going to get a neck through Jackson reverse strat headstock without having to pay $5000+ from the custom shop?, so a used mint Gus G with Jackson plastic hard case for $1000 fit the bill for me.

the new SL3R Mirror retails for $1399, but if one really wants a mirror finish guitar, its really the only option out there.

Comment

It’s also the upgraded hardware: Seymour Duncans instead of OEM and 1000 FR tremolo instead of the standard FR. I have a low-end Jackson and an RG550 and both use OEM pickups. If I’m gonna get something better I want brand name pickups.

I appreciate everyone’s input.

Comment

Just make sure there's a good return policy. That's pretty much applicable to anything.

You're bound to get a good one whether it be the first or third.
                  Besides, mirror finishes at this price point must be rare, no?

I'd probably suffer a couple duds to land a good example of this model if I was looking for a mirrored guitar.
                  Hell, I'd take a dud off of someone's hands at the right price just to hang it on the wall.

My only Chinese Jackson is my 2019 Minion.
                  Aside from sharp fret ends (which aren't bad, but noticeable) the little sucker has zero visible flaws.
                  The nut was filed very well with low action and the frets look and feel really nice.

I had a $900CAD Chinese Ibanez Iceman with atrocious frets.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

All the premium graphic finishes are coming out of the Chinese "Y" factory (JS are made by Weibo with a CWJ serial, every graphic Jackson are CYJ). Swirls, Crackles, and now Camo/Mirror. Its not surprising, these finishes are still a 400-500 dollars minimum upcharge on the USAs, used to be a 300+ upcharge on the MIJs for the Swirls. The Smashed Mirror Kelly still ends up being 1k, above quite a few Pro Series model and has barebone Jackson pickups, with the other X-Series Kelly being 650. The SL3R is 1400, the standard solid color SL3 Soloist is 1k. So its still around a ~350-400 upcharge even with Chinese production being less expensive.
                    Last edited by Crumbling; 02-15-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I am wondering how the mirror finish is made. Is it a real mirror? Is it a thin reflective sheet with clear on top or what? And how does it work with basswood which is somewhat a soft wood. Also how will it age?

I agree that for a chinese guitar 1,4k is alot.

Comment

I saw somebody on saying it’s not real mirror because that would make it super-heavy. So it’s a plastic finish according to him. I did see a video of Marty Friedman showing off his signature shattered mirror model. He mentioned the cracks are subtle which makes sense if it’s a technique achieve with plastic or some other material.

Comment

"real" mirror? if it's smooth and highly reflective it's a "real" mirror.

do both of you mean real glass? yeah, that would be doubtful, and also undesirable.

Comment

Yes, I meant glass. And like you said it’d probably be undesirable due to fragility. I don’t really care as long as it’s well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Theothergflo View Post
                              It’s also the upgraded hardware: Seymour Duncans instead of OEM and 1000 FR tremolo instead of the standard FR.
                              That’s exactly what my SL2/SL2M/Pro Mods have.

Comment

Working...
                              X