Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to repair "pushed in feet" on Jackson/Charvel SKB cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to repair "pushed in feet" on Jackson/Charvel SKB cases?

In another topic posted by katorocks (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...16#post2540116) he shared a photo of a metal foot that has been pushed in on his plastic & foam chainsaw case (image below). Apparently this is also not uncommon on SKB cases of the 1990s with metal feet inadvertently being pushed into the plastic shell. This recently happened to the case for my Shannon Soloist and I'm mystified how (or when) it happened because I only ever set the case down softly, and almost always on soft carpet. Now the damn case doesn't balance well when standing on the edge with the feet (handle side up).

What's the procedure to pull that foot back out and fix the problem?

Thanks!

Get the foot out and use lots of glue or epoxy to glue it back in. I dont know how they are fastened there in the first place.
    That foot in the picture looks like its allready come off and its just jammed in the hole. You would just have to pry it off there with a screwdriver or something like that.

Comment

Thanks. Mine is completely sunken in, as if the foot was pushed straight and evenly into the shell. Can't imagine how I will pry it out considering the foot has the same diameter as the hole, and using any prying tool would increase the apparent diameter of the foot (ie - too bit to exit the hole when gripped with the tool).

Comment

I guess this qualities as a Dumb Question

Is it possible to remove the interior and get it out?
        Then, epoxy a strap of plastic over the hole from the inside, and epoxy the foot at the correct depth, to the plastic strap piece?

Ignorant over here, that's what prompted me to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post

Is it possible to remove the interior and get it out?

totally possible. but then you have to get the interior back in.

Also, when hinges come "unhinged", you reattach those from the inside. But they can usually be done without ripping anything out.

Comment

Good question JJ119, and good solution proposed. Attached is a video for the newer style SKB cases (the ones with TSA latches) but I imagine lifting up the fur-and-foam insert would follow the same principles as seen in the video.

I'll think about it.

This foot problem is probably why the newer SKB cases have larger feet, made of plastic, and molded as one piece / part of the external shell. The older metal feet were always very vulnerable to getting pushed in.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

totally possible. but then you have to get the interior back in.

Also, when hinges come "unhinged", you reattach those from the inside. But they can usually be done without ripping anything out.
              My father in law has had good luck using slightly larger rivets to replace broken rivets as long as the hinge and plastic are still intact of course.

I would figure that the hard part would be getting the feet back down out of the body. No way I'd want to take the interior apart myself. Epoxy should work pretty well to glue it back together if you can get the feet back out.

Comment

and if anyone wants to try to take out the guts.... don't be cheap when putting it back in.
                don't cut corners. don't buy cheap stuff.
                Otherwise, you are going to get glue on your guitar when it leaks through. Or you will open up your guitar after a long trip, only to find a snapped neck because the guts weren't properly attached and your guitar bounced with every pot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

My father in law has had good luck using slightly larger rivets to replace broken rivets as long as the hinge and plastic are still intact of course.
                  the hinges, on NOTP's case don't use rivots.
                  there are 4 prongs that poke through the plastic, and then bent to hold it in place.

Comment

Since you guys are talking about rivets, here's my old thread about this very same SKB case where I had to pay a luggage shop to replace the broken handle, because I didn't own a rivet gun: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...hannon-soloist

Yesterday I tried improvising to get the foot back out. I used duct tape, tried to get good adhesion to the foot, and yanked in a swift motion. Unfortunately, the foot remained lodged inside the shell.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

the hinges, on NOTP's case don't use rivots.
                      there are 4 prongs that poke through the plastic, and then bent to hold it in place.
                      Understood.

Just noting some other things I've seen done like riveting when it just had rivets or drilling and using rivets. Sometimes there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Yesterday I tried improvising to get the foot back out. I used duct tape, tried to get good adhesion to the foot, and yanked in a swift motion. Unfortunately, the foot remained lodged inside the shell.
                      That sucks. I was hoping you would find a way to get it back out. I wonder if you could drill a small hole in it to put a screw into it for something to grasp when you're pulling on it? Of course I say that as a last resort but I can't imagine I'd ever want to remove the interior to try to push a foot back through. That just looks and sounds like it would be a total pain in the ass.

Comment

you could try pushing the foot out by going through the inside of the case by making a small hole in the padding/foam and use something long and thin like a screwdriver to force the foot out from the inside. I'm not sure how "furry" the inside is; if it's very furry, the hole might not even be noticeable. if it's more velvet-y, you might want to patch it up afterwards.

Comment

My bad!
                          Now that it's been mentioned, I don't know how the interior of my Fender and Jackson cases are put in. I had made an ass um mation of myself, as usual. My Ibanez X case would be a bear! It feels like some really thick cardboard in some areas, padded wood, and hard foam. I don't think that particular case would be very easy to find and probably not economical.

@Number Of The Priest
                          Thanks for that link. There was an attached vid showing how someone fixed a cracked case.

Well Heck folks.
                          I wish I had knowledge like you!!

Comment

Thanks for the honorable mention. My case is in good shape other than the foot issue. I just don't have the skills to fix that sort of thing. I may put it up for sale here soon if anyone is interested. I do believe it fits a neck through but I am not sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X